Home Match Day Thread +++ 12/10/2019 L1 OUFC v Doncaster Rovers +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever the answer and whatever decision is made it needs to be done pretty damn quick before those people you need to attend find/continue to find other things to do.Much depends on if the real aim is to build a community club that people can be part of,proud of and passionate about for years to come.
The alternative appears to be wait until reaching the championship fill the new shiny stadium with 15.000 (9.000 casuals) and at the first sign of a few bad results or relegation watch the majority walk away as they never had any connection with the club then what?.

Back in the Conference days the club had a real publicity campaign for the Aldershot match. The gate climbed up to 8400. Followed this with 11000 for Woking...…..dire performance. I am sure the support is out there.

I don’t think there is any particular issue offering discounted rates - but it needs to be fair, worthwhile & not compromise our sustainability,

Something like, season ticket rates for a match, if you return the next game also then you pay the same price. Maybe offering a gap of a game in every 3.
Undercutting season ticket prices is never going to happen, I doubt even for a single match.

Horseman, those run away at the first downturn in form fans are always going to be there. Converting as many as possible is the true goal I guess.

I don’t think there is any particular issue offering discounted rates - but it needs to be fair, worthwhile & not compromise our sustainability,

Something like, season ticket rates for a match, if you return the next game also then you pay the same price. Maybe offering a gap of a game in every 3.
Undercutting season ticket prices is never going to happen, I doubt even for a single match.

Horseman, those run away at the first downturn in form fans are always going to be there. Converting as many as possible is the true goal I guess.

yes you are correct but in the first scenario where you've got them onboard they can feel part of and have a passion for the club and become the next hardcore of fans and then it will only be a tiny minority that may be influenced by results.
in the latter case the extra fans are mainly there due to a perceived better standard of football/opposition and will have no qualms about walking away as they have no connection/feeling for the club.

I have no issues in targeting potential future fans, schools, colleges, universities, industries etc and offering tickets to games. But that is very different to the lazy idea of making tickets a quid and expecting people to flock in (especially when that would result in significant loses).

On previous threads going back a couple of years, I've suggested discounts for newly registered fans, loyalty rewards (go to 5 games and get the 6th free), bring a friend for a fiver etc. So I'm far from being against discounted offers, but they need to be thought out better than some of the options being posted.

“The lazy idea that would make significant losses?”

You mean like the one Notts County just made a success?

The only lazy people are the ones who dismiss ideas and can’t be bothered to listen to alternative projections whilst turning their assumptions into some sort of fact.

You have absolutely no idea that they’d make significant losses nor, would I hazard a guess, does your resume have too much marketing and market growth background.

probably mentioned already but bring a mate for free to a few games where attendance is likely to be lower.
fill the ground and create better noise/atmosphere and some maybe more enthused to return.
then if they become regulars and bring someone for free who knows???

(should all this be on the matchday thread?)

probably mentioned already but bring a mate for free to a few games where attendance is likely to be lower.
fill the ground and create better noise/atmosphere and some maybe more enthused to return.
then if they become regulars and bring someone for free who knows???

(should all this be on the matchday thread?)
Or to refine that idea slightly: what about season ticket holders get to bring a guest to one match free of charge?

Targeting one, or two, matches a season will always have the risk of watching a crap performance (as has happened), and that's very unlikely to convert many, if any.

The effort needs to go into providing some kind of incentive (plenty of possible examples have been given) to entice people through the gates throughout the season. That way some are bound to see a decent performance or two (or more) and that could be enough to make them regular attendees.

“The lazy idea that would make significant losses?”

You mean like the one Notts County just made a success?

The only lazy people are the ones who dismiss ideas and can’t be bothered to listen to alternative projections whilst turning their assumptions into some sort of fact.

You have absolutely no idea that they’d make significant losses nor, would I hazard a guess, does your resume have too much marketing and market growth background.

Strangly enough I'm not employed as the marketing guru of the club! But simple maths as I have shown would indicate that giving away a ticket that we sell for an average of £13 for £1 could lose money if you don't have these people returning. Other clubs gain from food and drink sales before and during the game, so any reduction in ticket price is offset against that. We do not have that luxury so talking of Notts County or others is missing the point.

Strangly enough I'm not employed as the marketing guru of the club! But simple maths as I have shown would indicate that giving away a ticket that we sell for an average of £13 for £1 could lose money if you don't have these people returning. Other clubs gain from food and drink sales before and during the game, so any reduction in ticket price is offset against that. We do not have that luxury so talking of Notts County or others is missing the point.

Surely we wouldn’t be giving it away, but selling something that isn’t selling for £1

Empty seat generates £0.

"Bring a mate for £5" generates £5.

500 x 0 = 0.
500 x £5 = £2,500.
1,000 x £5 = £5,000.

It ain`t complex.

Empty seat generates £0.

"Bring a mate for £5" generates £5.

500 x 0 = 0.
500 x £5 = £2,500.
1,000 x £5 = £5,000.

It ain`t complex.

You have to take into account regular fans without season tickets who would have gone anyway but now can come for £5 instead of £20.

1000 x 5 = £5000
- 200 x 20 = £4000
£5000 - £4000 = £1000

As an example

You have to take into account regular fans without season tickets who would have gone anyway but now can come for £5 instead of £20.

1000 x 5 = £5000
- 200 x 20 = £4000
£5000 - £4000 = £1000

As an example

Good point, use the database.......... "First Time Mates for £5" . ? (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom