Home Match Day Thread 14/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Wigan

Barker was pressed quickly ,I would have expected a player with his ability to read that, understand he was 35 yards from goal and play the way he was facing to Ruffles who was completely free instead of turning into trouble . A good idea the quick throw but well read by Wigan.
Barker's very good on the ball, at the moment though he needs to concentrate on his game without the ball. I'm sure that will come as he integrates into the team.

Pretty much how I saw it. Another day Barker could have turned the defender and be gone, we'd be saying what a great bit of distribution it was.

At the time it was 0-0 and we were looking to win the game. They were committed forward so a quick release and counter could have proved dangerous, but fair play to Wigan, they read the danger and turned it to their advantage.

I'd be critical of Stevens had we been 1-0 up at the time, but not for that. Good idea, maybe poor execution.

Looking at the highlights, if Barker had controlled the ball going forward rather stepping backwards then he'd have got away from the Wigan player with the ball. I think he thought he had more time than he did. Barker I think needs to adapt and understand that he will get pressed quickly at times in L1, the technical ability might not be as high as PL/Championship (obviously) but the work rate of opposition players will be similar.

Oh dear....back page of todays OM....'latest table' doesnt include last nights Lincoln v Accrington result ....and even more inexplicable Oxford United isnt (as is usual) highlighted in bold print, instead the MK part of the franchise name is highlighted in bold print

Really poor from the local paper , which is generally fairly decent on sport coverage, predominantly OUFC.

Is the new reporter Liam Rice a closet franchise fan?

Looking at the highlights, if Barker had controlled the ball going forward rather stepping backwards then he'd have got away from the Wigan player with the ball. I think he thought he had more time than he did. Barker I think needs to adapt and understand that he will get pressed quickly at times in L1, the technical ability might not be as high as PL/Championship (obviously) but the work rate of opposition players will be similar.
I think it also depends on what the other players were doing. It's hard to hear from the highlights. If that was me in Barker's position I would expect other players to be screaming there is a man on.

Oh dear....back page of todays OM....'latest table' doesnt include last nights Lincoln v Accrington result ....and even more inexplicable Oxford United isnt (as is usual) highlighted in bold print, instead the MK part of the franchise name is highlighted in bold print

Really poor from the local paper , which is generally fairly decent on sport coverage, predominantly OUFC.

He’s a northern lad covering James Roberts who is on holiday!

Paper may well have been put to bed before the Accy result. Presumably it goes to the printers earlier on a Sunday.

Just watched their goal again, Stevens does nothing wrong and in fact should be praised for quick distribution to our quickest player who on another day might have turned and caused them problems. Barker hangs his head when the ball hits the net which shows he blames himself. Mad3 up for it though with a wonderful cross to Winnall.
Having watched the highlights, the ball seems to bounce up in front of Barker and the defender does well to anticipate and nip the ball away. That said there were two more passes after that and nobody has mentioned how easily Atkinson got turned by their forward. That was just as disappointing as Barker’s control.

Pretty much how I saw it. Another day Barker could have turned the defender and be gone, we'd be saying what a great bit of distribution it was.

At the time it was 0-0 and we were looking to win the game. They were committed forward so a quick release and counter could have proved dangerous, but fair play to Wigan, they read the danger and turned it to their advantage.

I'd be critical of Stevens had we been 1-0 up at the time, but not for that. Good idea, maybe poor execution.
But that didn’t happen and wasn’t the case, hence a higher risk.

But that didn’t happen and wasn’t the case, hence a higher risk.
No it didn't, but blaming Stevens for the goal is a stretch IMO. He did a quick release, which didn't work out. We still had half the team back in defensive positions, and missed at least two chances to clear it.

Moore's goal was reminiscent of the bulldozer approach of Briggs, Shotton and Elliott. Fantastic determination and attitude.
I was expecting the ref to blow for a foul as he’d earlier given them a couple of really soft fouls in their box.

Back
Top Bottom