Away Match Day Thread 15/01/2022 L1: Wycombe Wanderers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were comfortably second best yesterday. What is the most disappointing thing is the fact that we supporters could see it before the game even started, after the team was announced.

We had a good run before Christmas but, I can’t help but think that the squad is relatively one dimensional. We do not have an enforcer (Gorrin isn’t an imposing player either). After the play off defeat it was clear and obvious what was missing but we don’t seem to have addressed the issue.

KR has done a terrific job and i think he deserves this season and certainly the start of the next. Having said that, if you cannot address the clear flaws in the squad then the buck will ultimately, stop with the manager.

Sykes - looked like a player that wasn’t interested yesterday.

Regarding bans I thought the courts would be the ones to issue a ban
The police should have charged him for breaking football ground regulations anything less is a complete cop out (No pun intended). I presume the kid or his parents must know a police officer and he has been let off. It seems pretty typical of what happens at Wycombe compared to other clubs.
Similarly the bloke who pushed one of our players was let off. The whole treatment of football regulations at that ground is a joke. Their fans just think he didn't do anything but if we pushed one of their players and it woukd be hanging
offence. It is unacceptable at any ground.

We were comfortably second best yesterday. What is the most disappointing thing is the fact that we supporters could see it before the game even started, after the team was announced.

We had a good run before Christmas but, I can’t help but think that the squad is relatively one dimensional. We do not have an enforcer (Gorrin isn’t an imposing player either). After the play off defeat it was clear and obvious what was missing but we don’t seem to have addressed the issue.

KR has done a terrific job and i think he deserves this season and certainly the start of the next. Having said that, if you cannot address the clear flaws in the squad then the buck will ultimately, stop with the manager.

Sykes - looked like a player that wasn’t interested yesterday.
When I left the ground I felt we were second best but on reflection were we? The BBC stats show the following:-
Possession WW 43% OUFC 57%
Shots WW 9 OUFC 15
Shots on target WW 5 OUFC 7
Corners WW 2 OUFC 6

The difference was Holland failed to put away his 2 chances in first half, but the WW geezer hit his shot, sweetly with power and scored. Fine margins.
Their second goal came from Long being fouled, ref gave us advantage, our powerful shot rebounded 30 yards, with Long still on the ground, our defence was naively exposed.

When I left the ground I felt we were second best but on reflection were we? The BBC stats show the following:-
Shots WW 9 OUFC 15
Corners WW 2 OUFC 6

The difference was Holland failed to put away his 2 chances in first half, but the WW geezer hit his shot, sweetly with power and scored. Fine margins.
Their second goal came from Long being fouled, ref gave us advantage, our powerful shot rebounded 30 yards, with Long still on the ground, our defence was naively exposed.
I understand what you’re saying I use to think that, but the possession stat means nothing with the amount of passing between the keeper and the back 4 that bumps up the possession.
Yes we had 15 shots with 7 on, compared to theirs 9 shots 5 on, the difference is 2 of their 5 on were in the back of the net. We should be burying ar least one of those chances and with Taylor being poor again yesterday maybe the need for another decent striker with a good scoring rate should be a priority because the two other strike options aren’t up to it.

I understand what you’re saying I use to think that, but the possession stat means nothing with the amount of passing between the keeper and the back 4 that bumps up the possession.
Yes we had 15 shots with 7 on, compared to theirs 9 shots 5 on, the difference is 2 of their 5 on were in the back of the net. We should be burying ar least one of those chances and with Taylor being poor again yesterday maybe the need for another decent striker with a good scoring rate should be a priority because the two other strike options aren’t up to it.
who is this good scoring rate striker? if he's with a club with the record you indicate why would they even consider letting him go?

even if the above 2 is overcome (which it wont be) what is the cost of the overall package to sign such a player and from where do we find the funds, remembering we have to keep within ffp?

who is this good scoring rate striker? if he's with a club with the record you indicate why would they even consider letting him go?

even if the above 2 is overcome (which it wont be) what is the cost of the overall package to sign such a player and from where do we find the funds, remembering we have to keep within ffp?
I know about the ffp maybe there is a young premiership striker who is doing the business and can keep Matty on his toes having said that there are clubs who are gambling that they get promotion otherwise they will have breached the ffp but knowing the EFL they will diddly sauté about it.

But that is the way Wycombe play, they rarely have 50% or more possession. When they have the ball they attack at pace and with few passes. They have a specific game plan and all players know it. It's not pretty but it's mighty effective. They are mentally and physical strong and to beat them you have to break that will. I'm not sure we have the collective mental strength to win those type of games on a regular basis. Winning ugly against the ugliest is not our style.
I totally accept if we had scored the game changes but the longer it stays 0-0 or worse I am not sure we are currently equipped to deal with it.
Ainsworth is clever he breeds that underdog mentality even though their wage budget is probably higher than ours. That fits the culture of the Wycombe fans perfectly. They have a culture of being the underdog and beating in their minds the bigger club. Works even better against us because we think we are bigger and better. We end up as cheap wins for them. What is more upsetting is we never seem to learn and fall into the trap time after time.

I know about the ffp maybe there is a young premiership striker who is doing the business and can keep Matty on his toes having said that there are clubs who are gambling that they get promotion otherwise they will have breached the ffp but knowing the EFL they will diddly sauté about it.
You're not thinking it through Bazz, if a young prem striker is banging them in then he's either on the fringe of first team or the attention of a Championship club.

What was D A record at Burnley before coming here?

You're not thinking it through Bazz, if a young prem striker is banging them in then he's either on the fringe of first team or the attention of a Championship club.

What was D A record at Burnley before coming here?
Never heard of him, the problem is we have to useless strikers I had aspirations that SA would come good and until the Stevenage game this season I still thought the same but after that game nope times up, with Winnall if only he couldnhalf off what we know he’s capable of then hooray but he’s not. KR didn’t address This last summer he must have known we would need another striker. So I would hope he has been looking but after his comments yesterday it doesn’t look like anything is happening in the next few days.
It’s been mentioned many times if Taylor is injured or banned we’re buggered.

Steve Kinniburgh summed it up if he doesn’t want to play for the club then get out of the club
Or words to that affect
Actually thought Sykes was our best player yesterday. Double the work rate of say McGuane.

Kinniburgh has constantly chipped at Sykes throughout his tenure; he clearly doesn’t rate him much.

Actually thought Sykes was our best player yesterday. Double the work rate of say McGuane.

Kinniburgh has constantly chipped at Sykes throughout his tenure; he clearly doesn’t rate him much.
He wasn’t alone so did Nick Harris make comments and from what I’ve read others feel the same

Never heard of him, the problem is we have to useless strikers I had aspirations that SA would come good and until the Stevenage game this season I still thought the same but after that game nope times up, with Winnall if only he couldnhalf off what we know he’s capable of then hooray but he’s not. KR didn’t address This last summer he must have known we would need another striker. So I would hope he has been looking but after his comments yesterday it doesn’t look like anything is happening in the next few days.
It’s been mentioned many times if Taylor is injured or banned we’re buggered.
The opinion on D A has been divided for at least 2 seasons now, it was not long back (early games this season perhaps) that questions were asked why was KR not playing him, he should be in the team etc etc. Now it seems the majority opinion is he's s**t and should be binned off. Yet he is a player capable of holding the ball up, scaring the s**t out of defenders and can score the odd decent goal or 2 or set up others.

I've said before he and Matty appeared to have a telepathic understanding of what the other was doing and what run they would make all in a few brief minutes they were on the pitch together. Likewise his link up play down the right with Henry,Long,Sykes was pretty decent too and again this was in a just brief minutes when on the pitch together.

Much of the problem among our fanbase is that both he and Sam Winnall are expected to deliver in brief cameo appearances what Matty hasn't in the previous 70 odd + Minutes and bizarely when the supply also dries up.

If the roles were reversed I wonder would fans been calling for Matty to be binned off !

He wasn’t alone so did Nick Harris make comments and from what I’ve read others feel the same
Did many of our fanbase not want him anyhere near the team though and few seemed to rate him, now since proving those doubters wrong and catching the eye of potential suitors it's said he's only playing for himself.

Win as a team lose as a team

But that is the way Wycombe play, they rarely have 50% or more possession. When they have the ball they attack at pace and with few passes. They have a specific game plan and all players know it. It's not pretty but it's mighty effective. They are mentally and physical strong and to beat them you have to break that will. I'm not sure we have the collective mental strength to win those type of games on a regular basis. Winning ugly against the ugliest is not our style.
I totally accept if we had scored the game changes but the longer it stays 0-0 or worse I am not sure we are currently equipped to deal with it.
Ainsworth is clever he breeds that underdog mentality even though their wage budget is probably higher than ours. That fits the culture of the Wycombe fans perfectly. They have a culture of being the underdog and beating in their minds the bigger club. Works even better against us because we think we are bigger and better. We end up as cheap wins for them. What is more upsetting is we never seem to learn and fall into the trap time after time.
I’ve really enjoyed the last few years and love the way we play on the whole. But I’m getting really fed up with losing out to horrible teams! The last couple of games have been very disappointing as I thought we were getting a bit more canny and hard to beat.

The opinion on D A has been divided for at least 2 seasons now, it was not long back (early games this season perhaps) that questions were asked why was KR not playing him, he should be in the team etc etc. Now it seems the majority opinion is he's s**t and should be binned off. Yet he is a player capable of holding the ball up, scaring the s**t out of defenders and can score the odd decent goal or 2 or set up others.

I've said before he and Matty appeared to have a telepathic understanding of what the other was doing and what run they would make all in a few brief minutes they were on the pitch together. Likewise his link up play down the right with Henry,Long,Sykes was pretty decent too and again this was in a just brief minutes when on the pitch together.

Much of the problem among our fanbase is that both he and Sam Winnall are expected to deliver in brief cameo appearances what Matty hasn't in the previous 70 odd + Minutes and bizarely when the supply also dries up.

If the roles were reversed I wonder would fans been calling for Matty to be binned off !
I used to back him all the time and right up until his goal against Stevenage I still backed him and was asking why he wasn’t getting regular r game time, but after Stevenage game I thought no that’s time uo for him and sadly he hasn’t done anything of note in the times he played since.

I think that the view of needing a hard nut in midfield is not quite right. I might be in the minority, but I felt we defended ok yesterday, bullied at centre half more than CDM. And when I look back at our promotion sides of both 2010 and 2016, we are lacking in two major areas.

We miss a big physical CB (Creighton/dunkley) and we miss a driving midfielder/goals from midfield (sercombe/Simon Clist, I know clist is slightly different so focus on sercombe).

In 2016, John lundstrum was our CDM, Kane is as good. It’s that sercombe role we miss going forward, breaking the lines when we can’t pass through sides, he would take 2/3 players out the game in a flash, Baptiste did the same, and I thought McGuane would do the same but hasn’t quite happened.

I don’t buy into not having a plan B, top sides don’t do that, they have a better plan A. Wycombe, Sunderland, Rotherham, Wigan, all have a way of playing, it is just a little bit more consistent and better than ours. Which makes them more likely to be fighting for the top two.

We will be too 6, but without that improvement of dynamic power in the middle, I feel we will require more luck to cross the finish line come end of the season.

Shots WW 9 OUFC 15
Corners WW 2 OUFC 6

I can’t remember exactly how it happened but Long seemed to be well and truly taken out, by two players if I remember, it was down in front of me, we just didn’t get the chance to kick it out while he was down. With Seddon well out of position the rest is history.

I thought Sykes was decent on Sat, his energy brings a lot to the team and without it I think we seem flat by comparison. I prefer him central not out wide as I think he can influence the game more. I don't agree with the view he wasn't playing for the team, you could see him putting in the effort - McGuane by comparison was strolling around, not putting in tackles, waiting for the ball to come to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom