Ref Watch +++ 13/07/20 L1 Play Off FINAL - OUFC v Wycombe+++

Okay. I think we're being a bit too harsh on our guys. If we want someone or something to blame - blame Covid. Up until lockdown we were top of the form table 5 wins out of 5 and in 3rd place - we were flying! The problem is we had no practice games - we'd lost our momentum from before lockdown and were making silly mistakes.

Yes, you can say well it's the same for other team - but the style of football we play needs match practice so the players can 'gel'. Route one is a bit more just hit 'n hope. Henry for example would not have made those mistakes before lockdown. As previously said, if we can keep the likes of Dickie, Moore and Brannigan and bring in two or three additions then I am very hopeful about next season.

Don't blame our players. It's been a crazy season and it was just a lottery in the end. Covid on the other hand, can go and f**king do one!

We weren't good enough on the day.

Henry not shooting, Browne not closing down, Moore ducking out of it, Eastwood rush of blood. Yeah the Wycombe bloke was offside but we made enough individual mistakes to not win that game, and the team performance was disjointed throughout too.

Don't want any of our players hung out to dry though, they've given us a great season overall.

I said to myself 3/4 months ago that I'd take watching football in any form, let alone my beloved Oxford.

Already looking forward to going again next year ?

I think that's the thing that kills me the most. If Browne chases it down instead of appealing for a throw, he's in and the penalty never happens.

Eastwood- 4/10- cost us two goals in my book. A huge shame from such a good player.

Ruffs- 5/10- offered nothing offensively and got beaten at the back post for the opener

Dickie- 7/10- did his job

Moore- 7/10- did his job

Long- 6/10- fine but didn't do enough going forward

Gorrin- 6/10- again, unremarkable.

Brannagan- 6/10- fine, bu anonymous. So influential when we play well and didn't effect the game enough.

Sykes- 7/10- full of energy, effective going forward and defensively. Contributed noticeably.

Henry- 6/10- bad decision when through on goal. Did little to get hold of the game.

Browne- 6/10- occasionally lively but nothing much added.

Taylor- 5/10- not in the game.

So, it leads me to think the midfield- as they were against Portsmouth, were anonymous. KR made a good change at HT and changed shape. However our possession stats are misleading. We made next to nothing in terms of meaningful chances- and the % doesn't actually show how dominant we were.

As a caveat, I'm really happy to have gotten there and I believe we weren't meant to go up without all of us there.

We'll be back.

f**k Swindon.

Congratulations to Wycombe.... we were not any real threat and they did exactly what they needed to do.

Gutted... but it is what it is. We didn’t really create too many threats despite having plenty of possession.

They did a job on us, but s**t happens.... Far more serious issues in the world than football, so we move on.

i know I will wake up tomorrow and this will be the first thing I think of... but then I’ll shake it off and get on with the day.

Looking ahead to next season, the goal has got to be to make the top six again. Who knows what the landscape will be like, what the squad is gling to be like, who even the headcoach is going to be. But we have to regroup. Being on these boards the last few days, the camaraderie, the humour etc shows we have the best fans in the country, and we will always be here to support the club. We support Oxford United, we know theres always the chance it will be a f**k up but we're used to it and we still go to games full of excitement and expectation. If anything it makes us love the club even more! We’re Oxford UNITED ❤

Last edited:
Or, you could say it will be a really strong and entertaining league. Hard to see us getting up next year though
That was a nightmare result for Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey, and Peterborough, because we are more of a threat than what Wycombe would be.

Also the three coming down, and maybe a dark horse like Gillingham or Doncaster. Lge 1 will be very competitive next season. I look forward to it!

I agree- but at the same time I'm now desperate for the Championship. Two seasons in that league with the revenue and we can be the club we should be. Couldn't really care less about the competitiveness or entertainment in League 1.

Let's not beat around the bush- it's proper s**t compared to Championship footy. That's where I want to be as I'm sure you do.

Looking ahead to next season, the goal has got to be to make the top six again. Who knows what the landscape will be like, what the squad is gling to be like, who even the headcoach is going to be. But we have to regroup. Being on these boards the last few days, the camaraderie, the humour etc shows we have the best fans in the country, and we will always be here to support the club. We support Oxford United, we know theres always the chance it will be a f**k up but we're used to it and we still go to games full of excitement a d expectatio. If anything it makes us love the club even more! We’re Oxford UNITED ❤️
Yes this board has been great, lots of humour and keeping things in proportion even though taking it all totally seriously.

The players touted for moves to bigger and better things did not shine through this evening,maybe, just maybe, they may be with us for another season....
Bring on the Swindon.............!

Back
Top Bottom