Away Match Day Thread 12/12/2020 L1 - Blackpool v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good point away from home, against the in form team, and another clean sheet, suggesting the defence is starting to solidify, but beyond that, there aren't too many positives.

The negatives are obvious. We're not scoring, because our only striker is completely isolated on his own, against 2 centre backs, we have no naturally wide players/wingers getting behind the full backs and crossing the ball, and not enough creativity coming from midfield. Kelly has his moments, but goes missing a lot.

I've said it a number of times, in order to get the best out of these players, we need a change of system, and Robbo and Sykes need to kiss and make up, as I feel Sykes might benefit from a change of system.

My team for Tuesday would be:

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin
Forde Mcguane
Sykes
Henry Taylor
Taylor needs a strike partner to link up with, more service into his feet, and to be put through on goal more often, so get Henry playing off him, who can then have more goalscoring opportunities himself, with Sykes providing a creative link between midfield and attack.
It's got to be worth a try, as at the moment, although the defence is looking better, we simply don't look capable of scoring goals, and Robbo needs to show he's capable of recognising what isn't working, and making the relevant changes.

Great battling result at Blackpool , the win and performance against Wigan looks better every week as does the point at Pompey....Good base to move onwards and upwards.....supporting Oxford really isn't about smashing teams every season as much as I'm sure we would like it to be realistically over our history we are not that team.. maybe some people would be happier supporting Liverpool or Man City ?

Given his strike-to-goals rate, though, I didn't mind him having a go from there.
Agreed at least he had a shot. Do the players not realise you need to score goals to win a game our goal attempts as usual are shocking , two shots today maybe and one headed attempt.

I thought I made that clear. Ckare is at his best as an attacking right midfield/winger. He's not at his best tracking back or working when out of possession. At home when taking the game to the opposition then he's worth a gamble, away when you need to be more reserved, there are better option.
So do you not agree when I said the controversial bit is that he was signed as a first choice RB that has quite clearly failed and now can't get on the bench as a R mid/winger or anything else!!

A great point out of a poor performance. I found that hard to watch tbh, bar Long, Moore and Atkinson who were decent. Otherwise we looked very much second best all game. Hopefully we can move on and win another game soon.
Disagree. Great point deserved against the form team of the Division.
They hit the woodwork twice but the only decent save in the game was from the Mous header ( and maybe he should have scored?)

Pretty dire performance, we were lucky to get a point. I dont think kelly, mcguane and ruffels are good enough for a top half league one team. This formation robbo sticks with only works if you have pacy wingers / strikers and we dont have any of them at the mo.

On the back foot a lot of the time, almost lowest scorers in the league. Very different to last season. No buzz around this team.
Different to last season? of course we are, it’s not the same team with key, consistent players injured, sold or returned to parent clubs, but this team are trying to win, the coaching team are trying to win and although they may not get it right every game at the moment, they are setting up to not lose, keeping clean sheets and TRYING to score.
We had a stuttering, Covid affected start to the season but are now building a consistent and stable defensive unit that will provide a platform for more exciting, free flowing, attacking football as the season progresses.
Two examples; Look back at match stats for the Wigan and Gillingham games, far from boring.
We’re naturally impatient as football supporters, but like it or not, patience is key for us this season.

But we had Forde who was a better option at rb and could play anywhere across the middle. Clare gives us direct pace on the right, but not much more. At home I'd be more attacking and have him on the bench, away and I'm not sure we need him.
I know. It was a joke. Clare can't play right back.

It had nothing to do with stubbornness and everything to do with having no alternative. Long was playing centre back, Forde was playing centre mid and Hanson was injured. So KR stuck with him at right back for longer than he would have wanted.

Clare has played further up the pitch, and looked much better, but today wasn't a game for gung-ho attacking. I think we got the subs just about right today, and I'm that includes Clare.
I think Clare would have been a better sub to bring on than Agyei in the wide right position (with Shodipo coming on left).

Pretty dire performance, we were lucky to get a point. I dont think kelly, mcguane and ruffels are good enough for a top half league one team. This formation robbo sticks with only works if you have pacy wingers / strikers and we dont have any of them at the mo.

McGuane, in particular, has been excellent in recent weeks. Kelly has also looked much better in a more advanced role. Both are plenty good enough for this level.

Ruffels has been out of sorts since his injury but was an ever present last season in a team that narrowly missed out on promotion.

But otherwise I guess you're right!!

McGuane, in particular, has been excellent in recent weeks. Kelly has also looked much better in a more advanced role. Both are plenty good enough for this level.

Ruffels has been out of sorts since his injury but was an ever present last season in a team that narrowly missed out on promotion.

But otherwise I guess you're right!!
Kelly didn't do much today. He's the sort of player that maybe shouldn't be playing in away matches, rather than not even having Clare to come on with genuine pace in the second half.

I think Clare would have been a better sub to bring on than Agyei in the wide right position (with Shodipo coming on left).

I'm not sure Agyei did particularly well, and Clare may have been better but Agyei gives you an option to play upfront too and gives more balance to the bench.

And in answer to your second point, we brought on Shodipo, Agyei and Hall to try to win the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom