Home Match Day Thread +++ 13/8/2019 EFL Cup 1st Rnd: OUFC v Peterborough FC +++

Couldn't make the tonight unfortunately, had to work.

Great result, keeps the momentum going, and good that some important squad players and new signings got some vital minutes under their belts.

Keep up the good work lads, well done!

Having a beer and a reflection.

Obviously great to win, but that was not a match to set the pulse racing. I doubt we’d have scored had it not been from a set piece, and I can’t think of any real chances we carved out. However, as a sort of ‘tester’ game to see how our second string can perform if needed, it seems we can carry on the KR hallmark of being a very solid side even with most of our first team missing, which is very promising indeed - especially given that that was against as good a L1 attacking force as we are likely to see (the caveat is obviously the lack of Maddison, and thus any real attacking creativity, but how many teams have a Maddison?). We controlled the midfield, gave up very little if anything at the back and kept our discipline. Woodburn has a bit of the shithouse about him, which I like. His legs also move astonishingly quickly - I don’t think we’ve had anyone that good on the ball since Roofe!

I said in the summer that I was astonished no one was coming in for CB, and to be honest I can’t see him staying beyond January let alone next summer if he continues this form. The fact he’s adding goals to his imperious midfield performances is turning him into arguably the best CM in the league for my money. Sheer quality.

Holy f**k we actually got Millwall! I thought people were just putting their ideal draw! Maaaad

Class win + another clean sheet, only goal we’ve conceded this season is still that dodgy penalty vs Sunderland

I thought Sykes looked a class above in the first half, i have no idea how he is not getting in the starting 11, let alone the 18. He drove with the ball provided much needed energy, vision and he's actually quicker than i thought. Also dickie and moore look like they could form a good partnership. However I'm very concerned out the two wing backs today... ruffels and long are good squad player but in my opinion shouldn't be starting full backs.

Another solid display with some tidy football played. We lacked pace in the final third and without an out and out striker on the pitch we struggled to make it stick up top. As a result we didn't really generate much of a goal threat, so it was unsurprising that our goal came from a set piece. We really could do with another striker in the building sooner rather than later (hurry up Matty). A pacy winger (Ariyibi?) wouldn't go amiss either.

I thought Moore put in a decent performance against probably one of the toughest strikers in the league to play against, which obviously bodes well. It undoubtedly must help having the Dickster alongside him in such good form (thank God we got him to sign a new contract!).

Brannagan put in his third top class performance in a row, and two goals from three games is a great return from him. Long may it continue. I've always liked him, but often thought he could be a bit too erratic and headstrong, but this season he seems to have turned a corner and added a bit more calmness and measure to his play. Again, long may that continue.

I also thought Skykes has really good game. He suits the no10 role perfectly and I think, given the opportunity, will be an excellent player. We certainly have lots of competition in that area of the pitch.

Things are definitely seeming positive at the moment. If we can add 3/4 more players to this squad we could be in for an exciting season.

COYY

Back
Top Bottom