Home Match Day Thread + + + 14/08/18 OUFC v Coventry City EFL Cup + + +

And another quote from the Coventry forum

Left 5 mins early...that pole of s**t looks like relegation fodder.

That too against a very poor Oxford team.

Was it as dark at the game as Rad Ox made it out to be? They moaned on and off all the way through the 2nd half about it

Or the other way you could read his post-match comments as he had already planned to make changes and last night simply confirmed what he was already thinking . . . either way, we will find out soon enough!

Would not be surprised to see Browne start though (KR was full of praise for him after last night and described him as "an absolute machine" on Saturday) and think he will have taken some heart from Garbutt's display (who he has described as one of the most passionate footballers he's ever worked with). I am wondering though if he is having serious questions about his best CD pairing . . . has he concluded that,as good as they are individually, Nelson and Dickie do not work as a pair . . maybe a surprise there?:unsure:
He did praise Mous in his interview. In the first two games Nelson has looked like a player who has had his head turned. Hope I'm wrong!!

I remember that game, very poor from both sides. Jake Wright squared up to some meathead as they were coming off

Pedant alert, but I think the Jake Wright squaring off game was the 1-0 defeat to Dagenham the season before. The wheels had fallen off, Waddock didn't have the means to put them back on and things boiled over. I think it was the game with an utterly bizarre own goal from Matt Bevans that managed to defy physics.

I can't speak for this abuse given to MApp (not many of us we're all that happy with him considering the first half of the 2014-15 season), but it may have been down to us only being six points off relegation at the time. Cheltenham and Tranmere were the teams to drop in the end. The table at the time is below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30748110

Pedant alert, but I think the Jake Wright squaring off game was the 1-0 defeat to Dagenham the season before. The wheels had fallen off, Waddock didn't have the means to put them back on and things boiled over. I think it was the game with an utterly bizarre own goal from Matt Bevans that managed to defy physics.

I can't speak for this abuse given to MApp (not many of us we're all that happy with him considering the first half of the 2014-15 season), but it may have been down to us only being six points off relegation at the time. Cheltenham and Tranmere were the teams to drop in the end. The table at the time is below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30748110

Meades and Hoskins both sharing a pitch there...the physio room must have been spookily empty, at least until the day after the match.

Was it as dark at the game as Rad Ox made it out to be? They moaned on and off all the way through the 2nd half about it
Pretty dark on the touchline area north stand for about three yards in. Bit strange having quite a long queue for turnstiles nine and ten at 19.25 for such a low gate, Stadco again I suppose

Last edited:
Just has scan of the scum forum matchday thread regarding their game last night......quite comical
One even said they would take the Beak back

Have to confess that the main instinct after last night's result was relief.
It's like the ol' poker saying - "If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker"

When you start the season as we've done, there's always this nagging doubt in my mind that we might actually be really, really bad this year and in for a 2000/01-style disaster. And that feeling doesn't really go away until we play a team that's clearly much worse than us.

Thankfully, if that is indeed Coventry's first team that we just comfortably beat despite fielding a team that including three players making their first start at the Football League/League Cup level, we can be more confident going forwards that there are indeed some terrible teams in this division.

Spoke to a Coventry fan I know who went last night and did indeed confirm that was pretty much their first team and is already worried...

Spoke to a Coventry fan I know who went last night and did indeed confirm that was pretty much their first team and is already worried...
They looked similar to the Coventry side that got relegated,youd think that after promotion theyd have much more confidence in what they were doing.

McNulty was a big loss.
But they were excellent in the play off final, Robins is a good manager and it is very very early in the season.

Back
Top Bottom