Home Match Day Thread 15/09/20 Carabao Cup R2 - OUFC v Watford

Agyei won most of his aerial challenges which is a plus now to have someone to receive them. Overall a good game tonight a plus for those fringe players, Jack Stevens is knocking at Eastwoods door. Who was who suggested Forde to go out on loan he played a blinder this evening and Osei yaw with more game time he is going to be a real threat. A mention for our forgotten man Robbie almost if not already back to his best must be on the bench on Saturday.

• React
Reactions: Ian
The second half performance never reached the heights of the first half and we were getting deeper and deeper as the half wore on which surprises me as
we were up against a very ordinary Watford side who were playing with ten men for the last 20 mins or so. Not great and as soon as Brannagan went off we never competed in the
middle of the park. That horrible habit crept back in - giving away set pieces ( cheap free kicks ) and it was no surprise we conceded in all honesty.

Exactly this.

Long, Hall, Forde, Cooper all played very well. Clare looked more comfortable in the wing back role, Stevens made a number of good saves, Agyei and Osei Yaw made a lot of good runs, looking positive but still a little raw. Another game under our belts and maybe an opportunity to give everyone a rest next week between the Sunderland and Accrington games.

Lots to take away from that game, except the result.

I dont normally watch games we have lost but I think I will watch this one. Got to take the positives which sound like quite a few.
They far outweigh the negatives.

I dont particulatly care that we lost. We are going for promotion this season so playing Newport midweek, should be last thing on our to-do list.

I feel positive about Saturday, based on what I've seen tonight.

Lots of positives but frustrating that we should have been out of sight by half time and yet end up knocked out. May work to our advantage by having less games so who knows.

Most worrying aspect for me was how paper thin our midfield became against ten men when Kelly and McGuane came on. The latter may have been reportedly good in pre-season but personally haven’t seen enough to suggest he’s a better option than some of the others.

Was awful (as were a fair few) at Lincoln but tonight came on and just looked at sea positionally. Completely switched off a few times when runners moved past him which was pretty inexcusable. Worrying signs albeit hopefully improves the more he works in our system.

Unfortunately, we look like conceding everytime a long or dead ball gets fired into our box. If this isn't eradicated quickly we will throw away a lot of games this season and many of our league 1 rivals will be using this tactic regularly. I would be astonished if our backroom coaches have overlooked how vulnerable we are with these balls at the moment. For some reason everyone knew Wycombe would probably do us with a dead ball delivery and they did and from then on in we have looked shaky ever since. Sort this out and we'll be fine.

COYY'S.

Well by all accounts we put on a strong performance against a superior side, got an important goal and pushed them all the way. Got some game time for some of the wider squad.

We don't need additional games cluttering the calendar and causing injuries to our small squad. Plus, I couldn't take it if we got a massive away day in the 4th or 5th round and none of us could go. So I don't really see a downside to crashing out at this point. Not really feeling any of the emotions I would be feeling if the fans were allowed to attend.

Hopefully we can carry this on into the league.

Stevens - 8 - Couple of very good saves, commanding around the box and distributed quickly + efficiently

Clare - 7 - Much improved in both defence and attack
Mous - 6 - Looked like the weak link but was still OK
Moore - 8 - Very good game, brilliant composure to bring down multiple long balls + dangerous in attack
Long - 7 - Solid all over the pitch, outstanding workrate

Forde - 8 - Probably MOTM, always in the right place defensively, playing over Kelly on that showing
Brannagan - 8 - Quality as always, very positive on the ball getting us forward
Agyei - 6 - Really quiet + snatched at chances
Hall - 8 - Showed he can be a real asset if he stays fit and can repeat performances like that, very impressive
Cooper - 7 - Another who looked positive on the ball, a real creative spark. Bit of a nasty streak which is good to see.

Osei - 6 - Showed potential and was unfortunate not to get at least one goal. Solid 3rd choice striker.

Lofthouse had an ok game, Kelly + McGuane didn't really get involved. I imagine we'll stay with the 4-2-3-1 until Gorrin's return, which I'm happy with based on tonight.

As others have said, may be a blessing to get knocked out early, especially this season. Performance was very good, only positives from me really.

Lots of positives but frustrating that we should have been out of sight by half time and yet end up knocked out. May work to our advantage by having less games so who knows.

Most worrying aspect for me was how paper thin our midfield became against ten men when Kelly and McGuane came on. The latter may have been reportedly good in pre-season but personally haven’t seen enough to suggest he’s a better option than some of the others.

Was awful (as were a fair few) at Lincoln but tonight came on and just looked at sea positionally. Completely switched off a few times when runners moved past him which was pretty inexcusable. Worrying signs albeit hopefully improves the more he works in our system.
Im not sure hes a central midfield player having watched all the games so far.Might be better off trying him in one of the attacking 3 positions.

Positives:

Stevens - some great saves and good distribution

Long - got forward remarkably well from left back

Forde - defended nicely, kept the ball ticking over

Hall - offers something different, played very well, can actually turn on the ball and drive forwards rather than just always pass it sideways and backwards

Agyei - didn’t play that well but won every header

Cooper - can beat a man at will

Clare - showed glimpses of what he can do but needs to take off the handbrake

I have a foot in both camps for this fixture - been a Watford fan for well over 40 years but lived in Oxon for 25 of the last 30 years and watched a lot of United as 2 of my kids played in the academy. I watched the Watford commentary stream and they were extremely complimentary of the U's (as am I). U's had so many great chances they should have been out of sight (although Watford had a couple of great ones early doors and either of them going in might have changed the complexion a lot.
Bachmann was immense for Watford - absolutely no doubt as to MotMon the Watford forum and Faceache!
Good luck to OUFC in L1. I'll be along to a few games if/when allowed and really hope you make it up this season!

At kick off we would've classed that as our B team with a couple of exceptions. You wouldn't have known it watching them for a good 75% of the game. An excellent, if somewhat raw performance. Much more to be positive than negative about tonight. If anything I think it proves we have more depth than many people give us credit for. Honestly, how many of that team would have started a league game? 4? Yes we need more cover at the back, maybe a bit more pace and another left winger, but don't forget, every team in the league this season will be restricted in numbers, just as we are.

Also, Lincoln won 5-0 away at Bradford tonight. They are going to be the surprise package this season I think, and if anyone can get the best out of them it's MApp, so we shouldn't be too down after Saturday. We never win on the opening day anyway!

• React
Reactions: Ian
It’s a positive getting out early as I alluded to earlier. It gives the lads a break between two big league games against Sunderland and Accrington, We could of gone to Newport next week, and picked up an injury or two, and be thinking “wish we lost to Watford now”. It’s a good chance for the boys to spend time together in training, and get used to playing with each other. Especially for the new lads that have come in. There’s no money on offer so very little incentive. You listen to Sky sports, Lincoln welcome Britain’s best (Liverpool) very exciting when you can’t attend!

I’m pleased with the performance, and there are more positives to take from the game than negatives. Although you wouldn’t think so looking through some comments on here.

Back
Top Bottom