Away Match Day Thread 15/01/2022 L1: Wycombe Wanderers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the pitch … our successes came when we could run at them and either cut in (Holland) or cut the ball back (Willo, CB).

We spent far too much time pumping the ball from the middle of our half to the middle of theirs and just getting it straight back.

If we have been found out by other teams it is because of our reliance on the wings to get forward, which is why we now need more steel in the midfield and up front in holding the ball up. I’d give my right but to have had Hanlan in our side.

We still lack physicality and athleticism. Not learnt a lot since the Blackpool play off defeat at home.

We’ve got too many nice players who are easily knocked off the ball. If teams allow us to play then we can play, but if we come up against it we invariably come off second best.

What also concerned me today was, we seemed to be very disorganised with players all over the place, especially defensively (2nd goal)

Regarding Sykes, he’s a player who’s speaking like he’s trying to get the best financial deal for himself (which I understand), but also a player that’s not particularly coming out and saying he wants to stay. I don’t overly blame him as he will have in the back of his mind how Robinson ousted him the other season, so I guess it’s a bit like what goes around comes around. Having said that, I still think there’s better players than him out there e.g. one or two players in Wycombe’s team are better than him so I’m sure they’ll be others too.

Last edited:
Wycombe win games mainly due to their organisation, shape and physicality but you don’t get to be top of L1
after 27 matches without being able to play. They are supremely fit , hungry and aggressive. Ainsworth has
instilled an incredible work ethic and desire in that squad of players which was perfectly illustrated yesterday with their
ability to close their opponents down and block crosses and shots almost for fun. When the ball went out to Holland and Williams
three Wycombe players quickly surrounded their opponent.

Oxford are technically better but Wycombe do the ‘ detail ‘ better. Detail is the thing that wins games as Sean Dyche always says.

The block on the line from Stewart in the first half - who was magnificent - epitomized their spirit and desire to keep the ball out of
their net. In fact the number of times Oxford had shots and crosses blocked was countless.

Alas, the same could not be said of the U’s. When the ball was struck by Thompson for the first goal Williams turned his back on the shot.

Oxford needed to score from that good opening 25 minutes but like at Lincoln , they came up short.

The second goal also came from a big block - Sykes’s optimistic strike ballooning 20 yards back to McCleary to play in Hanlan
on the counter.

Wycombe are the masters of the dark arts with the shirt pulling, barging and pushing of opponents off the ball
all carefully planned and orchestrated by Ainsworth who will get them promoted.

Robinson knew what to expect, knew what was coming but they are too good at what they do.

The fireworks as the final whistle blew were embarrassing and cringeworthy. A horrible afternoon in many ways
marred by the moronic chanting,the deranged Wycombe pitch invader and incident with a Wycombe idiot and Gavin Whyte.

The scuffles and fisticuffs in the car park and along the road afterwards further soured my day in Bucks.

Wycombe win games mainly due to their organisation, shape and physicality but you don’t get to be top of L1
after 27 matches without being able to play. They are supremely fit , hungry and aggressive. Ainsworth has
instilled an incredible work ethic and desire in that squad of players which was perfectly illustrated yesterday with their
ability to close their opponents down and block crosses and shots almost for fun. When the ball went out to Holland and Williams
three Wycombe players quickly surrounded their opponent.

Oxford are technically better but Wycombe do the ‘ detail ‘ better. Detail is the thing that wins games as Sean Dyche always says.

The block on the line from Stewart in the first half - who was magnificent - epitomized their spirit and desire to keep the ball out of
their net. In fact the number of times Oxford had shots and crosses blocked was countless.

Alas, the same could not be said of the U’s. When the ball was struck by Thompson for the first goal Williams turned his back on the shot.

Oxford needed to score from that good opening 25 minutes but like at Lincoln , they came up short.

The second goal also came from a big block - Sykes’s optimistic strike ballooning 20 yards back to McCleary to play in Hanlan
on the counter.

Wycombe are the masters of the dark arts with the shirt pulling, barging and pushing of opponents off the ball
all carefully planned and orchestrated by Ainsworth who will get them promoted.

Robinson knew what to expect, knew what was coming but they are too good at what they do.

The fireworks as the final whistle blew were embarrassing and cringeworthy. A horrible afternoon in many ways
marred by the moronic chanting,the deranged Wycombe pitch invader and incident with a Wycombe idiot and Gavin Whyte.

The scuffles and fisticuffs in the car park and along the road afterwards further soured my day in Bucks.
I've got no problems with the fireworks a decent display, apparently a display after each win this season so not specifically for us.

We knew what was coming Iam a good friend with John Rudge ex vale manager. He told me when he was at Stoke with Tony pullis if they weren't above 6 foot 1 and powerful lads he wasn't interested in them. Our midfield is made up of good skilful but not powerful players We are in league 1 we haven't got the team to mix it over 90 plus minutes over 46 games against alot of teams . You know whats coming if we are allowed play we are superb but to go up you've got to able to change it. I like Karl but mcguane CDM we knew it wouldn't work Ainswurth must have thought yippee. But there's alot going on when 3 of your better performing players maybe yet be off this month. So hang on let's hope we regroup quick get ABIT of power in the midfield and win on Saturday

Sorry but I have to disagree both Winnall and Agyei aren’t good enough replace Taylor and at the moment Taylor is all we’ve got and if we had a decent striker he would have been subbed.
I was always in the corner for Agyei but after the Stevenage game earlier in the JPT he scored a good goal but after that did absolutely nothing. Unfortunately Karl couldn’t see anything wrong with the strikers position and after his interview today after the game can’t see one coming in any time soon.

I said "like" and "with". Go back to a traditional strike force with a big lump and a box predator.

Bit like Hamilton and Aldridge. :) :)

Halfway point of the season, and my review, following that performance, would be word for word identical to that following the Blackpool play off.

Wycombe are better than us, they have a better quality of players playing their style, and they are cohesive, physically strong and fast.

We lack strength, striking options and are prone to defensive errors. Sure, we can move the ball, have options in attacking areas and create chances...but our weaknesses are the same as they have been all season. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity as the saying goes...but that is exactly what we are doing.

Well said.

I like to think I’m generally a glass half full sort of fan and I’ve constantly backed Robinson - still do - and lauded the team over the past couple of seasons but I’m not going to show myself up by defending the indefensible.

We are short, no doubt about it. Definitely short in quality, definitely short in physicality, definitely short in nous and possibly short in leadership. The need for a target man is glaringly obvious and I’d seriously question Robinson if, come 31st Jan, we don’t have a 6’2” plus target man through the door. The mis-timed jumping of Taylor and Williams today was ridiculous - at times laughable.
I sat in the poxy side stand and I, long with many home fans, noted how Taylor was winning fo many headers because he jumped early against a CB much taller than him. So I have to disagree.

i think its time to cut the ties with kr...2 chances already...one trick pony im afraid to say is bout right
Recruitment following our failure against Blackpool in the playoffs, which showed us wnere we were wanting, didn't address our weaknesses. We can play the pretty stuff when the opposition allows us to but we crumble in the face of pace, athleticism and good tactics. The fact is teams now know how to play us and we dont have the guile; the players and most importantly the manager to change it. Another poor finish this season and the new boys in charge are going to make changes.

Recruitment following our failure against Blackpool in the playoffs, which showed us wnere we were wanting, didn't address our weaknesses. We can play the pretty stuff when the opposition allows us to but we crumble in the face of pace, athleticism and good tactics. The fact is teams now know how to play us and we dont have the guile; the players and most importantly the manager to change it. Another poor finish this season and the new boys in charge are going to make changes.
Spot on. Exactly this.

I sat in the poxy side stand and I, long with many home fans, noted how Taylor was winning fo many headers because he jumped early against a CB much taller than him. So I have to disagree.

Well we all see things differently I guess. I saw him, Taylor, win one header in the first half that was flicked on but predictably no one beyond him to capitalise. Most of the time him and Williams were on the way down when the ball was reaching them. The need for a target man has never been more obvious than yesterday.

Yes, the "Who's the gayboy in the pink" chant was unedifying but it was ridiculing the player for the fact that he was wearing pink not for his sexuality. If a player was targeted for actually being gay then surely that would be much more unacceptable
you don’t get it do you, you are not commenting on the fact the goalie is wearing pink. You are associating wearing pink with being gay and using it in a derogatory manner - using gay as an insult. It’s completely unacceptable and thinking it’s unacceptable is not going soft or being ‘woke’ it’s just not being homophobic.

Well said
You have to ask the question
Why do we need so many wingers/wide players when we don’t have back up in the key positions ?
Branagan Kane Sykes Henry Taylor all good players and can destroy teams when the opposition sit back but when we come across teams like Wycombe Lincoln and Cheltenham teams who have done their homework and press us we look lightweight

When you look at the teams that got promoted last year it is Blackpool with their stronger athletic players who are doing best,whereas Peterborough who were the better footballing side are struggling
If we did get promoted there would need to be massive changes in personnel for us to survive

Even in the championship teams are very physical not pretty pretty tippy tappy. But we have got a decent squad we know what we need but this time KR needs to deliver

Well said
You have to ask the question
Why do we need so many wingers/wide players when we don’t have back up in the key positions ?
Branagan Kane Sykes Henry Taylor all good players and can destroy teams when the opposition sit back but when we come across teams like Wycombe Lincoln and Cheltenham teams who have done their homework and press us we look lightweight
Been saying that for a couple of seasons now, when we’re pressed high we can’t adapt and counter no plan b so to speak off.

In theory,

Where does it stop then ? I’ve heard our fans - and all fans - target an overweight player for example. We have overweight fans who could, in turn, develop a complex leading to an eating disorder that could untimely lead to a suicide situation.

Virtually every aspect of banter is picking on someone’s physicality or inability. Where is this line drawn or is someones sexuality the only thing that can offend and lead to deeper issues ?

The difference is that overweight people have not had to face centuries of discrimination. By continuing to perpetuate slurs against the LGBT and BAME communities, it throws us back into the past where those people were treated as second class citizens. I suggest you read about Section 28 to understand why anti-gay chants are so hurtful. The fact that it was only repealed in England as late as 2003 should viewed as a national disgrace.

A shorthand for all of this - if the chant or comment that you’re thinking of doing involves making any form of comment on sexuality or skin colour, simply don’t say it. Whether you view it as banter or harmless is irrelevant. It’s not worth going there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom