Home Match Day Thread 12/02/2022 L1: OUFC v Bolton Wanderers

I'd also agree with every word of Brahma's and Colin's posts. A pleasure to watch these performances. A million miles from Ian Atkins and his 'grindingness'.

I do have an issue though with the loan system and mid-season recall options. I don't think Thorniley was an absolute top drawer talent, but losing him when we did was very unfortunate and contributed to the defensive issues. Similarly we were at risk of losing Kane until the board stepped in. I don't like to see key positions in the central spine of the team dependent on potentially half season loanees as first choices. Have loanees as wide midfielders and wingers by all means, or as backups in the spine, and their loss half way would have less impact.

I'd also agree with every word of Brahma's and Colin's posts. A pleasure to watch these performances. A million miles from Ian Atkins and his 'grindingness'.

I do have an issue though with the loan system and mid-season recall options. I don't think Thorniley was an absolute top drawer talent, but losing him when we did was very unfortunate and contributed to the defensive issues. Similarly we were at risk of losing Kane until the board stepped in. I don't like to see key positions in the central spine of the team dependent on potentially half season loanees as first choices. Have loanees as wide midfielders and wingers by all means, or as backups in the spine, and their loss half way would have less impact.
agree with the loanees and loan system point .... if a loan is for a season, that's what the length of the loan should be- no damn recalls halfway through, not when the EFL insist on capping Squad numbers for over 21 year olds in L1 and L2

only exceptions for a recall on a season long loan contract should be perhaps if the loanee suffered a serious injury, putting them out of action for a lengthy period?

So, did Thorniley get recalled because Blankpool needed defensive cover or was it cause we wouldn’t play ball with Brannagan?

So, did Thorniley get recalled because Blankpool needed defensive cover or was it cause we wouldn’t play ball with Brannagan?

He started his first game back for them away at Fulham, if he had been languishing in the reserves or on the bench
then yea, sour grapes, but fair enough he has been playing.

It's the former, he's started 3 out of 4 games and came on in the other. The people who think it's Blackpool being petty are generally very precious and get upset easily, I think most now see it was genuine even if the timing was suspicious.

The radio phone-in was embarrassing.

Whining about Stevens and criticising him and Eastwood as being the problem. The problem is the ever changing defence, new partnerships and mistakes prior to the ball heading towards our net. Never felt so angry listening to a phone-in and disappointed that the presenters were encouraging/debating the point instead of cutting the plonker off the line.

We also had the old age debate about winning ugly. Seriously? Oxford fans, for 40 years have demanded a style of football. We have been witnessing that attack minded style for some significant time. As a result, you let goals in. We all know the uproar if we got Talbot or Atkins back in charge or managers of a similar style, winning ugly 1-0 won't wash for very long.

We have a great philosophy and it's Robinson's philosophy that mirrors what the fans like to see. If we fall short, then I have thoroughly enjoyed how we approach games, the value for money, the goals, the entertainment. We're a bit like West Ham fans, who expect similar.

Robinson isn't exempt from criticism and I'd like to have seen us shore up central midfield but that said, you then sacrifice the players we all demanded to be signed or kept - Cam and Kane. We can't have everything.

We have a young kid in defence who is making a few mistakes but he looks a great prospect. We have a young GK with a great future who is miles better than Eastwood, coming back from a serious illness. We have signed a Championship striker and added a sensible mid-term Championship winger in Browne (not a great short term one) but one to replace the players who will depart at the end of their loan spells.

If we manage play-offs, which I think we will, then that's another good season. Next season will be harder again (this season is harder than last), with the likes of Derby and Reading likely to fall. I would have liked us to spend the Browne money on a quality CDM but we didn't. Having found out we have a year extension on Moore, the need for a CB wasn't that important.

We're having a superb season, we've lost a couple of games again but I've been very happy with what the side have done this season.
I don’t think it has to be an either or scenario e.g. attacking or defensive football only. It has to be both, we attack as a team we defend as a team, but with players doing their primary roles which I feel on a lot of occasions Seddon fails to do. If this gets addressed then I think we’re capable of playing the attacking attractive football that most fans like to see, but at the same time reduce the risk of leaking too many goals.

I haven't been for a few years, when did the singing stop? Absolutely silent, apart from the Bolton fans and a half hearted 'yellows' when we got a corner. I think second half with the team losing impetus some support might have geed them up.

I haven't been for a few years, when did the singing stop? Absolutely silent, apart from the Bolton fans and a half hearted 'yellows' when we got a corner. I think second half with the team losing impetus some support might have geed them up.
When the ultras left

Back
Top Bottom