Matches 15 years today

As if getting relegated wasn't bad enough, Mrs M dragged me to a bloody Snow Patrol gig in the evening. I'm not a fan at the best of times, so going after that happened in the afternoon just rounded off a bad day for me.
And you’re still with her?

If we’d stuck with Patto and signed Steve Claridge as we planned to ahead of the takeover, I think we would have muddled our way out of it.
Patto was keen on Beckford as well, who was playing relatively locally in non-league, but Leeds signed him instead. 100% convinced that we wouldn’t have gone down under Patterson. He took five points from his three games in charge, and seemed to know exactly what to do to keep things steady. That was all that we needed, and the players were happy to keep things simple and get through it. As much as Smith will always be a legend, and I don’t wish to speak ill of him, he badly underestimated the situation. I think he was of the belief that his ragtag bunch of reserves from higher up the divisions would swashbuckle through the last couple of months. Between that and the terms of the deal, the club nearly died.

Denis Smith sabotaged the Wrexham side so badly that he should’ve been arrested for match fixing, and we couldn’t even beat them. Getting relegated that season took real talent. Horrible.

There were at least two Swindon fans I know amongst the Orient fans, who celebrated our relegation with them.
I’ve waited, and waited, and this season I’ve ripped the s**t out of their current and impending doom.
Swings and roundabouts and all that.
Very apt.

Just remember that numb feeling and watching a load of knobheads running around on our pitch taunting us.

Horrible day.

Thank Christ for Karma.

Listened to Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Libertines growing up so could be worse. Music scene was better in your day certainly.

Wouldve loved to have been about early 90s in the Hacienda [emoji872]

I was :)

Actually, more early 80s

I still wince today at the four long seasons OUFC and its loyal base of supporters suffered during this time. I personally myself don't go along with too many people who say the trips to St Albans, Farsley Celtic etc etc were great days out although to some they probably were (and I went to plenty) but to me the suffering of my football club dropping out of the football league was even worse at the time than one of my businesses folding more than the seven times you can fold in half a piece of paper.

Having said that...the final f*ckin whistle blown at Wemblo against Messrs York City back in 2010 is still the best whistle noise I've ever heard in my life even beating being whistled at by a passerby who looked akin to a young Desmond O'Connor.

However, I'm very hopeful we will get ourselves sooner rather than later a return ticket to where I've always believed we belong...the Championship or my real time name of 'football league division two'.

From there...who knows?

COYY'S

I still wince today at the four long seasons OUFC and its loyal base of supporters suffered during this time. I personally myself don't go along with too many people who say the trips to St Albans, Farsley Celtic etc etc were great days out although to some they probably were (and I went to plenty) but to me the suffering of my football club dropping out of the football league was even worse at the time than one of my businesses folding more than the seven times you can fold in half a piece of paper.

Having said that...the final f*ckin whistle blown at Wemblo against Messrs York City back in 2010 is still the best whistle noise I've ever heard in my life even beating being whistled at by a passerby who looked akin to a young Desmond O'Connor.

However, I'm very hopeful we will get ourselves sooner rather than later a return ticket to where I've always believed we belong...the Championship or my real time name of 'football league division two'.

From there...who knows?

COYY'S
Places like Lewes, Droylsden, Northwich Victoria were just mental, even as a young supporter could tell the club was just playing ludicrously below where it should be.

The terraces and atmospheres were fun though.

If she took you to an Elbow concert that would have been grounds for divorce
I saw elbow in early 2002 at a small pub in Dundee and they were cracking. Still like the first album, and have listened to bits of subsequent albums that bore me. I have almost the identical experience with Pearl Jam a decade earlier.

Anyway, relegation by orient was horrible and I well remember the infectious frustration via the internet radio as their fans came on the pitch.

It was the (almost) inevitable culmination of many things which had been going wrong for a long time. It was horrible to watch, but you could see we were on the slippery slope. It wasn't really about Orient or their fans in the end. That was just the final straw. All the same it was satisfying when Orient were relegated to the conference.

Listened to Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Libertines growing up so could be worse. Music scene was better in your day certainly.

Wouldve loved to have been about early 90s in the Hacienda 👁
Went there once in 1989, queued for ever and didn’t like the people or the look one bit when I got in. The ritz and jillies were not far away and infinitely more fun, if infinitely less trendy.

Without doubt worst day of OUFC supporting life. Complete nightmare. Panic stricken players, supporters, management,everything.

Visited local church in the morning praying for OUFC victory. Then visited bookies for a saver bet on an Orient win. First and last time have ever done that. Kind of validated that we were doomed. We were that bad a side.

Tears everywhere at the end, a near fight in the car park, where champagne quaffing lardy Orient fans were told to go forth and multiply by the ‘top boys’ of the WOC (Werther Original Crew) followed by alcoholic oblivion.

How we ever got to actually being relegated beggars belief. Grim, grim days. Could have easily been the literal end if we’d not won in 2010.

By any measure of means we’ve fought back well as a club. Give yourself a clap.

That orient game was a horrible experience hopefully never to happen again there fans celebrating on the pitch I’m sure we would of if the tables were turned
One thing I would say tho is I think that first year in non league brought the fan base together because it was an us against the world feeling we was the big boys and all the little boys wanted to beat us it was fun tho but went on far to long
I would also say aswel that I had some of my best memories of supporting oufc in non league I mean that rushden game in the play off the priory before the game was bouncing the same for the play off final the priory followed by the green man followed by Wembley back to the priory nothing will take those memories away

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom