Home Match Day Thread + + + 14/08/18 OUFC v Coventry City EFL Cup + + +

KR comes across, dare I say, somewhat chippy in recent interviews. Mind you, we enjoyed success under the previous chippy Northern manager so perhaps a positive?

To be fair, although MAPP became a good interviewee at OUFC, in the early days before the results started coming and when he was getting stick for not having a plan B, my recollection is that he could be quite frosty in his post match interviews. I think he chilled out quite a bit during his time with OUFC.

On reflection, you’re right- he was not always so calm in interviews. The fact that his start here was so bumpy and turned out so successful can give us more optimism.

I love KR’s passion, I just think he could channel it better at times - an innocuous question which perhaps did not need the snappy response!

But hey, I’m not his mum!!

(... or am I!?)

I'd be tempted to go Mousinho and Dickie at the back. It's clear there's a better understanding between the 2. Now I know this won't happen but i just think when we're in need of a point or 3 in the league you want to go for the best partnership not the best individual's.

Nelson is a great CB, I do feel like he isn't quite ready for the full 90 at the moment,missing some match sharpness,When he is he definitely starts.

To be fair, although MAPP became a good interviewee at OUFC, in the early days before the results started coming and when he was getting stick for not having a plan B, my recollection is that he could be quite frosty in his post match interviews. I think he chilled out quite a bit during his time with OUFC.
I remember going to Dagenham away in the league in January 2015, ended 0-0, and because the players' tunnel at Dagenham is in the away end, MApp had to run a gauntlet of absolutely vitriolic abuse from OUFC fans as he left the field at the end of the game. I thought at the time it was pretty shocking and unwarranted. A year to the day later we beat Swansea in the FA Cup and he was being assigned almost legendary status by our fanbase. It does my head in how fans can have such high expectations and such little patience, and I sympathise hugely with players and managers who get a bit frosty in such situations. There's absolutely no point in getting on KR's back or, indeed, any of our players' backs (Obika...) at this point in the season, and, given people already are, I think KR is within his rights to be a bit defensive.

I remember going to Dagenham away in the league in January 2015, ended 0-0, and because the players' tunnel at Dagenham is in the away end, MApp had to run a gauntlet of absolutely vitriolic abuse from OUFC fans as he left the field at the end of the game. I thought at the time it was pretty shocking and unwarranted. A year to the day later we beat Swansea in the FA Cup and he was being assigned almost legendary status by our fanbase. It does my head in how fans can have such high expectations and such little patience, and I sympathise hugely with players and managers who get a bit frosty in such situations. There's absolutely no point in getting on KR's back or, indeed, any of our players' backs (Obika...) at this point in the season, and, given people already are, I think KR is within his rights to be a bit defensive.
speaking of the man, I just want to add that I thought he played very well last night. It was good to see him running with the ball.

Or the other way you could read his post-match comments as he had already planned to make changes and last night simply confirmed what he was already thinking . . . either way, we will find out soon enough!

Would not be surprised to see Browne start though (KR was full of praise for him after last night and described him as "an absolute machine" on Saturday) and think he will have taken some heart from Garbutt's display (who he has described as one of the most passionate footballers he's ever worked with). I am wondering though if he is having serious questions about his best CD pairing . . . has he concluded that,as good as they are individually, Nelson and Dickie do not work as a pair . . maybe a surprise there?:unsure:

Regarding Dickie and Mousinho, they had 3/4 months at the end of last season to learn to play together. Probably is the better option for the next few games while Nelson gets back to fitness. I doubt anything else but a Nelson/Dickie combination will be what Robinson wants for the rest of the season though, if only just to keep them both at the club!

I remember that game, very poor from both sides. Jake Wright squared up to some meathead as they were coming off

We had plenty of patience with Pep...look what happened. How long have you been supporting professional football? Fans have been reacting like this since time immemorial. It has always been that way and always will. As I have said before, football management can be brutal. Supporters crave success and anything less has the inevitable outcome I,m afraid. Failure cannot be tolerated. Obvious exceptions like Dario Gradi, but not many more.

Wonder what the thinking is behind the set piece,where there are 2 players round the ball and one picks the ball and places it down as the player starts his run up. Wonder if it's a tactic to try and catch the opposition sleeping. Once we master it we could get a few goals from teams napping off the back of giving a foul away.

As far as this goes, there was a concerted effort by some in the East Stand to encourage Obika last night. A chant for him, applauding him when he did OK etc. It was good to hear.

There was one good run he did in the 2nd half
Basically chasing a lost cause but won the ball and got the pass in, that’s what I want to see commitment, so yes Obika played a lot better last night and also just wide for a header.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom