Ref Watch +++ 13/07/20 L1 Play Off FINAL - OUFC v Wycombe+++

Re-read the forums. The amount of posts about us in the championship. Everyone assumed the job was already done.
No. That's not fair. There was a thread about how we'd do in the championship IF we won. But in the other threads about the match very few people thought this was ours for the taking.

Gutted. Absolutely gutted. We will not have that chance of promotion again anytime soon. And with the financial state football will be in, an extra worry. A few thoughts

- when the playoffs started, Wycombe were always going to be the danger team. After such a break its a lot harder to drill lovely passing as opposed to hit it long/get it in the mixer. We got Wycombed in textbook fashion.
- Simon Eastwood- will never have a worse game than tonight. He looked nervy from the goal and that penalty was utter lunacy. Just punch the thing. On the other hand, Wycombes keeper was super competent. I like Eastie, but tonight was a horror show.
- James Henry. Jesus Christ. And not in a good way.
-Anthony Stewart- what a display.

Had been mentally preparing for this feeling all week but didn't think it would be as bad as this. To lose in that manner is beyond a travesty. Two of the softest goals you could hope to see (not to mention one offside, after the ball looked it had gone out) and some absolute sitters missed. That Henry chance is going to go down in infamy. What a ridiculous thing to do.

We weren't outplayed and we weren't second best. They kept us at arms length in the first half, granted, but never looked like scoring a second. Our football in the second half was so fluid at times and we blew them away, missing a number of big chances. To get back in the game, make a boatload of chances, not take them, and then to have them score from a boot upfield that their offside forward runs onto to win a pen is just hairwrenchingly frustrating.

I know we should probably play the gracious winners and hold our hands up and congratulate Wycombe, and to be fair they'd been having a great season (up until December), but we were the better team today in every department - they didn't create any chances and didn't defend well. They were time wasting from the first ten minutes.

We've thrown away promotion.
As I say we bottled it Moore f*****g ducked you want to see a duck go down the river ? Henry why don’t you f*****g go for goal w****r that was are chance arghhhhh

*Dons tin hat* Is Henry’s race run? Its all very well having technically ”pretty“ players but, as Wycombe have shown, the modern game is all about dynamism, pace and power. Can we say thats what the likes of Henry and even Taylor bring?

By the way, did Brannagans car break down on the way to Wembley? Im waiting for an explanation as to why he didnt show up..

Too busy telling everybody how good he is to actually bother to show it

As I say we bottled it Moore f*****g ducked you want to see a duck go down the river ? Henry why don’t you f*****g go for goal w****r that was are chance arghhhhh

Eastwood shouted to him to leave it. You trust your goalkeeper in them situations as he can see the full play. But Eastwood misjudged the speed of the ball. Same as he misjudged the corner. Sorry but he has to go. Archer was a better keeper and was the star against city and Newcastle. Not Eastwood.

*Dons tin hat* Is Henry’s race run? Its all very well having technically ”pretty“ players but, as Wycombe have shown, the modern game is all about dynamism, pace and power. Can we say thats what the likes of Henry and even Taylor bring?

By the way, did Brannagans car break down on the way to Wembley? Im waiting for an explanation as to why he didnt show up..

No need for the tin hat ad far as I'm concerned.

Taylor and Henry two of the three most disappointing players on the pitch for me. Ruffels will have nightmares watching that first goal back too, not that his performance was bad otherwise.

Simon Eastwood can go. Both goals his fault and he’s been poor this season. He shouted for Moore to duck out of that and then tried to blame him after - he was on his bike far too quickly for a notoriously flat footed and ‘stay at home’ keeper, and Moore hasn’t ducked out of a header all season. As soon as it bounced you knew he was clattering him and that was that.

And as for Marcus Browne - watch that moment before the penalty again when the dust settles. Their right back scuffs the ball back to the keeper and if Browne is paying attention he runs clean through. Instead he gives up, turns and starts berating somebody, and it’s the subsequent long ball clearance that goes over Moore. You know what happens next.

Thrown away needlessly and pointlessly.
Agree with all that.

Gutted. Absolutely gutted. We will not have that chance of promotion again anytime soon. And with the financial state football will be in, an extra worry. A few thoughts

- when the playoffs started, Wycombe were always going to be the danger team. After such a break its a lot harder to drill lovely passing as opposed to hit it long/get it in the mixer. We got Wycombed in textbook fashion.
- Simon Eastwood- will never have a worse game than tonight. He looked nervy from the goal and that penalty was utter lunacy. Just punch the thing. On the other hand, Wycombes keeper was super competent. I like Eastie, but tonight was a horror show.
- James Henry. Jesus Christ. And not in a good way.
-Anthony Stewart- what a display.

Well at least you enjoyed it.

What a time to lose
Now we will lose some of our best players.
Next season will be very hard with the likes of Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Barnsley and Charlton challenging.
i think next season will be harder unless we can keep Dickie and so many others.
I think Wycombe will go straight back down but good luck to them.
No doubt Ainsworth will be off to another club with a great CV in tow

I don't think we really got going at all after the enforced break. We played so much better earlier in the season. We didn't do enough to get the job done tonight. It could have been a whole different if Henry had just put his foot through the ball. Whatever was he thinking. As far as players go, I can see Dickie, Brannagan, Browne and Taylor (at least) not being here next season. Really disappointed. Well done to Wycombe though.

Back
Top Bottom