Away Match Day Thread 15/01/2022 L1: Wycombe Wanderers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we all see things differently I guess. I saw him, Taylor, win one header in the first half that was flicked on but predictably no one beyond him to capitalise. Most of the time him and Williams were on the way down when the ball was reaching them. The need for a target man has never been more obvious than yesterday.
I do agree we need a good 'Trevor Aylott' to give us a Plan B chance when all else fails. I would have chucked on Luke M up front yesterday if only to cause havoc.

I think it's got to go to court for that to happen? Conditional could also mean "no entry into football matches for three years" who knows?
I remember the Swindon boys all 2 of them running across the pitch toward the Stratton bank they got fined but not banned due to being caught up in all the euphoria….makes a mockery of what guidelines are given to courts in such cases.

Due to the colour of the keepers shirt and words aimed at him the other seriousness of that guy getting the length of the pitch virtual unchallenged by any official has been virtual overlooked due no doubt to it being seen as just high spirits. The guy could have had a weapon and done some serious damage or worse. I doubt he would have thought to jump into where Oxford fans were but what if he had, who takes responsibilty for what very likely would have followed.

Well said 👏🏻

The scrap came about due a ‘fan’ near me constantly shouting at the stewards and giving Eastwood a barrel of abuse for no reason known to me 🤷‍♂️

He also moaned when the minutes applause took place and as the ball was out of play some players joined in. He didn’t appreciate the players stopping to take part 😞

He got told to shut up and get behind the team, which he didn’t appreciate so walked a few rows back to get in a scrap 🤷‍♂️

A strange breed.
It was a toxic atmosphere in that area of the ground. Guy 1 abusing the stewards and Eastwood was approached by aguy 2 who was swearing at him to support the team. I understand that guy 2 has previously been deported when supporting England. Guy 1 son then starting throwing punches at guy 2. A total embarrassment to us as a fan base and a club. Sad to say I knew of all of them.
As an aside if the stewards are going to ignore it, it will continue. The stewards obviously wanted to ignore it.
Unfortunately Wycombe is seen as a massive P**s up and that was very much the consequences.

What a thoroughly unenjoyable day. Elements of that felt like being back in the Conference. Wycombe are embarrassing. Not since the conference have I been to a game where it has felt like the entire opposition - fans, staff and players - has seemed almost more interested in bating, taunting and goading Oxford fans than the actual match. From their pathetic subs smirking and making obscene gestures at fans, to the histrionics of their ludicrous manager and staff on the touch line, to the almost comically inept stewards who couldn’t stop one dickhead running the length of the pitch to wind us up some more (it is DISGRACEFUL that it took two or three of our players putting themselves at risk to grab him and still their slug-headed, cabbage brained stewards were barely ambling onto the pitch), the shoving of Gavin Whyte that nobody seemed to care about, to the shameful antics of McCleary, to the absolutely laughable fireworks display at the end.

And the worst part is, it was all so unnecessary. After a lively first 25 minutes, they were comfortably better than us. They kept us at arms length, picked us off and had several gears they could have moved up into if we’d have been able to get closer to them. I wish we had a forward like Hanlan - he is exactly what we need as an alternative to Matty - and ran our CB’s ragged.

Actually, the worst part is that a small minority of our support have really embarrassed our entire club today. We’ve been taunted and goaded all afternoon, but instead the story isn’t going to be what a nasty little joke team Wycombe are, it’s going to be the pathetic conduct of a small portion of our fans. Fighting among ourselves. Smashing up pubs. Homophobic abuse. (In my view the pineapple chant is absolutely racist and totally inappropriate too). These people should be ashamed. We don’t need you in our club

Guys - we’re trying to move to a new stadium. We’re in the midst of a massive PR campaign to sweet talk a multitude of key stakeholders into supporting our move. The last thing we need is our fanbase plastered all over the news for acting like Neanderthal hooligans from the 70’s/80’s. Now, more than ever, we’re all ambassadors for Oxford United - I just wish some of these idiots could see that.

A frustrating afternoon from start to finish…
Interestingly why does Ainsworth send his subs down to where the away fans are other than to wind up opposition fans. Why do the police just stand next to it and ignore it. You can say fans need to react better but then so do players and managers.
I know it should not matter but in the real world it does. A not insignificant minority will react in a negative way. The reality is there is no fighting in grounds because of CCTV. I am not sure the culture is much different from those bad days in the 70's and 80. We want to think it is but in reality there are still many negative attitudes that are endemic in society and football often mirrors those attitudes.

It was a toxic atmosphere in that area of the ground. Guy 1 abusing the stewards and Eastwood was approached by aguy 2 who was swearing at him to support the team. I understand that guy 2 has previously been deported when supporting England. Guy 1 son then starting throwing punches at guy 2. A total embarrassment to us as a fan base and a club. Sad to say I knew of all of them.
As an aside if the stewards are going to ignore it, it will continue. The stewards obviously wanted to ignore it.
Unfortunately Wycombe is seen as a massive P**s up and that was very much the consequences.
Haha I know exactly who ‘guy 2’ is from your deported description

Interestingly why does Ainsworth send his subs down to where the away fans are other than to wind up opposition fans. Why do the police just stand next to it and ignore it. You can say fans need to react better but then so do players and managers.
I know it should not matter but in the real world it does. A not insignificant minority will react in a negative way. The reality is there is no fighting in grounds because of CCTV. I am not sure the culture is much different from those bad days in the 70's and 80. We want to think it is but in reality there are still many negative attitudes that are endemic in society and football often mirrors those attitudes.
You Say it is strange that home substitutions warm up by running up an down towards the away section however don’t you find it even stranger that the two “Dug outs” seem to be the wrong way round with the home “Dug out” closer to the away section......

So no ban then, what the point I having rules in place for the punishment not to be administered.
Prime example of TVP treating fans of their other clubs ( Reading , Wycombe, and MKD) more leniently than they do OUFC fans for a similar offence.

Last edited:
You Say it is strange that home substitutions warm up by running up an down towards the away section however don’t you find it even stranger that the two “Dug outs” seem to be the wrong way round with the home “Dug out” closer to the away section......
That's a classic bit of Ainsworth passive aggressive behaviour.

The guidance is for subs to warm up in the half not occupied by the linesman, several years ago there were problems with the subs distracting the linesman. So at home games the subs warm up towards the fence end, as the linesman always takes the half alongside the left-back.

[/

Sorry to hear you witnessed it too.

I recognised guy 2, probably similar age to me and been following Oxford all over the place for many years.

The son of guy 1 gave us a load of abuse when we politely asked him to move early in the game. He was stood down the front in the aisle blocking the view for young uns.

Ah well, hopefully after their hangovers cleared up today their guilty conscious kicked in.

We don’t need that behaviour at our club, we are all supporting a team at the right end of the table for gods sake! 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom