+++ 13/07/20 L1 Play Off FINAL - OUFC v Wycombe+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where I saw it, but there was a stat this morning that apparently Oxford have made over 200 plays this season with 10+ passes, and Wycombe something like 12. Top and bottom of that statistic chart.

They're a very good, effective and efficient side that will cause us plenty of problems. Ainsworth has done a magnificent job and we all know they won't lack motivation.

Having said all that, if we play in the fashion that got us to third when the league stopped, we have plenty going for ourselves, too.

This stat from Opta was tweeted out the other day shows how stark the difference in styles is between the teams:

View attachment 4060

If we can repeat that style at Wembley and the back four can marshall their attacking threat, I think we have an exceptional chance to win.

But that's a big ask. We didn't see much of it in the semi-final games and we seemed rushed when in possession. Rustiness? Effectiveness of the opposition to nullify? Adapted tactics in the face of the opposition? Who knows, but to me it's imperative that we make every attempt to play our own style and impose it upon Wycombe. Any thought that we could get drawn in to a battle on their terms leaves me very nervous.

I think they have much more about them than Northampton, but watching how Northampton suffocated and bulldozed Exeter (a far superior passing side) in the League 2 final should serve as a reminder to us all that an expansive style is not guaranteed to win the day.

All that said, man-for-man I think we have the better players and I have total faith that their talent, experience and formidable spirit can overcome the opposition in front of us.

COYY!

@OxfordYankee included that stat earlier. Undoubtedly we are the football playing team, and this last week showed that we can compete with sides looking to hit the ball long, but no one can compete with us when we play to our strengths.

Going to be a nervous watch for the cardboard hordes, reams of goals for us, and our defence to keep the Wycombe score stationery at 0. A3 to 0 win hopefully, A4 to 0 would be greedy. A glorious promotion to help paper over the last 20 years. Just as long as it doesn't go to pens.
After Akinfenwa grabbed the ball to take a penalty for AFC Wimbledon in a play-off final when it wasn't him that won the penalty, I'd love it if somehow there is a penalty for them and he misses it. Obviously I'd prefer them not to have a penalty in the first place.

The leftback Jacobson is a proper wind-up merchant. He was getting under the skin of all the Fleetwood players around him. A bit of a Tom Daley wannabe too.
My Wycombe-supporting friend says he's a bit like Mousinho in that he's articulate and seems like a really nice bloke in interviews but is a wily wind-up merchant on the pitch.

Again I have no idea. ?

Nice expansive pitch, huge venue,no crowd, all a bit "odd".

Perfect world we use the ball well, play that exciting, slick football we get glimpses of and win it in 90 minutes.

Having a sports psychologist on board seems like a premeditated act of genius!
Genuine question. "Nice expansive pitch"?
I think there's an assumption that because Wembley stadium is huge so is the pitch. I vaguely remember something from a few years back that our pitch and Wembley are about the same size. Which could still be expansive!

PS I bet Karl has had the training pitch marked out to Wembley sized proportions this week.

So Wembley is apparently a little longer but a little narrower than the true home of football.

I can't be arsed to see the size of the Wycombe pitch but seeing as they only play on a narrow strip through the middle it really makes little difference!

I have no idea! I just want us to win.

Gutted we can't be there backing the lads. They deserve our support.

So Wembley is apparently a little longer but a little narrower than the true home of football.

I can't be arsed to see the size of the Wycombe pitch but seeing as they only play on a narrow strip through the middle it really makes little difference!

105 x 68 apparently, so Wembley much closer to our tastes than theirs.

Sorry if it's been mentioned before. But we are playing in are away kit on Monday as home shorts clash with Wycombe's home shirt apparently. ?

Last edited:
Not sure where I saw it, but there was a stat this morning that apparently Oxford have made over 200 plays this season with 10+ passes, and Wycombe something like 12. Top and bottom of that statistic chart.
This is something that worries me. Whilst it’s great that we play the ball around, a lot of the time those 10+ pass combos have about 9+ sideways and backwards passes and lack any kind of intensity or directness that Wycombe possess.

I hope I’m wrong and I am usually positive but I think the bookies have got the odds wrong. I’d unfortunately have Wycombe favourites.

Obviously if we take the hand brake off then that’s a different matter but our two play off semi matches have seen us benefit from a fair bit of luck.

Excellent!!

Yup, I'd also say Oxford's odds are shorter than they should be.

Very evenly balanced imo.

Sorry if it's been mentioned before. But we are playing in are away kit on Monday as home shorts clash with Wycombe's home shirt apparently. ?
I saw this too. But we are the "home team", it's OUFC v Wycombe?

I saw this too. But we are the "home team", it's OUFC v Wycombe?

Isn't that just because we are first in alphabetical order? Didn't realise there was a home and away team at Wembley? Obviously you can be given different changing rooms and sides of the ground.

I just hope we put in a performance we can all be proud of i hope we don’t perform like Exeter did against a long ball team in Northampton but whatever does happen we’ve had an amazing season one where memories will last a very long time
coyy

I just hope we put in a performance we can all be proud of i hope we don’t perform like Exeter did against a long ball team in Northampton but whatever does happen we’ve had an amazing season one where memories will last a very long time
coyy
The game I keep thinking of is the FA cup final between Liverpool and Wimbledon. I’m not being arrogant in thinking the perceived abilities of the two teams will be comparible but the styles of football possibly could. Maybe Liverpool were bullied a bit in that game but they also has some t**t called Aldridge miss a pen for them.. ?❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom