Away Match Day Thread 15/01/2022 L1: Wycombe Wanderers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't need to go up a gear as we didn't score.
Yes obviously, my point being they only really have one gear that either works or not...recent seasons suggest it works more than not.

Got to say I'm getting rather fed up of our consistent inability to beat high pressing / physical teams. Shows a severe lack of learning from past mistakes and poor planning by never having a plan B. McGuane, Sykes and Brannagan in MF was never going to work against Wycombe. None of them have an ounce of physicality to their game.

The fact of the matter is that unless these issues are addressed RIGHT NOW in the transfer window then we will not have a shred of hope of promotion this season. As we will be looking to drop points every other game. And it will be yet another failure by KR, as ultimately the buck stops with him.

We can't keep going into every game with the exact same tactics, and hoping and praying the opposition team hasn't done any homework on how to beat us, or hasn't the squad to.
Bang on except nothing isever KR's fault when there is somebody else to throw under the bus instead of him - wonder if Operation Big Dog are aware of his abilities as he may get a consultancy fee

Also why is McNally not getting back into the team? He was quality before his brief absence. Would have been a solid option to play as a defensive trio vs Wycombe. Oh wait, KR would never deviate from his usual formation.

you don’t get it do you, you are not commenting on the fact the goalie is wearing pink. You are associating wearing pink with being gay and using it in a derogatory manner - using gay as an insult. It’s completely unacceptable and thinking it’s unacceptable is not going soft or being ‘woke’ it’s just not being homophobic.
I do get it, I absolutely get it. I have been wearing pink myself for a long time thankfully it doesn't seem to warrant a reaction these days. In the early eighties I wore make up and had dyed hair and myself was the subject of 'homophobic' aggression. I said in my original comment that the chanting was 'unedyfying' surely this suggests that I don't approve of it (I didn't actually hear it at the time) but when I heard the PA announcement I guessed it was something to do with the goalkeeper's kit. The only point I was making was that if a a player came out as gay and was being hounded by fans for that reason it would be much worse than people chanting abuse based on the colour of a kit.

I do get it, I absolutely get it. I have been wearing pink myself for a long time thankfully it doesn't seem to warrant a reaction these days. In the early eighties I wore make up and had dyed hair and myself was the subject of 'homophobic' aggression. I said in my original comment that the chanting was 'unedyfying' surely this suggests that I don't approve of it (I didn't actually hear it at the time) but when I heard the PA announcement I guessed it was something to do with the goalkeeper's kit. The only point I was making was that if a a player came out as gay and was being hounded by fans for that reason it would be much worse than people chanting abuse based on the colour of a kit.

Why is gay being used as a type of discrimination though? regardless if its direct or indirect it still not on. Same as the goalie your a fat c**t chant, look round the stand ffs we hardly the most healthiest bunch of fans in the football league. People need to think before they speak to who else the chant is affecting, if they can't do that they should stay at home and watch man United from their sofa.

Recruitment following our failure against Blackpool in the playoffs, which showed us wnere we were wanting, didn't address our weaknesses. We can play the pretty stuff when the opposition allows us to but we crumble in the face of pace, athleticism and good tactics. The fact is teams now know how to play us and we dont have the guile; the players and most importantly the manager to change it. Another poor finish this season and the new boys in charge are going to make changes.

100% this

Yet again the transfer policy has failed , the need to be able to firstly compete and then dominate other teams in midfield has never been achieved, coupled with a lack of real support or completion up front for Taylor means that we will lose games like yesterday.

The signing of players who don’t either get a game , or when they do get game time don’t offer much had to stop ,
I listened to the game and Mcguane was hardly mentioned, he seemed to have a lot of media coverage prior to the game, knowing that he has the chance to cover for Kane I would have thought he would have made the most of it

What a terrible day. The team and some of our fans let us down badly.

I’m surprised to read so many criticising Wycombe’s football, I thought that bar the opening 15 minutes, all the decent play came from them. We huffed, puffed and blew no houses down and nor do we look like doing so for the foreseeable. We look shot and bereft of all the positives that gave us so much optimism. Does a transfer window have to be so disruptive?

Lastly, I want to see action taken against Wycombe Wanderers for their inaction in relation to the fan who shoved Gavin Whyte. That he was left to meander back to his seat and stay there without being confronted and ejected sums up that club. Small in stature and mind. They’re a better football team than us at the moment, but they’re an embarrassment as club.

Last edited by a moderator:
. The only point I was making was that if a a player came out as gay and was being hounded by fans for that reason it would be much worse than people chanting abuse based on the colour of a kit.
My thinking was changed 30 years ago when one gay mate asked the rest of us to stop calling each other a poof when someone didn’t want to do something. It wasn’t about people being called something they arent, it was the implication that being gay was weak and worthy of ridicule. I started to get it then.
(Full disclosure: I have no pink shirts).

I know this is stating the obvious, but we will not get promotion if we can't keep clean sheets. I think we've only had 3? all season. We can't keep on relying on out scoring the opposition. Some of the football we play at times is super but as has been mentioned before, there doesn't appear to be a plan b.

OUSP STATEMENT

Following allegations of homophobic chanting by fans during the match at Wycombe, the OUSP wishes to make clear that homophobia and all forms of discrimination are never acceptable. We stand by our LGBTQ+ community and encourage fans to report any hate speech or abuse to stewards or via the report it text service.
We will continue to seek ways to support and involve minority groups to create a positive and inclusive matchday atmosphere.

Lastly, I want to see action taken against Wycombe Wanderers for their inaction in relation to the fan who shoved Gavin Whyte. That he was left to meander back to his seat and stay there without being confronted and ejected sums up that club. Small in stature and mind. They’re a better football team that us at the moment, but they’re an embarrassment as club.
Sadly, nothing will happen there. It's pretty clear Wycombe can get away with quite a few things.

That is not to deflect from the homophobic chanting. The "supporters" engaged in that chanting should be banned immediately. No need for that in this day in age.

My thinking was changed 30 years ago when one gay mate asked the rest of us to stop calling each other a poof when someone didn’t want to do something. It wasn’t about people being called something they arent, it was the implication that being gay was weak and worthy of ridicule. I started to get it then.
(Full disclosure: I have no pink shirts).
Why not? They look quite smart

Wycombe win games mainly due to their organisation, shape and physicality but you don’t get to be top of L1
after 27 matches without being able to play. They are supremely fit , hungry and aggressive. Ainsworth has
instilled an incredible work ethic and desire in that squad of players which was perfectly illustrated yesterday with their
ability to close their opponents down and block crosses and shots almost for fun. When the ball went out to Holland and Williams
three Wycombe players quickly surrounded their opponent.

Oxford are technically better but Wycombe do the ‘ detail ‘ better. Detail is the thing that wins games as Sean Dyche always says.

The block on the line from Stewart in the first half - who was magnificent - epitomized their spirit and desire to keep the ball out of
their net. In fact the number of times Oxford had shots and crosses blocked was countless.

Alas, the same could not be said of the U’s. When the ball was struck by Thompson for the first goal Williams turned his back on the shot.

Oxford needed to score from that good opening 25 minutes but like at Lincoln , they came up short.

The second goal also came from a big block - Sykes’s optimistic strike ballooning 20 yards back to McCleary to play in Hanlan
on the counter.

Wycombe are the masters of the dark arts with the shirt pulling, barging and pushing of opponents off the ball
all carefully planned and orchestrated by Ainsworth who will get them promoted.

Robinson knew what to expect, knew what was coming but they are too good at what they do.

The fireworks as the final whistle blew were embarrassing and cringeworthy. A horrible afternoon in many ways
marred by the moronic chanting,the deranged Wycombe pitch invader and incident with a Wycombe idiot and Gavin Whyte.

The scuffles and fisticuffs in the car park and along the road afterwards further soured my day in Bucks.
Bang on though Sean Dyche is maybe not the best example to cite (this season anyway) - not that I would say that to his face

OUSP STATEMENT

Following allegations of homophobic chanting by fans during the match at Wycombe, the OUSP wishes to make clear that homophobia and all forms of discrimination are never acceptable. We stand by our LGBTQ+ community and encourage fans to report any hate speech or abuse to stewards or via the report it text service.
We will continue to seek ways to support and involve minority groups to create a positive and inclusive matchday atmosphere.

This statement is starting to become a bit of a cut and paste job just to get something out by anyone and everyone. For something that clearly needs addressing whilst I have no doubt it would be received well and the media will report OUFC and OUSP have released statements condemning it (which are going to be close to word for word the same) lets break out of mould of putting something in the public domain just because we have to, stop being so lazy in the reporting, and be more progressive with what this means and where this wants to lead because a statement such as this is becoming so normal now it is getting boring and doesn't feel as if it will result in anything.

And it could have been even more powerful as a supporters group that it was said ... in addition we condemn the fan that entered the pitch yesterday putting OUFC players at risk and also condemn the physical assault of an OUFC player by an opposition fan.

And by not releasing a statement condemning the vile and vicious abuse our manager got from virtually every away fan when we played Wimbledon questions whether the statement put out suggesting all forms of discrimination are never acceptable is actually true. You can't pick and choose what is more serious when your statement is so wide reaching, and the wording of the statement actually now suggests that you rightly take homophobia seriously but not so much the discrimination our own manager received a few weeks ago because no statement was released after that.

Done properly this can carry a strong and positive message but it needs to be real, and focus and cover everything without exception. It either means what it says or it doesn't. If it was only about the homophobia of Saturdays game leave out the section about all forms of discrimination. If you really mean all forms of discrimination make sure you report and condemn at all times all forms of discrimination so that it covers any chants directed to other groups that are hurtful and can cause harm.

Maybe as fans we all need direction. A few years ago the fans were the 12th man, their job was to carry their team to victory and that was done by supporting our own team but also doing everything we could to put off our opponents. There has always been a line that you should never cross but that line is getting closer and closer to the point where the purpose of the fan is to just politely applaud our own team. We are clearly in a different world now, but football is still a tribal game that from time to time bring together sets of people from certain areas of the country that do actually hate each other and when these supporters do cross there is inevitably going to be some sort of hate chant. We can sing all we want to about our friends down the road being inbreds and having 6 fingers. But we know it is not true it is just a wind up. But where is the line nowadays and what exactly is the risk for the supporter. Clearly racism and homophobia is going beyond the line, but what exactly is the 'new' line. This is where OUSP and supporters groups across the country can actually be proactive in determining what exactly is and isn't permitted. I would also add the abuse referees and linesman get is at times horrific, and if supporters groups release statements that condemn all sorts of discrimination and abuse why are they quiet when it comes to that directed to the match officials.

It's no longer acceptable to pick and choose whether something is worse than something else as we just don't know the mental consequence something can have on any individual. If you release a statement condemning all forms of discrimination make sure you now always report and condemn any instance of it and not be so selective to save face just because something has got into the national media and because something hasn't been so widely circulated you don't need to get involved because it doesn't matter so much. Well it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom