Matches 15 years today

Patto was keen on Beckford as well, who was playing relatively locally in non-league, but Leeds signed him instead. 100% convinced that we wouldn’t have gone down under Patterson. He took five points from his three games in charge, and seemed to know exactly what to do to keep things steady. That was all that we needed, and the players were happy to keep things simple and get through it. As much as Smith will always be a legend, and I don’t wish to speak ill of him, he badly underestimated the situation. I think he was of the belief that his ragtag bunch of reserves from higher up the divisions would swashbuckle through the last couple of months. Between that and the terms of the deal, the club nearly died.

Denis Smith sabotaged the Wrexham side so badly that he should’ve been arrested for match fixing, and we couldn’t even beat them. Getting relegated that season took real talent. Horrible.

I'd forgotten about Beckford. If I remember correctly, we played Yeading in a PSF and signed Rob Hughes on the back of that whose Oxford career was short lived. The player we overlooked from that game was DJ Campbell who signed for Brentford ...

The recent OUFC Official podcast covered the 2005-06 season and Nathan Cooper agreed that Patto had worked out who he could and couldn't trust from the squad to keep them up. Throw in one half decent striking option and we would have been ok. That mad March with the storming of the boardroom and the takeover felt at the time to be a cathartic release - instead it's been an albatross around our neck since.

The funny thing is that I never thought we were completely terrible that season. In fact, when you ask Oxford fans to name their worst every players and managers, not many emerge from that season. It's your usual mix of Anthrobus, Jarman, McGuckin, Diaz, Salmon, Gaston etc. There were a lot from 2005-06 who are viewed with fondness like Basham, Hargreaves, Wilmott and N'Toya.

It was a series of touchpoints that could and should have kept us up. The Bradbury contract situation, the sales of Hackett and Craig Davies, the failure to land a decent striker (Tim Sills had a certain logic even if it didn't work in practice, Scott Fitzgerald filled in for a month, Andy Campbell and Neville Roach were the pits, Stuart Beavon was on trial with us at the start of the season), not holding onto Warren Goodhind for longer, failing to find a replacement for the past-it Matt Robinson, the Rushden away performance, not sticking with Patto for the run in, Jim Smith's Portsmouth reserves attempting to keep us up. That it came down to the Orient game was failure in itself.

I'd forgotten about Beckford. If I remember correctly, we played Yeading in a PSF and signed Rob Hughes on the back of that whose Oxford career was short lived. The player we overlooked from that game was DJ Campbell who signed for Brentford ...

The recent OUFC Official podcast covered the 2005-06 season and Nathan Cooper agreed that Patto had worked out who he could and couldn't trust from the squad to keep them up. Throw in one half decent striking option and we would have been ok. That mad March with the storming of the boardroom and the takeover felt at the time to be a cathartic release - instead it's been an albatross around our neck since.

The funny thing is that I never thought we were completely terrible that season. In fact, when you ask Oxford fans to name their worst every players and managers, not many emerge from that season. It's your usual mix of Anthrobus, Jarman, McGuckin, Diaz, Salmon, Gaston etc. There were a lot from 2005-06 who are viewed with fondness like Basham, Hargreaves, Wilmott and N'Toya.

It was a series of touchpoints that could and should have kept us up. The Bradbury contract situation, the sales of Hackett and Craig Davies, the failure to land a decent striker (Tim Sills had a certain logic even if it didn't work in practice, Scott Fitzgerald filled in for a month, Andy Campbell and Neville Roach were the pits, Stuart Beavon was on trial with us at the start of the season), not holding onto Warren Goodhind for longer, failing to find a replacement for the past-it Matt Robinson, the Rushden away performance, not sticking with Patto for the run in, Jim Smith's Portsmouth reserves attempting to keep us up. That it came down to the Orient game was failure in itself.

Believe that friendly was basically set up during talks around Campbell and then he signed for Brentford in the June before it.

That’s a brilliant summary btw, had forgotten half of those awful decisions. The core of the squad was absolutely fine and 52 points should keep you up, but the cut backs in January reflected the boards view that we weren’t going anywhere and that’s when we started really going backwards. If Smith had come in as DoF and Patterson had have been given N’Toya alone we’d have finished halfway up.

Believe that friendly was basically set up during talks around Campbell and then he signed for Brentford in the June before it.

That’s a brilliant summary btw, had forgotten half of those awful decisions. The core of the squad was absolutely fine and 52 points should keep you up, but the cut backs in January reflected the boards view that we weren’t going anywhere and that’s when we started really going backwards. If Smith had come in as DoF and Patterson had have been given N’Toya alone we’d have finished halfway up.
I was on holiday and missed the Orient game!

I always think we got relegated through carelessness- we never really looked in danger, and Kassam sold our best players

another thing but wasn’t that the only time that season we was in the bottom two the last game

We would have jumped a whole two places if we’d won just one more match. Since automatic relegation had come in for the 1986-87 season, no side had been relegated from the league on 49 points (Barnet surpassed it in 2012-13 on 52). Again it reveals that we weren’t truly terrible and sleep walked into that relegation.

another thing but wasn’t that the only time that season we was in the bottom two the last game

I think we slipped into it after the Wrexham draw. That and the final day were the only times we were in the relegation zone.

And with the day ending badly and the tears that were being shed by many an U’s fan old and young male female it didn’t matter we were all passionate for Oxford Utd that day and still are 15 years shows how loyal we all are. Disappointed with the rent a mob bunch of stewards employerd that day and their bullish “ I’m hard “ attitude but politely reminding them if they pushed my grandson it wouldn’t end nicely for them, but then post match leaving the Kastad and seeing a few Orient fans giving it large from the safety of the North stand the remonstrating with a similar pattern with fingers but to be pushed by a Copper and being threatened with arrest if I didn’t move on, did sour the day some what more.

I was only 11 at the time so I don't think the full impact of what had happened hit me the way it did the rest of you. But by god did I understand by the time 2010 rolled around. Celebrating on the pitch of the team you've just relegated is a scummy thing to do no matter the circumstances. I wouldn't even do it if we did it to Swindon. Orient have been a team I really don't like, not quite on Swindon level, but certainly on par with your Wycombes.

I really detest 'Orient * & not only for that game 15 years ago yesterday... they , 'Orient, also relegated OUFC , on the last day of the season, ( first relegation OUFC experienced in the Football league) from old League 2

Barry Hearn ( 'Orients cockney w****r chairman at the time) mocked OUFC supporting youngsters post match, classless bastard

*( I equally detest the bin dippers too...and Scum , of course,..... all of whom play in red!!)

A horrible day and it was all too preventable too. If we’d stuck with Patto and signed Steve Claridge as we planned to ahead of the takeover, I think we would have muddled our way out of it. Jim Smith’s strange mix of bits and pieces players never had time to gel. In the end it came down to the Orient game. I knew we were in a heap of trouble after the Northampton game and when Ian Atkins’ Torquay kept picking up points.
Definately agree with this, Patto may or may not have worked out longer term, but for sure he would have kept us up that season.

Celebrating on the pitch of the team you've just relegated is a scummy thing to do no matter the circumstances.
It is, but Oxford fans did celebrate the 1983/4 title win on the Orient pitch, so we aren't entirely blameless. Don't think they were relegated though, can't remember.

...and we had half of their ground that day, one end and one side.

I really detest 'Orient * & not only for that game 15 years ago yesterday... they , 'Orient, also relegated OUFC , on the last day of the season, ( first relegation OUFC experienced in the Football league) from old League 2

Barry Hearn ( 'Orients cockney w****r chairman at the time) mocked OUFC supporting youngsters post match, classless bastard

*( I equally detest the bin dippers too...and Scum , of course,..... all of whom play in red!!)
Go on @Sarge there must be others you detest 🤫

It is, but Oxford fans did celebrate the 1983/4 title win on the Orient pitch, so we aren't entirely blameless. Don't think they were relegated though, can't remember.

...and we had half of their ground that day, one end and one side.

They finished 11th................ we rammed the place IIRC, a load of the WHDVC went in fancy dress.
May bank holiday and only 5,600 there.... mostly us.

Then the following season at the Valley where it was rather busy!

They finished 11th................ we rammed the place IIRC, a load of the WHDVC went in fancy dress.
May bank holiday and only 5,600 there.... mostly us.

Then the following season at the Valley where it was rather busy!
Yeah I was at both of those. I was shocked at the size of the terracing at The Valley, it was huge (and all closed). Wasn't that Charlton's last match there before they left and it was rebuilt years later?

Yeah I was at both of those. I was shocked at the size of the terracing at The Valley, it was huge (and all closed). Wasn't that Charlton's last match there before they left and it was rebuilt years later?
me too... 3-3 draw at The Valley wasn't it, albeit we were already promoted ? .... it was 'a bit lively' post match if memory serves?

Back
Top Bottom