Home Match Day Thread +++ 13/04/2019 OUFC v AFC Wimbledon Match Day Thread +++

I think you have to remember what AFC Wimbledon are, a club started at the beginning of this century by embittered ex fans of a club that still existed. To be fair to them that bitterness has driven them on to quite an achievement, to get up and survive for a season in league one (so far) from the combined counties league in such a short space of time is remarkable, they were not bankrolled a la Fleetwood so fair play to them for that. On the other hand they are a new club with sod all to do with the old one, even moving back to Wimbledon won’t change that, they behave as ruthlessly to anything in the way as Winkleman did to the Wimbledon that no longer exist, a successful (league one and a shiny new ground to come) but horrible bunch of C***s basically.

AFC fans on twitter getting very excited over this video:
Anyone know what it's about? Is that the kit man who ghosted him at the final whistle? They're making a meal of it but it does look a bit unseemly from our guy.
This guy is in either the directors box, or with their data analysis team up on the TV gantry. How tin pot are they when soeone in that position posts a tweet with language like that.

I thought Luke Garbutt had a good game yesterday and he’s certainly better out on the wing as proposed to being a Left Back

Thought he had an ok game and is better in that position, but not good enough. Puts in a lovely cross now and then, but doesn't offer much else.

Just concerns me that Karl keeps referencing him in the post match interviews as though he’s had a worldie

This guy is in either the directors box, or with their data analysis team up on the TV gantry. How tin pot are they when soeone in that position posts a tweet with language like that.

Not that I want to defend this post, but Karl was being a knob.

We played well, Wimbledon were dreadful (time wasting when you need to win? pathetic) - hopeful hoofing, diving and very little skill. The fastest some of their players moved was when they were going off when substituted! Their keeper (and some poor finishing) kept them in it - but on that showing they aren't anywhere near good enough for L1. How on earth did they have such a decent recent record?

On our side, I thought Skyes was excellent (although he faded a bit), Whyte scared then sh!tless and Dickie/Nelson were immense again. Kashi is better than Mousinho, and I REALLY hope the plan isn't to try to sign Kashi and then move Mousinho back into defence. Graham didn't look that interested (he is off - perhaps he ought to take a lesson from Nelson!) and making three subs at once jolted us out of rhythm for a while. Brannagan, though, was at the heart of the team.

Friday should be more entertaining, let's hope we've got our shooting boots on.

Just for balance, I didn’t actually see Robbo offer his hand so clearly some history throughout the game. I don’t have an issue with that but would prefer Robbo to just come out and say they were having some “afters” rather than saying the guy wouldn’t shake his hand and bleat on about a lack of professionalism.

And as for their fans being rubbish.. i thought it was a decent showing for them today and at times they were making a decent noise.

A very poor team though and had it not been for some decent saves and some poor finishing they would have been demolished. Possibly the worst team to visit this season.

Would be happy to see them go down.

I think it's just KR's way. He is obviously very passionate and cares deeply about integrity. I think his tendency to say things in interviews that perhaps he should keep to himself is just something we'll have to take comes with the package. If he continues to get results and builds on the squad in the summer I think it could be a very good season come this time next year.
I think that will depend more on Tiger, the board and how the club conducts itself rather than KR. As I've said elsewhere given all the off the field crap this season he has done a great job.... Although I do have an agenda against him apparently :)

Last edited:

Charlton have got some top players - two very good centre backs in Patrick Bauer and Naby Sarr
and quality midfielders in Kristian Bielik (on loan from Arsenal), Josh Cullen ( on loan from West Ham)
and the highly rated Joe Aribo.

Up front they are decent with Luke Taylor and Angolan striker Igor Vetokele.

Should be a cracking game with a big crowd.

Some fantastic football in those clips - Wimbledon cut to ribbons on so many occasions.

That confirms that the Lino and Ref would have had a clear view of the rugby tackle by the keeper on Curtis Nelson, so they haven't got that excuse for missing a bleeding obvious penalty.

We played well, Wimbledon were dreadful (time wasting when you need to win? pathetic) - hopeful hoofing, diving and very little skill. The fastest some of their players moved was when they were going off when substituted! Their keeper (and some poor finishing) kept them in it - but on that showing they aren't anywhere near good enough for L1. How on earth did they have such a decent recent record?

On our side, I thought Skyes was excellent (although he faded a bit), Whyte scared then sh!tless and Dickie/Nelson were immense again. Kashi is better than Mousinho, and I REALLY hope the plan isn't to try to sign Kashi and then move Mousinho back into defence. Graham didn't look that interested (he is off - perhaps he ought to take a lesson from Nelson!) and making three subs at once jolted us out of rhythm for a while. Brannagan, though, was at the heart of the team.

Robinson said something recently about Mous ‘not getting any younger’ so I’m not convinced we’ll see him as first choice in any position. I do wonder, with talk of Faz retiring, whether Mous will have more of a player-coaching role next season. It’s something that he says interests him and would possibly save on a wage if the budget is going to be tighter next season?

Agree with everything except moving Mous back into defence. He has proved on a number of occasions that he is a liability there. Not great in the air, ponderous on the ground and gets dragged out of position. Probably because instinctively he is a defensive midfielder where he does play well. I don't see him as anything other than cover for both positions.

Don't feel like you have to be restricted to just one vague sentence per post. You are absolutely welcome to expound upon your opinions with some clarifying points.
Sorry I will try harder in future to say a bit more! The caller I was referring to was called Tim,he started off very well but then slightly faded just like some players we have had!
I would say if we could get Kashi,find a good replacement for Nelson,get Baptiste fit we could have a good next season.

Agree with everything except moving Mous back into defence. He has proved on a number of occasions that he is a liability there. Not great in the air, ponderous on the ground and gets dragged out of position. Probably because instinctively he is a defensive midfielder where he does play well. I don't see him as anything other than cover for both positions.
I said that I hope Mous ISN'T moved back into defence.

That alone says how much better this squad is! Pep really did set us back.

Not disagreeing with the fact Pep's recruitment was a shambles, but I'd have been happy to have had Ricardinho and Thomas in the squad this season. Thomas was much more of a fox in the box than any of the other strikers we've had this season, and Ricardinho was poty last season and a joy to watch at this level.

Back
Top Bottom