Away Match Day Thread 16/01/21 L1 Northampton Town v OUFC - POSTPONED

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has already been said, in the current situation clubs find themselves in NTFC should have done everything in their power to see this game played and prevent any more of a fixture backlog than there already is.

In my opinion the cancellation of this game is even more worthy of general anger than a team having to cancel due to covid infected players. There is absolutely no excuse for a professional football club to have to cancel a game due to current weather conditions.

It really is poor and the sooner clubs like NTFC return to non league or Sunday football the better.

As has already been said, in the current situation clubs find themselves in NTFC should have done everything in their power to see this game played and prevent any more of a fixture backlog than there already is.

In my opinion the cancellation of this game is even more worthy of general anger than a team having to cancel due to covid infected players. There is absolutely no excuse for a professional football club to have to cancel a game due to current weather conditions.

It really is poor and the sooner clubs like NTFC return to non league or Sunday football the better.
I still think the first Crewe one was the worst Tbf. At least Northampton haven’t deliberately exposed our players to covid.

Can see us playing three games a week with a threadbare squad at this rate. Of course the EFL would pounce on us if we were not able to full a fixture due to having no players thanks to the squad amount cap... Football is broken.

Even after today, we're still not the club in League One that's played the fewest games - Accrington, Brizzle and Doncaster will have played fewer, whilst Pompey, Posh and Ipswich will have played the same.

I'm frustrated as well, but hey - most of our first team will have essentially had an unscheduled winter break this year! Maybe that will hold them in good stead in the second half of the season?

EDIT: Though I will note that after Tuesday, barring more postponements, it will be only Accrington that have played fewer games than us in League One (and Brizzle, Doncaster & Ipswich will have played the same).
Remind me - Why aren't we playing Tuesday night, when almost everyone else from League One is?

Last edited:
Wouldn’t need stewards....no crowd @Fred
I may be wrong, however, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that a (small) number of stewards are required even without any crowd- presumably for, in the unlikely event on a few misguided fans turning up and either attempting to view the, behind covid closed doors, match from inside the stadium by somehow gaining illegal entry, or to deter fans from viewing the game from a vantage point ( possibly a dangerous one) outside of the ground?

* edit- if memory serves weren't there stewards as well as police in the vicinity, of the few watching the debacle match V Sw*nd*n over the fence end,from the roof of a van in the bowlplex carpark, (for example)?

True. But the Ref calls it off four and a half hours before kick off? He is as much to blame. He could have left it for another three hours to allow ground staff to work on it.

A few people would have to be available at short notice, including medical support.
Thought the clubs own staff would be the medical and I’m sure St. John’s would come even at short notice as they would have already been booked.

This would never have happened with a properly drained modern pitch.
They probably had the money loaned to them for that purpose but with Northampton’s history and funds and knowing how Kelvin Thomas likes to squander other people money.

I may be wrong, however, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that a (small) number of stewards are required even without any crowd- presumably for, in the unlikely event on a few misguided fans turning up and either attempting to view the, behind covid closed doors, match from inside the stadium by somehow gaining illegal entry, or to deter fans from viewing the game from a vantage point ( possibly a dangerous one) outside of the ground?

* edit- if memory serves weren't there stewards as well as police in the vicinity, of the few watching the debacle match V Sw*nd*n over the fence end,from the roof of a van in the bowlplex carpark, (for example)?
H&S etc would demand stewards on site as well but I’m sure the club could muster stewards and ground staff etc at short notice, particularly if swapping venues becomes an option in the future. Delay kick off for an hour so if needed.
As 3pm passes Its irrelevant now and of course only works where clubs are short distances apart ie hour or so drive away.
If many more games are postponed because of weather (Greta will have the answer) these, added to the Covid related postponements will mean that clubs should look at other more ‘radical‘ options to clear the backlog.

Well they can send the stewards to the top of the mat mound by McDonald’s because you fleet a good view from there but as regard the lido Sixfields well that’s just a joke of a ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom