Home Match Day Thread + + + 14/08/18 OUFC v Coventry City EFL Cup + + +

Baptiste was really good. Very athletic - got about the pitch well, good leap, strong and aggressive and decent pace. He was disciplined and used the ball well too. He also had the better of Abu Ogogo throughout the game, which is worth recognition.

Definitely a prospect.

Just watched the highlights ..... wouldnt change the team for saturday ... more fight and 2 great assists

Baptiste was really good. Very athletic - got about the pitch well, good leap, strong and aggressive and decent pace. He was disciplined and used the ball well too. He also had the better of Abu Ogogo throughout the game, which is worth recognition.

Definitely a prospect.

He was good. The chap next to me said that Baptiste reminded him of a young Clarence Seedorf in the way
he passed and moved. High praise indeed.

lower crowd, less pressure on the side from both manager and fans, fans getting behind the side rather than moaning, we win. Who would of thought those things would mean we won the game tonight.

So, if just 10 of us turn up but cheer on the team non-stop, we should win by a cricket score? errrmm....

There was certainly more about that team last night than the assemblage that played Fleetwood. And it was much more enjoyable - there was more pace, more closing down, more play through midfield than over it and we actually looked threatening!

On current fitness and form: Whyte is more effective than Mackie, Norman more threatening than MacMahon (and as good defensively) and I would be saying Baptiste ought to start in the middle if Hansen wasn't available for Saturday. Browne should start, and Henry instead of Hall.

I was a little concerned to hear KR jump down Nathan's throat when he asked if anyone had played their way into contention for Saturday's game by saying that he had already decided on Saturday's team before last night's game. If that's true then I don't understand it at all - surely as a manager you look at players in their first competitive game or first start of the season and decide if they are better than what you've got?

There was certainly more about that team last night than the assemblage that played Fleetwood. And it was much more enjoyable - there was more pace, more closing down, more play through midfield than over it and we actually looked threatening!

On current fitness and form: Whyte is more effective than Mackie, Norman more threatening than MacMahon (and as good defensively) and I would be saying Baptiste ought to start in the middle if Hansen wasn't available for Saturday. Browne should start, and Henry instead of Hall.

I was a little concerned to hear KR jump down Nathan's throat when he asked if anyone had played their way into contention for Saturday's game by saying that he had already decided on Saturday's team before last night's game. If that's true then I don't understand it at all - surely as a manager you look at players in their first competitive game or first start of the season and decide if they are better than what you've got?

Agree with you about deciding Saturday’s team before last night’s match. Strange. And he seems so defensive! I would like to see him being (dare I say it) more MAPP-like and actually being stoic after defeats and wins rather than just saying he is not affected by results.

All that said, very happy with last night.

Football managers will plan their teams in advance depending on who they are playing. Some players will be more suited to certain games than others. Occasionally a player will change his mind due to being consistent in training or taking his chance when given it.
I really can’t believe we have played 3 games and every word Robinson says is getting scrutinised.

Football managers will plan their teams in advance depending on who they are playing. Some players will be more suited to certain games than others. Occasionally a player will change his mind due to being consistent in training or taking his chance when given it.
I really can’t believe we have played 3 games and every word Robinson says is getting scrutinised.
100% agree. A prime example of this Is last Saturday, I bet Robbo played around with 3/4 different squad ideas and ALL of them would have had Eastwood in it. Things happen leading up to games, sometimes a few days, sometimes a few hours or some times a few minutes. Robinson is no mug, he will know after last night that there are players who he has to consider now.

Agree with you about deciding Saturday’s team before last night’s match. Strange. And he seems so defensive! I would like to see him being (dare I say it) more MAPP-like and actually being stoic after defeats and wins rather than just saying he is not affected by results.

Or the other way you could read his post-match comments as he had already planned to make changes and last night simply confirmed what he was already thinking . . . either way, we will find out soon enough!

Would not be surprised to see Browne start though (KR was full of praise for him after last night and described him as "an absolute machine" on Saturday) and think he will have taken some heart from Garbutt's display (who he has described as one of the most passionate footballers he's ever worked with). I am wondering though if he is having serious questions about his best CD pairing . . . has he concluded that,as good as they are individually, Nelson and Dickie do not work as a pair . . maybe a surprise there?:unsure:

But don't you think that a manager should at least be open to changing his ideas and team, even if just slightly, if he sees 'fringe' players playing better than his first choice players in a competitive match?
It seems bizarre to just dismiss performances in a competitive match... and be so defensive about it.

It did come across weirdly, an innocuous question about selection headaches after some good performances and he quickly and almost angrily said 'no, I already know my team for Saturday' or similar. That makes no sense, surely someone could have played their way in our out of the team potentially last night?

To be fair, although MAPP became a good interviewee at OUFC, in the early days before the results started coming and when he was getting stick for not having a plan B, my recollection is that he could be quite frosty in his post match interviews. I think he chilled out quite a bit during his time with OUFC.

Back
Top Bottom