Home Match Day Thread 13-10-2020 L1 OUFC v Crewe Alexandra (2nd attempt MATCH OFF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tranmere had 10 fit first team players. They were told they had to play. But Crewe decide themselves when they postpone games, as long as they let the world know at some point before kick off.

We definitely need to know *why* they have called this off IMO.

If they have ten players who cannot play due to being infected, I think that's OK. Very disappointing but I'd rather clubs tested their players, were honest about the results and didn't travel. The last thing we need is clubs to try to avoid forfeiting points by not testing or by hiding positive tests.

If they have two or three out, then they should play the fixture - every team is likely to be in a similar position at some time this season. They can't just decide that they don't want to play and use a positive test or two as an excuse.

A complete farce, how come they played Saturday? Questions have to be asked and 3 points to us
The game on Saturday with them all being in close proximity could have been what caused it to spread like wildfire, especially rushing players like Beckles back after the positive test...

We definitely need to know *why* they have called this off IMO.

If they have ten players who cannot play due to being infected, I think that's OK.
Pretty sure the Bolton kindergarten were compelled to play for league points last season. Don’t Crewe have a youth set-up? It would be grossly unfair to overload our fixture list further when rival teams MAY be resting in the late season.

I can't help thinking that they were all sat in a bus with an infected player among them this time last week.
Pretty sure the Bolton kindergarten were compelled to play for league points last season. Don’t Crewe have a youth set-up? It would be grossly unfair to overload our fixture list further when rival teams MAY be resting in the late season.
Yes, I understand that point of view, but don't want the clubs to have an incentive to not test their players or not release the results.

No we don`t.
They have taken a unilateral decision to not fulfil the fixture.
They forfeit the game and we get the points.

Clarity. common sense and a message sent.

Easy.
I fear this won't happen. If clubs start forfeiting points, they will start to hide cases or not bother testing and as much as we don't like it, the EFL won't sanction that.......it'll be rearranged for a cold rainy January Tuesday night

This is what happens when the rules are not clear. At what point does a club forfeit the games and points awarded to the opposition? If it doesn’t exist then it should

On the basis that this is pretty much saying we have a squad full of Covid, I am guessing that Wigan will all now have to isolate after Saturdays game?

I fear this won't happen. If clubs start forfeiting points, they will start to hide cases or not bother testing and as much as we don't like it, the EFL won't sanction that.......it'll be rearranged for a cold rainy January Tuesday night
Perhaps if Crewe handled the Covid cases better first time, they wouldn't be in the situation again (if it is Covid). Probably infected half the Wigan team now.

Yes, rearrange, but what if they suspend the league for a X weeks and we have no other games called off?

I can't help thinking that they were all sat in a bus with an infected player among them this time last week.

Yes, I understand that point of view, but don't want the clubs to have an incentive to not test their players or not release the results.

You are right; testing needs centralising in order to give this trial of a return to football any hope.

But Crewe’s behaviour is nothing short of remiss and they need to be heavily censured. I was agog to see their two players featuring vs Wigan.

They weren't testing anyway, hence the original debacle with Crewe, so wouldn't be a lot different!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom