Home Match Day Thread +++ 15/02/20 OUFC v Sunderland +++

ttg17

Surprised noone's started this yet so I'll take it upon myself to get the ball rolling.

This is going to be really tough. Will be genuinely intriguing to see what midfield KR puts out. Sunderland are in pretty decent nick and it's not the game he would have wanted to be experimenting with, but I'm hoping the improving fitness and form of Henry and CB mean we're still able to match them for quality in the centre of the park.

I suspect however that this game will come perhaps one game too early for us - would be great if it's called off, but if not, I'm going to go for 2-1 Sunderland I'm afraid. COYY

Really hoping this isn't called off...only snow or seriously waterlogged pitches should justify that.
Can see this as a repeat of the Burton result.
Watch out for a certain C. Maguire, second only to Ivan Toney in combined goals and assists so far this season.

I would rather it called off just so we can watch a good game of football! The Ipswich game was horrible to watch because of the conditions.

Eastwood
Long Dickie Moore Ruffels
Thorne Mous
Henry Brannagan Sykes
Agyei or Taylor

OR

Eastwood
Long Dickie Mous Ruffels
Sykes Thorne Brannagan Holland
Henry
Agyei or Taylor
Given the players available, and obvious fitness issues, a change of system might be needed tomorrow.
Brannagan surely needs a rest, but Robbo may have no choice but to play him.
Surely it's too soon for Forde to start?
Agyei deserves a game, so give him a start Robbo!
Thorne needs to build his fitness, and again, we don't have many options, so give him a game.
The weather will play a big part, but if the game goes ahead, only a win will do.

COYY

Last edited:
No confidence in this one at all. The weather, Sunderland’s form, our players who are out or not hitting the stride.

0-3 to them.

Trying to be optimistic for this one! I think Mous should be DM and if Brannagan is fit he has to play and Sykes also. Please Karl give Agyei a decent chance as well. Would take 4 points from the next 2 games 6 would rekindle the season!

Sunderland aren't prolific away, very rarely scoring more than one goal and we are pretty solid at home

Both teams are however very good at recovering a one goal deficit so my money is going on yet another 1-1.......

Oxford United 0 Sunderland 132 for 5 Att: 8671 with 1109 Slumberland fannies. They will be playing a different game to us, attacking everything (including the ref). Three of their players will be sent off. Maguire will miss a penalty. A dog will run onto the pitch. Tiger will wear a joke bow-tie, which spins round. A hurricane will damage the stadium so bad, that we will have to play at Oxford City's place for the next ten years. COYY

if the game isnt called off/postponed itll not be much of a spectacle to watch, like the Ipswich match, and like the Ipswich match a 0-0 draw.... until the 89th min when Agyei comes off the bench to nick a win (at last) against the Mackems in the league

Having seen all recent games, no real confidence for any kind of result here, slipping into mid table mediocrity....
0-3 Sunderland. God do we need a win.

Eastwood
Long Dickie Moore Ruffels
Thorne Mous
Henry Brannagan Sykes
Agyei or Taylor

OR

Eastwood
Long Dickie Mous Ruffels
Sykes Thorne Brannagan Holland
Henry
Agyei or Taylor
Given the players available, and obvious fitness issues, a change of system might be needed tomorrow.
Brannagan surely needs a rest, but Robbo may have no choice but to play him.
Surely it's too soon for Forde to start?
Agyei deserves a game, so give him a start Robbo!
Thorne needs to build his fitness, and again, we don't have many options, so give him a game.
The weather will play a big part, but if the game goes ahead, only a win will do.

COYY
Like the idea in your second selection, of Thorne and Branagan playing alongside each other in a centre midfield of two. Rather than either of them trying to duplicate the Gorrin solo defensive midfield role.

I'm still recovering from a poor show last weekend, and then there was the last minute draw against the mighty Burton in midweek. Add in a suspension, some who will probably play injured and others who won't play because they are injured .... pfft. I think we will lose by a couple, I hope we will win by one.

1-0. own goal from Maguire cos he forgets he's not playing for us anymore

Like the idea in your second selection, of Thorne and Branagan playing alongside each other in a centre midfield of two. Rather than either of them trying to duplicate the Gorrin solo defensive midfield role.
Could even play with a diamond formation, with Thorne at the base and Brannagan at the tip, with Henry playing a free roll in the number 10 position.

It seems like Robinson has been hinting about shaking things up a little so maybe;

Eastwood
Dickie Mous Moore
Sykes Henry Thorne Brannagan Holland
Taylor Agyei
I'm not sure if it has been said if Browne is definitely not in contention so wonder if he may feature on the bench along with Long, Ruffels, Forde, Stevens, maybe Mackie if he's in a good place or a youth player or 2.

It's a difficult game to predict with the weather likely ruining any really chance of a proper game, but that might suit us better with having a team that can battle but still allows for moments of magic. I will predict a 2 nil home win with goals from Brannagan and Taylor.

I’m going for unbroken sunshine ☀️ loads of scantily attired ladies of all shapes and sizes spoiling my enjoyment of the game because they keep distracting me. So will have to keep well lubricated for the duration of the game, can’t be getting dehydrated. If we lose I will have to endure some more s**t on the grass cocktails ?. Maybe I can persuade that iguana ? to play up front. Mind KR will still play Mackie. Seriously though I got a gut feeling we are going to win, with the winner being scored from a very unlikely source, Jamie Mackie. COYY

I’m going for unbroken sunshine ☀ loads of scantily attired ladies of all shapes and sizes spoiling my enjoyment of the game because they keep distracting me. So will have to keep well lubricated for the duration of the game, can’t be getting dehydrated. If we lose I will have to endure some more s**t on the grass cocktails ?. Maybe I can persuade that iguana ? to play up front. Mind KR will still play Mackie. Seriously though I got a gut feeling we are going to win, with the winner being scored from a very unlikely source, Jamie Mackie. COYY
Mackie to score... what have you been smoking? ?

Thorne keen to be involved - I can’t be the only one that thinks starting him against Sunderland would be throwing him in too much at the deep end?
I'm not so sure to be honest. He has looked very good when he's played and is more suited to the deeper role that Gorrin would have filled. His fitness is a slight concern but I think he should have enough to see him through.

Back
Top Bottom