Away Match Day Thread +++ 12/11/2019 Crawley Town V OUFC Leasing.com football league trophy +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me realise how boring Shearer is on MOTD. The extent of his insight appears to be.. 'the lad smacked it, and it went in the top corner'....

I don't know, I quite enjoyed getting that insight into his browser history after the Liverpool match on MOTD2 ;)

Not complaining obviously, but for our third, I was under the impression that you could no longer concede a penalty and be given a red card? Double jeopardy rule?
Lovely play by Sykes before 4th. Zamouri seems unlucky not to have scored.

Skimmed this thread but glad people are getting to see the talent we have in the youth set up.

Nico Jones is a fine defender and good footballer. If he can learn off the likes of Mous and Dickie and contours his development with the 18/23’s we will have a very fine player on our hands.

Like wise Lopes and Sole.

Goodrham has really impressed me when I’ve watched him and obviously impressed Robinson on Saturday. He’s old school, will always look to best his man and can put in some very good balls into the danger areas. He’s also got a lot of fight in him for a youngster and is a very good team player. Certainly one for the future.
Goodrham came on ahead of Lofthouse. Lofthouse has played in this conpetition before I think?
Woupd you think that Goodrham is now ahead of Lofthouse in the pecking order or more just giving him a chance?

Just watched the extended highlights.

Some further thoughts based on those alone:

Further to Agyei, he was taking up some good positions and making good runs which reinforces my belief he just needs that 1st goal.. As evidenced by the other 2 efforts shown plus his positioning when others had shots. He reminds me of Jerome Sinclair before he got his 1st goal and appears to have a similar style of play.

Nice to see Berkoe having a positive impact.

On Zamouri, he is clearly technically very good but I get KR's comments after the game where he talked about his decision making and there were other players on the pitch. He isn't unique in this (Robbie Hall has his moments for instance) but there is a classic example when he shoots, whilst falling over (it was blocked on the line) but Agyei, Hall and Sam Long (iirc) were all in better positions with Mark Sykes running in as well.

Not complaining obviously, but for our third, I was under the impression that you could no longer concede a penalty and be given a red card? Double jeopardy rule?
I understood it so that if the defender is going for the ball he cant be sent off and give a penalty away.
If you tug the player back making no attempt to get the ball you can still be sent off.

You won't get a red card if making a genuine challenge for the ball which instead is a caution. The Crawley player made no genuine attempt at the ball hence he can and did get sent off.

Goodrham came on ahead of Lofthouse. Lofthouse has played in this conpetition before I think?
Woupd you think that Goodrham is now ahead of Lofthouse in the pecking order or more just giving him a chance?

I reckon Goodrham has pushed ahead partly because he is more versatile as I've seen him play spells on both sides and down the middle. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Lofthouse have a spell out on loan after Christmas.

You won't get a red card if making a genuine challenge for the ball which instead is a caution. The Crawley player made no genuine attempt at the ball hence he can and did get sent off.
As I mentioned in the Ref Watch post, I was sat right in front of it and was surprised at the red, only expected a yellow.

As I mentioned in the Ref Watch post, I was sat right in front of it and was surprised at the red, only expected a yellow.

I think as soon as the Ref gave the penalty, he had no choice but to send the player off under the rules as they are written.

Stevens was poor overall ? Distribution was kept simple and was good apart from one kick after bench shouted instruction to change and and kick to Longy on right flank, the goal was scrapping but he fully committed to first strike at goal which deflected off a player and he got up quickly, next shout was cleared off line and third attemp he smother saved the shot coming off his shoulder and span up and header came from it. Apart from that little to do so how you can say “oh dear poor overall !

Looking back on your past posts you seem to have a questionable agenda when it comes to young Stevens, whose is a still young keeper and had played only 4 first team games all of which we have won !

Here we go. Conspiracy theory from a newish poster.
A forum is full of different opinions. You've looked through my ptevious posts?? Are you a stalker?

I really think Sykes is a good player, others not so sure. Is there an agenda there?
Chill, smell the coffee and enjoy our success.

Pulled him back blatantly stopped a goal scoring chance, straight red if however he slid into get the ball and was blatantly late in the challenge straight red if however a genuine attempt to tackle and take the ball then a yellow.

Here we go. Conspiracy theory from a newish poster.
A forum is full of different opinions. You've looked through my ptevious posts?? Are you a stalker?

I really think Sykes is a good player, others not so sure. Is there an agenda there?
Chill, smell the coffee and enjoy our success.

No problem, game of opinions and respect yours.

Nope not a stalker but remembered something you posted before, just interested in how you came to your assumption last night watching game as I thought the lad did okay in what was a game of generally back passes to him, thought he communicated well with his defenders and with a bit more experience is not out of his depth at our level at all.

Apart from miss timing header with their goal thought young lad at left back played well yesterday compared to previous outings, looking comitted to tackles and looked up when passing for best options.

No problem, game of opinions and respect yours.

Nope not a stalker but remembered something you posted before, just interested in how you came to your assumption last night watching game as I thought the lad did okay in what was a game of generally back passes to him, thought he communicated well with his defenders and with a bit more experience is not out of his depth at our level at all.

Apart from miss timing header with their goal thought young lad at left back played well yesterday compared to previous outings, looking comitted to tackles and looked up when passing for best options.
Berkoe ?

I reckon Goodrham has pushed ahead partly because he is more versatile as I've seen him play spells on both sides and down the middle. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Lofthouse have a spell out on loan after Christmas.

Lofthouse is suffering from lack of games as he’s to old for the ‘18’s now and I believe he had an injury not to long back.

Would be good for his development to get some loan down in non league.

I just don't get the hype over Jones, having seen quite a bit of him. He's seen as a big prospect, maybe he will be, but at the moment, I just don't see the quality of player you could see so obviously in Joey or COD as youngsters.

I don't know - I remember COD's debut at Charlton. He looked like a random kid who'd wandered on to the pitch and been allowed to play. Was lightweight and ineffective (and we got drubbed 4-0).

He didn't really look like the top player he went on to be until the following season.

I don't know - I remember COD's debut at Charlton. He looked like a random kid who'd wandered on to the pitch and been allowed to play. Was lightweight and ineffective (and we got drubbed 4-0).

He didn't really look like the top player he went on to be until the following season.

Spot on. Likewise, from vague memories I didn't think Joey made that much impression on the 1st team until after he had a loan spell with Swansea. Very few young players instantly look a 1st team starter, whether Oxford or another club with the obvious example of one that did being Wayne Rooney.

In that same game Ryan Williams played his first game I believe and looked a far better player.
COD took some time to show how good he could be.
Jones on the other side at Shrewsbury on debut looked unbelievably composed and classy .
Comparing his position, Dunkley looked pretty average in his first season at an older age than Jones and he has become an accomplished Championship player.

Quite right. COD was 18 at the time of that game and it took him at least another season to fill out. He became a lot more physical as a result in the 2015–6 season.

Nico Jones is a year younger at 17 and a centre back too. How many teenage CBs do you tend to get playing first team football? Probably not many. It’s the most physical shoulder-to-shoulder position on the pitch and the fact that Jones is showing signs of competing at this level already is great. Young willowy wingers can certainly get away with it a bit more.

I’m excited to see further performances from him and the continued careful management from KR with him.

I thought that as well. But surely the ref wouldn't get it wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom