Matches 15 years today

londonroad

15 years today was the awful day when relegated out of the league by Orient. Memories of the day? Why oh why did we allow so many Orient fans to take over the ground. Never never again. My memory was of tears for 24 hours

As if getting relegated wasn't bad enough, Mrs M dragged me to a bloody Snow Patrol gig in the evening. I'm not a fan at the best of times, so going after that happened in the afternoon just rounded off a bad day for me.

The worst day I have ever experienced supporting United. Everything that could be wrong was wrong.

However, every roller coaster has low dips and exceptional highs so, looking back, it was just a dip in the journey..............

Snow Patrol?? I hope you put all the sharp things away safely? :ROFLMAO:

Grim day. Was pretty young when it happened. Remember a st george flag with "SMHS" emblazened on it being whipped out by a bunch of lads at the front of the east stand and sensing there may be trouble ahead.

I don't know if there was because left right on the final whistle, still dislike Orient.

I may be totally misremembering this, but didnt tcham n'toya have a decent game that day?

The worst day I have ever experienced supporting United. Everything that could be wrong was wrong.

However, every roller coaster has low dips and exceptional highs so, looking back, it was just a dip in the journey..............

Snow Patrol?? I hope you put all the sharp things away safely? :ROFLMAO:
Awful awful day.
The only time I seriously considered not getting a ST the following season.
Days at St Albans, Rushden, Altrincham, Woking were great but 4 years was far too long.

I do have sympathy for folk growing up with the likes of Snow Patrol, Elbow and similar merchants of misery.

When I think back to experiencing live music in the late 70`s & 80`s where a lot of it was word of mouth and knowledge of who was booked to appear and who would actually appear. Happy days!

Still f*****g hate Orient, got pissed after the game and woke up with a hangover and a hollow feeling. Enjoyed parts of the conference days but like someone said above 4 years was to long even if the play off final was one of the best days (well 3 days as I made the most of it) of my life.

At least we are rightfully back above the most pointless London club, had a good day out when we went there in the promotion season but I don’t think anything will ever take the bitter taste of that day away completely.

15 years makes me feel old though.

There were at least two Swindon fans I know amongst the Orient fans, who celebrated our relegation with them.
I’ve waited, and waited, and this season I’ve ripped the s**t out of their current and impending doom.
Swings and roundabouts and all that.

I do have sympathy for folk growing up with the likes of Snow Patrol, Elbow and similar merchants of misery.

When I think back to experiencing live music in the late 70`s & 80`s where a lot of it was word of mouth and knowledge of who was booked to appear and who would actually appear. Happy days!
Listened to Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Libertines growing up so could be worse. Music scene was better in your day certainly.

Wouldve loved to have been about early 90s in the Hacienda 👁

Still f*****g hate Orient, got pissed after the game and woke up with a hangover and a hollow feeling. Enjoyed parts of the conference days but like someone said above 4 years was to long even if the play off final was one of the best days (well 3 days as I made the most of it) of my life.

At least we are rightfully back above the most pointless London club, had a good day out when we went there in the promotion season but I don’t think anything will ever take the bitter taste of that day away completely.

15 years makes me feel old though.
I think the most pointless would be Chelski etc not a lower league club that has had more years in the league than us to be fair

A horrible day and it was all too preventable too. If we’d stuck with Patto and signed Steve Claridge as we planned to ahead of the takeover, I think we would have muddled our way out of it. Jim Smith’s strange mix of bits and pieces players never had time to gel. In the end it came down to the Orient game. I knew we were in a heap of trouble after the Northampton game and when Ian Atkins’ Torquay kept picking up points.

I remember watching the police horses charge on to the pitch after the game which was like a weird scene of cavalry charging at Orient’s infantry. Lee Steele attempted to clap the Oxford fans and got a load of abuse. He understood though and saw it wise not to gesture back. It was all a bit of a daze and I sat in a mate’s car largely silent thinking about all the things that FL sides lose when they drop out the League. No League Cup, FA Cup qualifying rounds, not on some football betting slips, not even the FL Trophy.

Never again for us. I would wish it on Swindon for five horrid seasons though!

A horrible day and it was all too preventable too. If we’d stuck with Patto and signed Steve Claridge as we planned to ahead of the takeover, I think we would have muddled our way out of it. Jim Smith’s strange mix of bits and pieces players never had time to gel. In the end it came down to the Orient game. I knew we were in a heap of trouble after the Northampton game and when Ian Atkins’ Torquay kept picking up points.

I remember watching the police horses charge on to the pitch after the game which was like a weird scene of cavalry charging at Orient’s infantry. Lee Steele attempted to clap the Oxford fans and got a load of abuse. He understood though and saw it wise not to gesture back. It was all a bit of a daze and I sat in a mate’s car largely silent thinking about all the things that FL sides lose when they drop out the League. No League Cup, FA Cup qualifying rounds, not on some football betting slips, not even the FL Trophy.

Never again for us. I would wish it on Swindon for five horrid seasons though!
It was the Wrexham away game I thought it was probably up.
Does anybody remember THAT miss by Andy Burgess?

Out of interest who actually buys all those Elbow cds - never heard anything as bland or awful

Back
Top Bottom