Home Match Day Thread 15/12/2020 L1 OUFC v Northampton Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very enjoyable last night especially second half. I know Northampton were pretty awful but they are the sort of team we have struggled to put to bed this season.
we looked solid at the back and didn’t let them settle on the ball anywhere on the pitch. Some great performances, sam Long, Matty Taylor, James Henry, but my Man of the Match was Alex Gorrin
the 2,000 played their part in urging the team forward in that second half.
A great night for the OUFC family
Agree apart from Henry. He is still a way off his best. He was average but there were signs when we were all over them that his confidence is returning.

I thought the club talked about instant removal if rules were broken? Some of the stewards wouldn’t know how to eject a cassette (if under 40) or DVD (if under 25). I was at the back of the East Stand and people were generally pretty good around where I was seated. Stewards were the worst mask culprits. COYY
Where do they get the stewards from? I asked a couple a question(which they couldn't answer) and they were brummies!!

Is it club or stadco who provide the Stewarding?

I thought it was latter which probably explains a lot!

It was very nice to be back. Had seats not far from our ST ones.
Great second half. The forced introduction of Clare changed things in our favour. That boy is going to be a very good winger!!😉 At 2-0 it could have ended up being 6 or 7. They just seemed to accept defeat. I would be livid if we did that. All in all a very enjoyable evening. Fingers crossed we get to see more games. If we can get Cam back (and BTW it was great to see him out with the team at the end) and at his best plus an improving Henry we could go on a run. Add Gorrin to those in midfield and it's one of the best in the league. Shodipo looked dangerous all evening and pleased for Agyei, what a cameo that was. Taylor needs supply and he got it in that 2nd half. Sam Long once again proved his versitility.

Probably going to get told off for not reading the whole thread, but just wanted to say thanks to OUFC for good organisation of the seating. the stewards did a great job and it was so good to be back and watch football live. The result was the "icing on the cake". No rushing out at the end meant we could actually say thank you to the team.

Agree. I went to the Hull match as well. Odd atmospheres each time, not bad, just very different, so good to see the pitch for real and a couple of old faces. Stewards seem friendly enough but a bit unsure as to what they're supposed to be doing. I'll not complain about that as everyone's been working it at out as they go along since march. They did ought to get their own masks sorted properly though.

As for the football, it seems the season is starting to come together at last. In last night's 2nd half we were really playing as a proper unit, better than I can remember for ages and Ageyi's goal reminded me judt what it's all about. Big smiles on the way home!

Probably going to get told off for not reading the whole thread, but just wanted to say thanks to OUFC for good organisation of the seating. the stewards did a great job and it was so good to be back and watch football live. The result was the "icing on the cake". No rushing out at the end meant we could actually say thank you to the team.

No but you are for posting it twice. ;)

haven't skimmed through the whole thread since game finished..so someone may have already have posted this:

I mean, he's absolutely right.

I was only able to watch the last half hour, but it was like watching a training game. Northampton weren't winning any second balls, weren't closing anyone down, weren't following runners and were aimlessly giving the ball away on the rare occasions they got it. You could almost see our guys' eyes light up because they knew there were bags of goals on offer.

We were great in that last half hour, but they were absolutely abject.

I mean, he's absolutely right.

I was only able to watch the last half hour, but it was like watching a training game. Northampton weren't winning any second balls, weren't closing anyone down, weren't following runners and were aimlessly giving the ball away on the rare occasions they got it. You could almost see our guys' eyes light up because they knew there were bags of goals on offer.

We were great in that last half hour, but they were absolutely abject.

I can't remember who said it on RadOx but they talked about Northampton players rushing to press but then did nothing once they got there in the period you are talking about.

Jack 'Clean Sheet' Stevens never seems to make a spectacular save, indeed rarely seems to make a save at all. But he doesn't concede goals. Whereas Easty makes a couple of spectacular saves every match but always concedes goals.
Ergo JS's positioning must be better. He also commands his area and indeed sometimes half the pitch - when we were attacking towards the end last night he was stood right out on the edge of the centre circle. He is also comfortable on the ball, very much a modern GK rather than an old-fashioned shot-stopper.
And the defence seem to be much more confident when he is behind them. Credit to Wayne Brown for nurturing him through from the Youth Team.

Jack 'Clean Sheet' Stevens never seems to make a spectacular save, indeed rarely seems to make a save at all. But he doesn't concede goals. Whereas Easty makes a couple of spectacular saves every match but always concedes goals.
Ergo JS's positioning must be better. He also commands his area and indeed sometimes half the pitch - when we were attacking towards the end last night he was stood right out on the edge of the centre circle. He is also comfortable on the ball, very much a modern GK rather than an old-fashioned shot-stopper.
And the defence seem to be much more confident when he is behind them. Credit to Wayne Brown for nurturing him through from the Youth Team.
What I saw last night that peeves me was when Stevens caught a ball from either a corner or a cross incant remember which when he had caught it their mouth 9 Smith pullednstevens over and how the ref didn’t respond he must have seen it or at least the lino.

Even the WHO have admitted masks have "little to no" effect, just stick to social distancing. I'll wear a mask because it's the rules but I don't like it.

What I saw last night that peeves me was when Stevens caught a ball from either a corner or a cross incant remember which when he had caught it their mouth 9 Smith pullednstevens over and how the ref didn’t respond he must have seen it or at least the lino.
I saw that as well Bazzer, Smith grabbed his shirt, pulled him over and then gave him a dig in the back when he was on the floor. Jack gestured to the lino who was right in front of me and the lino acknowledged him and looked embarrassed. I suspect that it wasn't bad enough to merit a booking so he let it go when he saw Jack was OK.

Even the WHO have admitted masks have "little to no" effect, just stick to social distancing. I'll wear a mask because it's the rules but I don't like it.
It's a pain when you wear glasses - like watching a game in the fog! I did wonder whether one of those full face plastic masks are better in that case - even if you do look even more of a wally.

I saw that as well Bazzer, Smith grabbed his shirt, pulled him over and then gave him a dig in the back when he was on the floor. Jack gestured to the lino who was right in front of me and the lino acknowledged him and looked embarrassed. I suspect that it wasn't bad enough to merit a booking so he let it go when he saw Jack was OK.
Or the referees instructions to his assistants was along the lines of i only want offsides thowins and corners/gk s ?

I saw smith do all that too...holmes n hoskins also were pushing their luck in front of said asst referee/linesman

I saw that as well Bazzer, Smith grabbed his shirt, pulled him over and then gave him a dig in the back when he was on the floor. Jack gestured to the lino who was right in front of me and the lino acknowledged him and looked embarrassed. I suspect that it wasn't bad enough to merit booking so he let it go when he saw Jack was OK.
Smith for all his hight and bulk he wasn’t very good at using it. He may have had the hight for the headers but they hardly caused a threat.

Or the referees instructions to his assistants was along the lines of i only want offsides thowins and corners/gk s ?

I saw smith do all that too...holmes n hoskins also were pushing their luck in front of said asst referee/linesman
Holmes was a disgrace

The Ref waved 'play on' on a couple of occasions when they challenged Stevens and he got the ball, tbf to the Ref.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom