General 11 years ago today 16/5/21

The gap between the second semi final and the final was 13 days - it was an excruciating wait. A mate and I went to watch Northampton v Bury on the Saturday between the two fixtures as a means of keeping the nerves at bay. We bumped into Chris Wilder at the game (there to support Alan Knill who was Bury manager at the time). He was calm as you like about the game albeit a bit weird.

What a day though. It’s easy to forget the game kicked off at 5pm as well. The whole day seemed to go on and on and on. The game seemed to take even longer. That Michael Rankine miss in the second half 😨.

I never knew it rained until years after when someone mentioned it, yet I have pretty decent memories of the match despite being a combination of very drunk, very nervous/ecstatic for about 2/3 days, one of the best experiences of my life.

From memory it was sunny in the morning in Oxfordshire as I can remember the convoy on the m40 of cars with oufc scarfs flying and the numerous coaches. I think it rained just before kick off and I got a feeling it stopped by the time we left the stadium for the drive home.

Yes mine too. The emotion finally getting back to where we needed to be was quite overwhelming and the way the goal was scored,time just stood still until Alfie buried it.

I was 15 at the time and suffering badly with depression. I think my family were all surprised when reclusive, moody teenager me asked to go to the game with them. Pretty sure we arrived at Wembley by like 10am and were waiting around outside for several hours which did my nerves no favours. Dropped a nearly full drink on the floor when the first goal went in. When the third went in it was like a huge weight was lifted - not just on OUFC but on life. For the first time in months I was genuinely, truly full of happiness and that feeling lasted for weeks in what was the darkest period of my personal life.

I had attempted suicide 3 times in the 6 months before the final. It didn't happen again after. That game didn't just save OUFC - it may well have saved me too.

Sorry to get so heavy on a Monday morning, that win means more to me than any other OUFC game.

That day was amazing I still struggle to watch the game back it just brings so
Much emotion and happiness I get goosebumps all over hopefully we can do it all again I don’t it will feel the same but hopefully

I was 15 at the time and suffering badly with depression. I think my family were all surprised when reclusive, moody teenager me asked to go to the game with them. Pretty sure we arrived at Wembley by like 10am and were waiting around outside for several hours which did my nerves no favours. Dropped a nearly full drink on the floor when the first goal went in. When the third went in it was like a huge weight was lifted - not just on OUFC but on life. For the first time in months I was genuinely, truly full of happiness and that feeling lasted for weeks in what was the darkest period of my personal life.

I had attempted suicide 3 times in the 6 months before the final. It didn't happen again after. That game didn't just save OUFC - it may well have saved me too.

Sorry to get so heavy on a Monday morning, that win means more to me than any other OUFC game.
That’s deep man gosh I got goosebumps reading that I’m happy for you that that day has so many positives fair play

Sometimes we all just need a moment to turn a corner.
Sometimes we don`t realise what a moment can mean to others.

Glad you found your moment. (y)

I’m glad you decided to go. Massive day for you.

I rearranged my wedding that was scheduled for the same weekend as that game.
11 years on and my wife still regularly reminds me about it.🙄
I missed the Wycombe promotion game cos I was on honeymoon, I didn't dare suggest rearranging it. It was fine though, I felt I'd been there for every other home game and the work was done.

‘It’s just a game’ they say. They would be right but from time to time, it can mean so much more.

Glad that it’s been the turning point for you, chap, and has kept that black dog at bay ever since.

The best day of my life supporting the mighty yellows
Agreed.

Although I was there for both the 95/96 and 2014/2015 promotion seasons, and the milk cup was (Sod’s law) one season before I started going regularly, after soooo many years of hurt, the promotion back into the football league was my most amazing moment as in Oxford United fan.

I still get it up on YouTube to this day, just to reminisce!

My liver might well have recovered by now.
What a weekend.
Barely noticed it was raining!!
As a fan `86 edges it..... first Wembley trip & all that, but for reigniting the Club & that "moment" then the play off final is on a par.
Oxford United are back in the football league!
Wish I could have not noticed it was not raining. The still slightly shiny reasonably new Wembley roof had a leak right over my seat.

Although I was there for both the 95/96 and 2014/2015 promotion seasons
2015/16, squire.

We have a very weird relationship with seasons that end in 5/6.

85/86: League Cup triumph
95/96: Promotion to second tier
05/06: Relegation to the Conference
15/16: Promotion to third tier

25/26 should be interesting.

Agreed.

Although I was there for both the 95/96 and 2014/2015 promotion seasons, and the milk cup was (Sod’s law) one season before I started going regularly, after soooo many years of hurt, the promotion back into the football league was my most amazing moment as in Oxford United fan.

I still get it up on YouTube to this day, just to reminisce!
That goal has a similar effect on me too, I thought it was the play-off final not a semi 👏👍

Back
Top Bottom