+++ 14/7/18 Oxford City Vs Oxford United and Hampton & Richmond Vs Oxford United +++

Thoughts from City game
Brannagan - top notch midfielder
Jones - too light weight with a surprising lack of pace - hope a one off but will have to improve significantly to make the grade
Norman - a big unit - did ok but caught in possession a couple of times at the wrong end of the field ( our pen area ! )
The young lad who replaced Jones upfront - raw talent who given time could be one to make it - at least trys to win headers, more than our friend Obika
Baptiste - not bad.
Little - too early to shout - still green

Without stating the obvious re lack of forwards - we need to inject a bit more pace into the side - so the Irish lad maybe a bonus to this.

With Jones, do you mean Owen James?

I suspect we will have far more pace by the start of the season and of course Robbie Hall will help with that as well.

I haven’t been to any pre season games so far but on the face of it it, Obika has scored quite a few. I know that doesn’t tell the whole story Does this bode well for the new season or is it just wishful thinking that we might be seeing a different Obika?

I haven’t been to any pre season games so far but on the face of it it, Obika has scored quite a few. I know that doesn’t tell the whole story Does this bode well for the new season or is it just wishful thinking that we might be seeing a different Obika?
The fact he seems to have stayed fit and available for all the games so far is a good start!

A few comments in the thread re Obika ... for me he did ok (missed lots of great chances) against a poor defence, looked the same Obika = just isn’t good enough for league one. Hope he proves me wrong ... well actually I hope he doesn’t get the chance because he’s at best our third striker (preferably fourth - I’m forever he optimist). PS I thought Sinclair had a good game for City - very capable.
I am a fan of Obika, but I did notice he rarely won a header. I could be wrong.

My biggest problem with Obika last season was just how reactive his play was. Quite often other players would literally have to point at the space where they wanted him to run so that they could play a pass. Also in the box I didn't feel he took enough chances, and used to just hover in the middle somewhere waiting for the ball to come to him, rather than making runs or using movement to get some space.

Albeit against much weaker opposition yesterday, he did seem to be a bit more proactive in terms of his movement, which was promising. It's good to see him banging in a few goals so far in pre-season, as he does strike me as a confidence type player.

All that said, I really think we need two more forwards to provide depth and flexibility in our forward play. Here's hoping for some announcements early this week.

Thoughts from City game
Brannagan - top notch midfielder
Jones - too light weight with a surprising lack of pace - hope a one off but will have to improve significantly to make the grade
Norman - a big unit - did ok but caught in possession a couple of times at the wrong end of the field ( our pen area ! )
The young lad who replaced Jones upfront - raw talent who given time could be one to make it - at least trys to win headers, more than our friend Obika
Baptiste - not bad.
Little - too early to shout - still green

Without stating the obvious re lack of forwards - we need to inject a bit more pace into the side - so the Irish lad maybe a bonus to this.

Little do d ok and looks very promising struck us quite a decent partnership with Norman

Back
Top Bottom