+++ 14/7/18 Oxford City Vs Oxford United and Hampton & Richmond Vs Oxford United +++

We play again Tuesday night. I’ll bet there will be two or three new faces in the team for that..

Good to see that Don the Baptiste has christened his excellent pre-season with a goal.

Well you're reading a bit to much into a pre season friendly then.

The aim is too iron out the creases and try to win the game. Still 5/6 light in the midfield/forward area. It's really good experience for the youth players, but come Barnsley, it is experience and a blend of experienced young we need. Lets not forget our youth were at clubs like Hampton, Oxford City and over the course of the season, none set the world alight, which is why the U23's is a great idea to learn from the experienced in that squad. The first team squad needs around 22 players, all of whom could fit easily into a match day 11.
Hence the need for the remaining 5/6 players, a figure KR mentioned recently.

We play again Tuesday night. I’ll bet there will be two or three new faces in the team for that..
Doughty invited to play Tuesday. That'll be decision making time I expect from KR on if he's good enough.

The aim is too iron out the creases and try to win the game. Still 5/6 light in the midfield/forward area. It's really good experience for the youth players, but come Barnsley, it is experience and a blend of experienced young we need. Lets not forget our youth were at clubs like Hampton, Oxford City and over the course of the season, none set the world alight, which is why the U23's is a great idea to learn from the experienced in that squad. The first team squad needs around 22 players, all of whom could fit easily into a match day 11.
If we do bring in another 5 or 6 first teamers, what stick will you us to beat the club with next? Too old, too inexperienced, not played at a higher level, not wanted by bigger clubs, loans, deals too long? I honestly don't think you are ever happy!

Obviously nice to win. But do you seriously think those players were trying to there full ability? They were probably playing at 50% trying to avoid injuries.as for none set the world alight. Stevens was Oxford City's best player. Napa very impressive at Hampton. 6 not needed 5 at a push. 2Cm to 1winger and 2Sts. We have a nucleus to a very good squad it's just lacking goals.

Obviously nice to win. But do you seriously think those players were trying to there full ability? They were probably playing at 50% trying to avoid injuries.as for none set the world alight. Stevens was Oxford City's best player. Napa very impressive at Hampton. 6 not needed 5 at a push. 2Cm to 1winger and 2Sts. We have a nucleus to a very good squad it's just lacking goals.

Why so aggressive in the opening sentence? Simply stating what KR was talking of a few days ago. At the end of the day as long as the squad is no smaller than 22 genuine first team players, then we should be there or there about at the end of the season. Napa played some nice touches, but to say he was impressive compared to the rest I don't think so. But that is simply my opinion. A season in the U23 will do him the power of good. He needs to bulk up, to avoid happening what happened a lot last season, where he was knocked off the ball so much as well as losing the ball to stronger players.

We're at a stage now where we have the opportunity to assemble a strong 22/23 first team squad. What we don't want to happen is for the squad to be falsely inflated numbers wise by sticking in youth players who need more time to develop in the U23's, and are not yet first team ready.
Playing an ok season for Hampton or Oxford City, is leagues away from facing former championship side Barnsley in the opening game.

Tbh I suspect the players will still be knackered after very hard training in Ireland and then 3 games in 3 days and the travelling as well on Thursday. It should benefit all in the season though fitness wise, assuming no injuries. The results are ultimately irrelevant other than for the curiosity factor.

As Hampton play just down the road from my home I ambled round to see the game. How civilised to knock back a couple of pints of shandy pitchside and gently wind the lino up.

We looked slow at the back. No one stood out though Noel Williams put in a shift.

Right sided youth team player looked useful when they switched the teams on 75 mins.

However I don’t normally do pre season as they are fitness exercises. The results mean nothing.

Shearer doesn’t inspire one little bit though.

As Hampton play just down the road from my home I ambled round to see the game. How civilised to knock back a couple of pints of shandy pitchside and gently wind the lino up.

We looked slow at the back. No one stood out though Noel Williams put in a shift.

Right sided youth team player looked useful when they switched the teams on 75 mins.

However I don’t normally do pre season as they are fitness exercises. The results mean nothing.

Shearer doesn’t inspire one little bit though.

I never been inspired by Shearer tbf but he is only back up I guess. I hope Jack Stevens gets games in the Abomination Trophy ahead of him for experience and by the end of the season is clear no.2.

But that is simply my opinion. A season in the U23 will do him the power of good. He needs to bulk up, to avoid happening what happened a lot last season, where he was knocked off the ball so much as well as losing the ball to stronger players.

We're at a stage now where we have the opportunity to assemble a strong 22/23 first team squad. What we don't want to happen is for the squad to be falsely inflated numbers wise by sticking in youth players who need more time to develop in the U23's, and are not yet first team ready.
Playing an ok season for Hampton or Oxford City, is leagues away from facing former championship side Barnsley in the opening game.
Mmm disagree with a ;lot of what you said.

Napa played 13 games for us last season. KR rates him. He will be around the first team squad this coming season. If not he will have taken a big step backwards (which I guess nobody expects/ wants)
With regards to the first team KR has made clear that he expects some of the U23s to be filling in the first team squad and no doubt he/ we will be hoping that one or two progress quickly enough to force their way into the team.

• React
Reactions: MJB

Napa played 13 games for us last season. KR rates him. He will be around the first team squad this coming season. If not he will have taken a big step backwards (which I guess nobody expects/ wants)
With regards to the first team KR has made clear that he expects some of the U23s to be filling in the first team squad and no doubt he/ we will be hoping that one or two progress quickly enough to force their way into the team.

To be honest we could sign Mbappe and muppets like @Mellowyellow would be moaning about him being 19 and never playing league 1 before!

Napa appeared in 13 games, but he came off the bench for a few. It wouldn't be a step backwards spending time in the U 23's, as he will be playing with more experienced players, against other teams.

With all due respect, I also hope you are wrong about the U 23 squad filling in readily into the first team squad. Of course if someone performs well, they will be seen in the first team, but Allen, I would think as it is his baby, would want a very defined line between both.

We know our record with injuries. Hall injured already. Without a decent squad, we'll be down to the proverbial bare bones straight away.

What happens if we had signed Sterling? And a muppet like @Mellowyellow would have moaned but then again after what we have seen I think a lot
Would have moaned about him.

A muppet like me, and you spend half your time in conflict with people over the lack of strikers. That must make you the ultimate muppet beaker I guess. Thanks for singling me out by the way.
Funny that, I thought a forum was the place to give opinions in a jovial way.

Back
Top Bottom