Away Match Day Thread 12/09/20 L1 - Lincoln City v OUFC

Which beyond a certain point stops being luck and starts to look like a flaw in the design.

Peterborough lost their first game for the second season running. Blackpool lost. Portsmouth and Sunderland drew. All of them against mid to lower table opposition.

Seems to be a flaw in the design of every team that likes to 'play' in this division.

Winnall not had a competitive pre-season and you'd think would be some 2-3 weeks off as a minimum....Hall not in our best 18.
Hall is interesting. All the noise coming from Robinson on Hall is that he is in great shape etc. This can't be true though if he can't get in the squad.

Having looked again at the highlights I’m wondering if we did miss Gorrin too much and perhaps Mous would have been a better replacement than Kelly, who could have done more damage further up the pitch to break down and find passes to get passed and through their defences

disappointing but it’s only one game.
don’t think the bottom two will be anywhere near there by the end of this season.
this is the same team that some were having orgasms about a few days ago. KR knows where we need to strengthen, keep the faith

Exactly, managers know how we are going to play before the whistle is blown.
Atm, we have a bang average squad, after an ok window, players with something to prove.
Kr need to cut the cat and mouse antics with fans, and get in the targets they obviously know about. We're not promotion form currently, and all this talk of waiting weeks before the next signing is nonsense. You cant wait until 5 weeks into the season to finalise your best 11. Equally to go from the likes of Mous a couple of years ago, along side a Nelson or Dickie, to the present inexperienced pairing and pretend we're fine is nonense. We need an experienced CB, pace on the wings and defensive cover
Long is never a first choice as was shown today and in preseason.
This is not a sprint but a marathon, and nothing was lost at the final whistle. KR though needs more urgency in getting the complete squad together, changing the way we play and not going in the Oxmail on Monday and talking publicly about his transfer business.

“You cant wait until 5 weeks into the season to finalise your best 11“

Genuine question, do you seriously think KR would be waiting to get the best targets available at the end of the window if it was possible to get them before? In case you hadn’t noticed, there is a pandemic on and finance is more critical than ever. He is going to get the best deal possible and that may mean we have to wait until later in the window to get targets that become available at the best price - they may not currently be available.

Have a look at the establishment who set the dates for transfer windows if you’re not happy about having to wait until 5 weeks in to get who you want into the club.

Without going overboard - we are certainly going to have to find a way of playing to combat a packed defence. since Wycombe, Wimbledon and yesterday we have not shown that we have figured it out yet and more and more teams will do it against us.

looking at it this morning I’m not sure we should be massively surprised.
Our best defender left the club and a young inexperienced CB replaced him and so we’re going to be a bit disjointed. I’m sure he’ll come good.
I’ll probably be attacked for saying it but both Long and Ruffles are at best just about okay. Just my opinion but we’ve had better in recent times.
The midfield is lacking that cutting edge a player(s) like White, Browne or Fosu that can open up these defences. Someone with pace or someone that can drive at them. Atkinson went past more players than our midfield. But hopefully KR has that in hand.
Also STILL our dead ball delivery and play is threatless
All in all I agreed with KR in his interview. If you think about how well we kept the ball, built possession and if we can just solve the final 3rd we’ll do okay.

Our best defender left the club and a young inexperienced CB replaced him and so we’re going to be a bit disjointed. I’m sure he’ll come good.

Also worth us remembering if not for the unfortunate loss of Moore's father they would have had a lot more game time together pre-season to start forming a partnership, they are now almost having to do that on the job, as it were.

“You cant wait until 5 weeks into the season to finalise your best 11“

Genuine question, do you seriously think KR would be waiting to get the best targets available at the end of the window if it was possible to get them before? In case you hadn’t noticed, there is a pandemic on and finance is more critical than ever. He is going to get the best deal possible and that may mean we have to wait until later in the window to get targets that become available at the best price - they may not currently be available.

Have a look at the establishment who set the dates for transfer windows if you’re not happy about having to wait until 5 weeks in to get who you want into the club.

Kr has said himself, there's a fair way before the window closes, so we may have to wait a while until we bring in the next one. To me, he's prepared to wait until deadline day to get the last one in. Not ideal, and to wait for a few more weeks to finalise your best 11, if it can be brought forward, especially as the usual injuries have come early, seems far more logical.

Kr has said himself, there's a fair way before the window closes, so we may have to wait a while until we bring in the next one. To me, he's prepared to wait until deadline day to get the last one in. Not ideal, and to wait for a few more weeks to finalise your best 11, if it can be brought forward, especially as the usual injuries have come early, seems far more logical.

Yes, we can get any old LB and LW into the club in 48 hours. They'll be fairly average though, and you'll moan because we brought in someone that wasn't good enough.

You want the cream of the crop, top line LW? Whether it's a loan from a Premier League academy, or a decent money proven signing from the Championship? Be patient, it'll take some time to beat the competition and get them in.

Nothing to see here in terms of our season going forward. It’s a defeat, big deal. We have recruited really well and there will be the odd patchy performance as new players bed in. There’s a valid argument that a fit Gorrin, a fully firing Clare, maybe Mous at last seasons performance level, a new winger and perhaps even Winnall slip in to our strongest starting eleven.

Any defeat is disappointing but we’ve dominated possession and forced some great saves from their keeper against an uncompromising side who have started the season very strongly . I’d be more concerned with a 2-0 defeat at Accrington, a 0-0 draw at home to Shrewsbury or scrambling a late point at home to Rovers.

No need for an inquest, we will be riding high soon and will be right up there come May - or whenever the season is due to end.

So much doom and gloom on this thread. It’s one Lge game for gods sake. There’s another 45 to go. I’m certainly not going to throw my toys out of the pram. Look even Peterborough lost yesterday to Accrington. It happens! Let’s just look forward to the next game. It’s not a sprint it’s a marathon. Get a grip people.

I somehow was expecting a poor performance and was not surprised at the result, at times our possession passing game doesn’t produce sufficient pressure or goal attempts .this isn’t having a go at the manager or the players , it’s been my concerns for a long time that plan b seems to be lacking in our armoury

Peterborough lost their first game for the second season running. Blackpool lost. Portsmouth and Sunderland drew. All of them against mid to lower table opposition.

Seems to be a flaw in the design of every team that likes to 'play' in this division.
We had slow starts in both 18/19 and 19/20 in terms of points on the board. Last season we had 9 from 9; the season before it was something like 5 from 9. We then drew two and lost one of the playoffs games after restart in terms of 90/120 minute results, and have now started this season with a draw in 90 minutes against Wimbledon in the league cup and a 2-0 defeat to Lincoln. I don’t think a reserve game against a PL academy team can provide much in the way of fair and meaningful data, be it for us or any other team.

If every team that likes to ‘play’ can point to this level of consistency over multiple seasons then fair enough, but at present it looks like we are particularly good at being poor starters. Hopefully yesterday acts as a kick up the bum and we start clobbering a couple of sides in the coming weeks. It’s a funny old game, especially nowadays.

One way to beat a packed defence is to do what their guy did when Atkinson fouled him, run at them as well as get behind them. I dont thing being exposed for live coverage of the playoffs did us any favours. Lincoln did a Wycombe on us as quite a few more will try.

I’m surprised that KR said it was a good performance as a number of key players didn’t really turn up.

Concerned about our defence, no real experience there. The 2nd goal was embarrassing. Not sure whether Mousinho needs to be in there somewhere or guiding the back four. Both goals gifted.

It’s early days, but we need to iron out that defence and get some creativity in the midfield, just didn’t really work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom