Away Match Day Thread 12/09/20 L1 - Lincoln City v OUFC

May have already been mentioned, but as an aside, do you honestly think, after having to sit through a 6-0 hammering on his first day, that MApp was going to let anything like that happen again? I imagine, probably more than any other game, he would have studied our weaknesses, knew we were lacking pace and trickery, and set up to do exactly what they did.

Yes, we do need a way to beat teams like this, and can do a lot better, but we were up against a team and a manager with a real point to prove, and they did just that.

As I said earlier, season starts next week with Sunderland, with hopefully, a good lesson learned.

FWIW I don’t think KR in any way thought that was as good a performance as his radio interview suggested - albeit that is my personal interpretation.

His tone was not one of a manager who saw his team dominate a game and lose (I’d need to listen back, but I’m confident he didn’t sound that gloomy after the Blackpool away loss that we bossed last season for instance) - so I suspect there was an element of bullishness and an element of trying to shield his players.

There’s no way he didn’t recognise some of our deficiencies yesterday. They were glaringly obvious - and I can’t believe that even someone as routinely positive as KR could be blinded to them by ultimately meaningless possession stats. But it was game one of a long league campaign. We were dealt a bit of a rough hand losing Gorrin and then Ruffels (and now Atkinson too) - and by his own admission we are still a player or two short of the squad he wants as well.

Again, just my opinion. But I don’t think the interview he gave was totally reflective of how he actually saw the game...

FWIW I don’t think KR in any way thought that was as good a performance as his radio interview suggested - albeit that is my personal interpretation.

His tone was not one of a manager who saw his team dominate a game and lose (I’d need to listen back, but I’m confident he didn’t sound that gloomy after the Blackpool away loss that we bossed last season for instance) - so I suspect there was an element of bullishness and an element of trying to shield his players.

There’s no way he didn’t recognise some of our deficiencies yesterday. They were glaringly obvious - and I can’t believe that even someone as routinely positive as KR could be blinded to them by ultimately meaningless possession stats. But it was game one of a long league campaign. We were dealt a bit of a rough hand losing Gorrin and then Ruffels (and now Atkinson too) - and by his own admission we are still a player or two short of the squad he wants as well.

Again, just my opinion. But I don’t think the interview he gave was totally reflective of how he actually saw the game...

Did he not say he thought we played well, and couldn't criticise the team? Or along those lines.

Maybe but seem so
I think it was the uncontrolled foot in that people can see. A few inches or milliseconds either way and it might have been nasty.
rse and considering the ref wasn’t on top of the challenge maybe throw caution to the wind and do the correct thing and issue a 2nd yellow

Did he not say he thought we played well, and couldn't criticise the team? Or along those lines.

Something along those lines yes. My own view is that, as I said, that was a combination of post-match bullishness and an attempt to shield his players.

I can’t allow myself to believe he’ll genuinely trot back to the training ground and tell the players the same message.

There’s a wide variety of opinion on this forum - and I’ve not seen one person agree with KR’s interpretation of events on Radio Oxford yesterday. Most people, I feel, saw the same game I did - with clear deficiencies to be addressed and improved. I’d be astonished if KR didn’t see at least some of it too!

What I find 'astonishing' is that many of these 'issues' are are seen by everyone and highlighted in the playoffs but unfortunately nothing seems to change; hope that the penny has finally dropped.

We are in a strange window as things stand. It makes sense to have some leeway given the number of players without secure contracts who might be brought in to do a job. I’m comfortable with players signed to date; Windall, Clare, Cooper will hopefully all contribute. We have got space for further loans. The issue for me is can some of the younger ones step up and create more depth in the squad? Resolving the permanent status of Cam and Matty are serious building blocks for the squad to develop from.

They would have been told to do that. Keep them out wide because the xG from crosses is low so it'll be a %age thing.

They would have been told to do that. Keep them out wide because the xG from crosses is low so it'll be a %age thing.
If they have, then the lunatics (or at least the number crunchers) have taken over the asylum! I would be willing to bet that more goals are scored when a run isn't defended and a cross goes in than a run where it is defended and no cross goes in!

I'm not so sure, the ball will get played inside where the stats will probably show there's a greater chance of conceding. Also, allowing the oppo to have the ball is important for counter attacking. This is just my feeling though, @Shosho will probably be able to provide a stats based answer if there is one.

I think it was the uncontrolled foot in that people can see. A few inches or milliseconds either way and it might have been nasty.

He didn’t touch the player, but should have been a 2nd yellow. The good thing is, we can appeal the straight red so hopefully only a one game ban!!

He didn’t touch the player, but should have been a 2nd yellow. The good thing is, we can appeal the straight red so hopefully only a one game ban!!
If it is successful is a one damage ban and would that be the Watford game

Back
Top Bottom