+++ 13/07/20 L1 Play Off FINAL - OUFC v Wycombe+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine question. "Nice expansive pitch"?
I think there's an assumption that because Wembley stadium is huge so is the pitch. I vaguely remember something from a few years back that our pitch and Wembley are about the same size. Which could still be expansive!

PS I bet Karl has had the training pitch marked out to Wembley sized proportions this week.

When MApp came in, he remarked that our pitch was as big as Wembley's, so he made it a little bit smaller but not much.

The bigger the pitch, the more it suits us really. Wycombe will no doubt look to defend resolutely and play it long, which is much easier to do on a small pitch in terms of length and width. I think the real comparison we need to make is the difference between the Wembley pitch and Adam's Park, rather than with ours. Let's not forget Wycombe had a pretty dreadful away run, which could be in part due to the fact that opposition pitches were bigger.

I am neither on the positive bus nor the negative bus. Merely hanging from a string between the two busses hurtling down the M40, shitting myself.

My prediction? 120 +15 mins of nail biting dirty hoofball that we cannot keep under control. Balls flying left right and center, Dickie and Moore heading away every one of them. Mixed with many acrobatic saves from Eastwood to keep it 0-0. Three round of penalties just to add to the cardiac arrest.

I am neither on the positive bus nor the negative bus. Merely hanging from a string between the two busses hurtling down the M40, shitting myself.

My prediction? 120 +15 mins of nail biting dirty hoofball that we cannot keep under control. Balls flying left right and center, Dickie and Moore heading away every one of them. Mixed with many acrobatic saves from Eastwood to keep it 0-0. Three round of penalties just to add to the cardiac arrest.
If it goes to penalties I'm going out for a run and will look up the result later, not sure I want that kind of stress in my life...

Before my time that mate!

Breaks my heart we can't be there.
Unfortunately, it WAS in my time! I would say, that I'm more peed off now, than what I was then. At least we were in the old First (Premier) Division! Beating Arseholenal 3-0 felt bluddy good, I can tell you! Also stuffing Man U in Fergie's first match was hilarious! f**k me! I've just remembered what a great year that was!

When MApp came in, he remarked that our pitch was as big as Wembley's, so he made it a little bit smaller but not much.

The bigger the pitch, the more it suits us really. Wycombe will no doubt look to defend resolutely and play it long, which is much easier to do on a small pitch in terms of length and width. I think the real comparison we need to make is the difference between the Wembley pitch and Adam's Park, rather than with ours. Let's not forget Wycombe had a pretty dreadful away run, which could be in part due to the fact that opposition pitches were bigger.

Thanks. That's what I must have remembered. Easier to defend on a narrow pitch.
Then Karl got it widened again.
But you're right the interesting comparison is with the Wycombe pitch.

So Wembley is apparently a little longer but a little narrower than the true home of football.

I can't be arsed to see the size of the Wycombe pitch but seeing as they only play on a narrow strip through the middle it really makes little difference!

They play in the air, as (I think) Brian Clough said “if god had intended football to be played in the air he would of put grass up there”.

Let’s be honest Wycombe are just wrong ins who cheated their way into the play offs and have only made two passes on the ground all season, best to just kick them out now and give us promotion now.

Isn't that just because we are first in alphabetical order? Didn't realise there was a home and away team at Wembley? Obviously you can be given different changing rooms and sides of the ground.
Maybe we are the away team because we (cough!) finished below them in the table? This would be in line with the principle that that in the semi finals the highest placed team is given the slight advantage by playing their home game last.

Sorry if it's been mentioned before. But we are playing in are away kit on Monday as home shorts clash with Wycombe's home shirt apparently. ?

It was fine in December so who knows what the issue is now.

Sorry if it's been mentioned before. But we are playing in are away kit on Monday as home shorts clash with Wycombe's home shirt apparently. [emoji848]
Why not just wear different colour shorts, as we've done that plenty of times before?

Although, as I really like the 'alternative' kit, I'd be happy with us wearing that.

I think it‘s a bit difficult to judge us on the games against Portsmouth. They were such tight, cagey games, nobody from either side really shone apart from Browne with is goal. Everyone seemed to cancel each other out. Key players like Henry were quiet, hopefully he’ll get his game going on Monday.

I agree about the performance, but it was the fitness, pace and general basics e.g. passing the ball that we lacked which concerned me.

We had so many players who didn’t perform anywhere near their capability, so we’d need those players to raise their games significantly to win or hope that Wycombe’s players don‘t turn up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom