5th Test 12-16 September 2019 The Oval

Yes, to level the series would be some small consolation at least. I wish the selectors had taken the chance to introduce a couple of new batsmen: Sibley and Northeast would have been interesting.

Yes, to level the series would be some small consolation at least. I wish the selectors had taken the chance to introduce a couple of new batsmen: Sibley and Northeast would have been interesting.
Does anybody watch Sibley and Northeast (and Crawley) enough to know whether they are likely to be able to cope against Cummins, Starc and Hazelwood?
I believe that Sibley is often out against spinners so is that a weakness Lyon would exploit?
I guess that the young players have to have a pretty good all round game technically and have an excellent temperament to have a chance?

The problem is, won't know about the likes of Sibley being good against pace or spin, without trying them. The likes of Cummins and Archer's pace is rarely seen on the country circuit, so it's hard to know what how they cope until they see it for real. You can see Burns has adjusted in the series, whereas Roy looks hopelessly stuck on the crease still.

The problem is, won't know about the likes of Sibley being good against pace or spin, without trying them. The likes of Cummins and Archer's pace is rarely seen on the country circuit, so it's hard to know what how they cope until they see it for real. You can see Burns has adjusted in the series, whereas Roy looks hopelessly stuck on the crease still.
I totally get that. But I guess that the selectors do see these players regularly. If for example Sibley struggles against average County spinners then you can understand them having some concerns about him playing Lyon.
Over the years the selectors have picked Trescothick, Strauss because they saw something in them ( they were not averaging 50 I believe)
I assume that the selectors will want to ensure that the players under consideration have few technical flaws that will be exposed by a very good Australian bowling attack (and have a very good temperament)

I assume that the selectors will want to ensure that the players under consideration have few technical flaws that will be exposed by a very good Australian bowling attack (and have a very good temperament)
I guess we'll never know unless the likes of Sibley, Northeast and Crawley are given the chance to face those bowlers.
It's one of the down sides of having a central contract system. You end up with players who are not good enough remaining in the frame for too long, whilst potentially successful new players spend too long waiting in the wings.

I guess we'll never know unless the likes of Sibley, Northeast and Crawley are given the chance to face those bowlers.
It's one of the down sides of having a central contract system. You end up with players who are not good enough remaining in the frame for too long, whilst potentially successful new players spend too long waiting in the wings.
old boys club ... always has been, cant see it changing anytime soon either, sadly

I’m surprised that Rory Burns is never mentioned as a potential captain. He’s captain of his county side so has the experience that Root has never had. Also the likes of Vaughan, Strauss and Cooke have shown in recent times that it’s not impossible for opening batsmen to cope with the added responsibility

Have we not thrown in 10 or so openers in the past few years and seen clearly that they are not good enough?
I am sure that some will be in the winter tours but those who are deemed technically proficient and able rather than averaging 50 odd in county cricket (and Denly averages more than all of them)

Have we not thrown in 10 or so openers in the past few years and seen clearly that they are not good enough?

Since 2014 we have tried:

Michael Carberry
Nick Compton
Sam Robson
Adam Lyth
Alex Hales
Haseeb Hameed
Keaton Jennings
Mark Stoneman
Rory Burns
Jason Roy

Plus experiments by pushing players up the order like Denly and others. It's been a bit of a shambles.

Almost every captain suffers a downturn in form once they take on the mantle - heavy hangs the crown I guess!

Unless you're wearing it as a fashionable pendant, the crown would be sitting on your head*. Maybe that's the Hampshire way?

* I learned that the correct quote isn't 'heavy sits the crown' at all - it's "Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown", from Shakespeare's play Henry IV, Part 2.

Australia win the toss and will bowl. Slightly surprising but shows how little they think of England's batting. If they get relatively unscathed through the morning and into the afternoon you'd be hoping for a big first innings score.

I suspect the Aussies would have batted if the Ashes depended on this game. Looks like we will get a full five days if the weather forecast is correct, so - looking at the batting frailties of both teams - there will very probably be a result.

Back
Top Bottom