Home Match Day Thread 15/09/20 Carabao Cup R2 - OUFC v Watford

I think Kip does have a bit of a point.

We look fragile at the back - horribly fragile at times - especially from set plays
and a clean sheet looks difficult for us to achieve currently. That's the truth of it.

All the goals in the three play-off games were cheap giveaways and it has continued into this season.
A mixture of poor goalkeeping , poor organisation and a lack of communication.

The goals we concede are pretty soft - it's not as if we are being cut to ribbons by great attacking play by our opponents - and it must stop.
You must be joking. Stevens was excellent between the posts and we only looked disjointed at the back when we got to the last10 minutes. Agree mous is looking his age on the pitch. Otherwise agree with KR plenty of positives from the game

Agree there were positives, chief among them being that Stevens is more than adequate cover for the season.

It was a sloppy performance in part through, profligate finishing and then the sucker punch.

Not all doom and gloom by any means but the capitulation and result did leave me irritated!

I think Kip does have a bit of a point.

We look fragile at the back - horribly fragile at times - especially from set plays
and a clean sheet looks difficult for us to achieve currently. That's the truth of it.

All the goals in the three play-off games were cheap giveaways and it has continued into this season.
A mixture of poor goalkeeping , poor organisation and a lack of communication.

The goals we concede are pretty soft - it's not as if we are being cut to ribbons by great attacking play by our opponents - and it must stop.

I have to agree our defence looks weak. Not necessarily from open play but from set plays all over the place. Every time a dead ball is thrown into our box I almost can’t look! I also think it’s too easy for teams to get down our flanks and put a ball in. In every team I’ve played in the full backs are getting a pat on the back for stopping the cross ours don’t seem to be able to do that. That said I thought Long did well last night.

some real positives from last night though. Forde was outstanding and has to play Saturday.
was MOTM and probably the best player on the pitch.

cold light of day, morning after the night (game) before ( when I was rather miffed how the match ended) .... Our squad players, in the main, did brilliantly, Stevens, Hall n Forde especially

great chances created, Watford's keeper pulled off some exceptionally good saves, firstly to keep it at 1-0 , and then in the pen shootout.... KR's 'first choice' midfielders ( McGuane & Kelly) seemed to weaken not bolster last nights team defensively, maybe its time to put Mous out to (coaching) pasture after last nights pedestrian performance & sustaining an(other) injury?... even finer margins last night than V Lincoln, hey ho! , here's hoping that the mighty U's come good this coming Saturday V Sunderland and we capitalise on chances created, by putting them all in the back of the net

We had a makeshift back four with Mous carrying an injury from the second minute, worry is, who plays there on Saturday with the current crop of injuries we have. At least we had a decent keeper last night, played well with a lot of confidence.

In the last 10, 15 even 20 years how many times has it been discussed that we need a finishing/striker/shooting coach ..... we should have won last night if our finishing had been better .....

In the last 10, 15 even 20 years how many times has it been discussed that we need a finishing/striker/shooting coach ..... we should have won last night if our finishing had been better .....
It was a bit of a perfect storm though - some poor attempts at finishing admittedly, but when we did get them on target their keeper played an absolute binder. I don't think we will create as many excellent chances as that again this season without winning (and you'd want either Taylor or Winnall on the pitch when they came along!).

Get Ian Wright back in for a few months when Covid allows.

Quick thoughts
Long good at left back and when playing at fullback has the good heading ability to beat his marker - for the Watford goal - when playing as a centre half and against a centre forward - not so.
Cooper - might not be quick but gets into good areas so always a threat in their penalty area - missed a sitter
Hall - as a winger discard - in this more central role just maybe - say maybe worth keeping

Ok, we are out of that. Lets get out of the Donald Duck as well, sort our selves out and really go for it.

Back
Top Bottom