Home Match Day Thread +++ 14/1/2020 OUFC V Ipswich Town L1 +++

unification

Haven’t done one of these in a while so here goes.

Nervous as hell about this one. Two league defeats on the bounce and I’d sooner wish we had a Rochdale or Tranmere to play now rather than Ipswich. This will be a real test of our side. Come out of it with a win and we’re back in it again.

However, do I have as much to worry about as I think? Ipswich probably won’t play as physically as Rotherham, they’re only just exiting their own lengthy winless run and we were only bad for the first 45 mins against Rotherham and that can be remedied with a better team selection.

I think it’ll be a draw. I’m hopeful that we go all out positive from the start with our team selection and we can improve on my passive prediction.

I am not going for a win , just settle down bit and take a draw and build on that.
would love a win , but it’s not a Tuesday night at the Manor , which us old lads knows the London Road had scored one goal even before the game had started...

Have a bad feeling about this so hope I am wrong!
Supposed to be some awful weather as well, could it be in doubt?

Any chance for Agyei to get a chance! He offers something different to Taylor and Mackie. He has looked promising in the few minutes hes had on the pitch.

Eastwood
Long Dickie Mous Ruffels
Browne Gorrin Baptiste
Sykes Taylor Fosu

Fair enough resting Brannagan but not sure why we'd announce it early, surely only benefits Ipswich?

2-1, Taylor + Baptiste

Lee Doughty is the ref. Age 30, promoted from conference in 2018, he was in charge of the FA Cup game at Walsall. I think KR was booked in that game which contributed to his touchline ban at the weekend.

Just checked online and we haven't played Ipswich since 1999!

I was a poor student back then; we had family who were Ipswich fans and every time we went to Portman Road, they'd always pay my way - but I'd have to watch from the home end.
Was never a problem getting myself into trouble though, because we always lost every year. I remember Kieron Dyer in particular tearing us a new one.

Fingers crossed for a response from Saturday tomorrow.

Not too fussed about Brannagan because he was a shell of his normal self at the weekend; needs to go away and get fit.

Chance for Kelly to play, and hopefully Browne, Taylor and maybe Holland as well.
(Below assumes Henry is still not fit - do we know what his status is?)

Eastwood
Long Dickie Mousinho Ruffels
Gorrin
Baptiste Kelly
Holland Taylor Browne

Eastwood
Long Dickie Mous Ruffels
Baptiste Gorrin Browne
Holland Taylor Fosu

Subs: Stevens, Moore, Atkinson, Kelly, Sykes, Agyei, Mackie

• React
Reactions: m
The only home game I can remember v Ipswich is in 1985, we were 3-0 down at half time but won 4-3 with a Aldridge hat-trick.

Someone asked for more after the look at Rotherham's stats, so blame them:

Form

Ipswich have five points from their last six games (Oxford have nine). Their only win in that period came against Accrington at the weekend. They were 3-0 up at half time, which must be a painful humiliation for the other team.

They have 24 points from 13 away games. Only Rotherham have more (26).

Style of play

They are the fourth highest scorers in L1 with 37 (Oxford 42). Their 20 goals away from home are also fourth best.

However, they are 12th in shots per game (Oxford are fifth). They drop to 18th when looking at away games only. They strongly favour shots from inside the six yard box.

They are fourth highest in aerial duals won (Oxford 20th, Rotherham are obviously first). They score from set pieces a lot.

Ipswich enjoy the third highest share of posession in the division (Oxford obviously first). Interesting that they are 11th in pass accuracy (Oxford are obviously first). Since possession is basically a count of your total passes, Ipswich may take chances with direct or long passes, and they must be good at winning the ball back.

Ipswich dribble the ball more than anyone else in the league away from home.

They have the meanest defence in the league, conceding 23 (Oxford 25) overall. They make a lot of tackles and interceptions away from home.

Ipswich are level with Sunderland as the worst disciplinary record in the league (51 yellow, 3 red). They commit the most fouls per game (Oxford third).

Highlights

I watched the YouTube short highlights from three recent games.

Accrington (h) – won 4-1:

Opened the scoring with a passing move, taking the ball from one side to the other, before playing it down the flank and across the face of the goal for a tap in. Super goal. Second goal was a punt forwards and Norwood chipped the keeper. Third goal a chip into box, knock down and shot. Fourth they stole the ball from a defender. Conceded a penalty. Overall a real mix, but were clearly willing to play a long ball.

Wycombe (a) – drew 1-1:

Scored from a Garbutt free kick on the left, headed in from about six yards out. They pulled a cute move with one player putting the ball down, and another immediately taking the kick, catching Wycombe out. Conceded the ‘Wycombe goal’ – Akinfenwa knock on to other striker.

Lincoln (a) – lost 5-3:

Garbutt FK. Then a short corner, headed in. Third was a passing move worked down the right and then into the box for a shot.

Conceded to long ball and run/pass, a long ball to the striker through on goal, a dribble and pass across the face of goal, a short corner and a passing move on the counter.

Summary

Ipswich are capable of playing passing football, and they seem to favour moves that work the ball out wide and then across the face of goal. We will need to track wide players. However, they are also happy to hit the ball long when the opportunity presents itself. Ipswich pick their opportunities, scoring plenty from fewer shots.

Set pieces are a danger, and we need to be really switched on to quick restarts.

From two minutes of footage, Lincoln had joy with direct football and players running hard towards goal. Ipswich commit plenty of fouls. Browne, Fosu, Holland, over to you.

Eastwood
Long Dickie Mous Ruffels
Kelly Gorrin Baptiste
Holland Taylor Browne

SUBS: Mackie, Fosu, Sykes, Agyei, Hall, Moore, Stevens
Fosu needs a rest, and Browne and Holland were very good in the 2nd half on Saturday, and can provide the service for Taylor, who clearly has to start.
Not sure how fit Kelly is, but with Brannagan out, give him 60-70mins.
REALLY need to go for it tomorrow and get the win, because eventually the top 6 will start to pull away, and we want to make sure we're part of that, and not losing too much ground on the trop two either.

COYY

Eastwood
Long Dickie Mous Ruffels
Baptiste Gorrin Browne
Holland Taylor Fosu

Subs: Stevens, Moore, Atkinson, Kelly, Sykes, Agyei, Mackie
Atkinson? He’s been loaned straight back to Eastleigh

Back
Top Bottom