Home Match Day Thread 15/12/2020 L1 OUFC v Northampton Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the club talked about instant removal if rules were broken? Some of the stewards wouldn’t know how to eject a cassette (if under 40) or DVD (if under 25). I was at the back of the East Stand and people were generally pretty good around where I was seated. Stewards were the worst mask culprits. COYY

A fair and balanced match report from the Northampton Chronicle which is a rarity for local papers nowadays:

I was sat in the middle of what was going on and it all seemed unnecessary and frustrating. A number of people shuffled along a seat or two for comfort, which they obviously shouldn't have done and on top of that, some of them near the back choose either to take off their masks temporarily, or not wear them properly. The stewards didn't spot this until the second half and then asked people to move.

The people asked to move then objected, having sat there for an hour already and a load of abuse was slung at the stewards, particularly virulent from two youngish blokes who were actually nothing to do with the altercation. To make it worse, the senior steward wasn't actually wearing his mask properly. It didn't reflect well on anybody - either the people who choose not to follow the rules or the stewards who weren't really paying attention.
I wasn‘t involved in or aware of that incident but surely the collective angst of the majority should be directed against the minority for not wearing masks, not by anyone against the stewards, minority or majority.
There was a marked difference between the crowd ‘atmosphere’ at the Hull game and last night; apart from double the crowd, at the Hull game there was an almost rigid adherence to the rules and I didn’t see anyone, fans or stewards, abusing the rules at all, maybe because it was first game back and people wanted to make it work, rather than three games on and a more relaxed attitude to it all.
Seriously considering withdrawing from the current three match ballot, if the Govt. don’t make that decision for us, this is supposed to be an enjoyable experience but I think I’ll watch any games for the foreseeable in the warm, safe environment of home.

I was near the front but just to the right of the goal and I was chatting with my mate who is in our bubble outside of football but not in football, not sure whether that was us or not
Without knowing what you look like @bazzer9461 i can’t say for sure but doesn’t sound like the right area.

I’m sending my feedback to them today, this needs dealing with otherwise there’ll be no fans allowed at all if we’re not careful.
For what it's worth, I thought the stewarding was not as tight last night as at the Hull game but I'm certainly not absolving the people who didn't sit in the rights seats or adhere fully to the mask instructions.

Sad to say, like the population as a whole, there is going to be a percentage of the crowd who behave like drongos and put the rest of us at risk. It is these pea-brains who will ensure Oxford goes into Tier 3 and then moan about the lack of live football. They are a relatively small proportion of the population but they are a dangerous one.

Who were the few people in the away section of the north end?

I was sat in the middle of what was going on and it all seemed unnecessary and frustrating. A number of people shuffled along a seat or two for comfort, which they obviously shouldn't have done and on top of that, some of them near the back choose either to take off their masks temporarily, or not wear them properly. The stewards didn't spot this until the second half and then asked people to move.

The people asked to move then objected, having sat there for an hour already and a load of abuse was slung at the stewards, particularly virulent from two youngish blokes who were actually nothing to do with the altercation. To make it worse, the senior steward wasn't actually wearing his mask properly. It didn't reflect well on anybody - either the people who choose not to follow the rules or the stewards who weren't really paying attention.
They’re supposed to be ejected from the ground and have their ST’s cancelld

I thought the club talked about instant removal if rules were broken?
Given the club knows who was sitting in each seat, it seems like it would be pretty simple to identify the culprits and remove them from the ballot for future fixtures (at the very least). Make an example of them - the guidelines were very clear, if you go to the match you agree to abide by them. The penalty for that has to be the removal of the right to attend matches.

The rules aren't in place arbitrarily - they're in place to protect everyone, including stewards. I get uncomfortable enough with people hurling abuse at people just doing their job at the best of times, but screaming directly into a steward's face, without wearing a mask, in the middle of a pandemic of a very contagious, very lethal disease is tantamount to assault.

I was very close to that and I did have a discussion with the 'Stand Manager' about the fact that he and his team needed to set an example by wearing their masks correctly, he and one of the other stewards who were discussing that incident at no point had their masks on correctly which I pointed out to him. In fairness he accepted it and although making the excuse that its new for everyone recognised that its also a rule that needs to be adhered.

There was a steward in an orange coat though who at no point had his mask over his nose. Sorry but there is no excuse for that

Given the club knows who was sitting in each seat, it seems like it would be pretty simple to identify the culprits and remove them from the ballot for future fixtures (at the very least). Make an example of them - the guidelines were very clear, if you go to the match you agree to abide by them. The penalty for that has to be the removal of the right to attend matches.

The rules aren't in place arbitrarily - they're in place to protect everyone, including stewards. I get uncomfortable enough with people hurling abuse at people just doing their job at the best of times, but screaming directly into a steward's face, without wearing a mask, in the middle of a pandemic of a very contagious, very lethal disease is tantamount to assault.
I couldn't honestly get my head around what their argument could have been - earlier on there was a disagreement with a chap down the front of the stand - this may have been because he was pointing out the "stand supervisor" was going round with his mask down. But apart from that I just thought we're lucky to be here, why behave like t***s and risk getting kicked out.

Without knowing what you look like @bazzer9461 i can’t say for sure but doesn’t sound like the right area.
Phew, glad to hear that 😊 have a good Christmas🎅
For what it's worth, I thought the stewarding was not as tight last night as at the Hull game but I'm certainly not absolving the people who didn't sit in the rights seats or adhere fully to the mask instructions.
I was a tad pissed off last night when I got in to the ground. Last Tuesday 20 mins before kick off my mate who’s in my bubble away from the ground was sat 5 seats into row S and the seating plan showed no more seats available because of social distancing but I sat on the end one eating my chips and having a chat when I was asked to move as not my seat no problem moved to my seat then I asked if I could swap with someone a few seats along my row and was told no, that’s fine I accept that. But last night when I came in I looked at the North stand and saw an estimated 15 people all sat next to each other, I asked a steward what was going on and he said it looke like kids and adults I pointed out the most in the bubble was six people and he didn’t seem to comprehend, however a short while later stewards were talking to the group for some time so I assume there was some disagreement, but eventually they moved with a gap of one seat between them.

I couldn't honestly get my head around what their argument could have been - earlier on there was a disagreement with a chap down the front of the stand - this may have been because he was pointing out the "stand supervisor" was going round with his mask down. But apart from that I just thought we're lucky to be here, why behave like t***s and risk getting kicked out.
And risk the rest of us missing out too. The authrorities are going to be watching like hawks and given where we are with infection rates going up again(and likely to be going up even faster post xmas) it will not take much in terms of transgressions for DCMS to revise their position on attendance at football (and other sports) for the forseeable future.

JUST FOLLOW THE f*****g RULES!!!!

That rather large steward at the front also had his mask incorrectly fitted but then you’d have a hard time getting that close to his face, who ate all the pies😳
Yep, I've seen more stewards than fans not wearing their masks properly. That doesn't detract from a great night out though, really one to raise the spirits.

I must have missed all the hubbub, i was sat in row J to the left of the goal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom