General 11 years ago today 16/5/21

The best day of my life supporting the mighty yellows

This and the home game against Wycombe that sealed promotion to league 1 are the best memories of my 20 years properly following the yellows.

I did, the years have somewhat rotted my memory but I don't recall there being a 'single moment' to compare with that 3rd goal vs York...
An OUFC Captain raising a major domestic trophy?

Not actually as important as the Play-Off win for the club but by Jove far more impressive for the club's history.

Not as glorious as the Milk Cup Final though - did you not go? :p

My mate's old man ran the London Marathon before that and got in towards the end of the 1st half. He had a major cramp attack in the 2nd half which was a bit of a b****r when we scored and he hung on until the end before seeking some medical assistance. :)

The SCENES when we scored were awesome. Albeit the best SCENES I experienced (older and in the cheaper seats I think helped here) at the old Wembley was when Gazza scored vs Scotland and the following crowd surges across the whole of the bucket seats. The celebrating/crowd surges started with the Seaman penalty save and didn't stop until a couple of minutes after Gazza's goal.

Last edited:
Such a brilliant day out. We began drinking at about half 8, but somehow the nerves sobered me up by kick off and we could start again at full time.

My liver might well have recovered by now.
What a weekend.
Barely noticed it was raining!!
As a fan `86 edges it..... first Wembley trip & all that, but for reigniting the Club & that "moment" then the play off final is on a par.
Oxford United are back in the football league!

Not as glorious as the Milk Cup Final though - did you not go? :p

Was born in 88 so unfortunately not. Went to a few games as a kid at the Manor in the late 90s but then started really going frequently when we moved to the kassam in 2001. You could say I've never known the club in as such a good position on and off the field as we are now.

While the Milk Cup was obviously the bigger achievement, I don't think the importance of that win can be underestimated, it saved the football club, you only have to look at our opponents that day to see how different it could have been.

My liver might well have recovered by now.
What a weekend.
Barely noticed it was raining!!
As a fan `86 edges it..... first Wembley trip & all that, but for reigniting the Club & that "moment" then the play off final is on a par.
Oxford United are back in the football league!

I never knew it rained until years after when someone mentioned it, yet I have pretty decent memories of the match despite being a combination of very drunk, very nervous/ecstatic for about 2/3 days, one of the best experiences of my life.

The Milk Cup final will always be one of my most special memories, went with my dad as a 7 year old and it was my first ever professional football game, it’s a memory I will cherish till I die.

Don’t really see the point in comparing them, they are were so far apart and most of us were in such different places in our lives that they really are incomparable, but you are allowed to have more than one happy day, so is a football club and even with a lower league football fans mentality of doom and gloom I say they were equal and let’s hope there are a few more to come before we all shuffle off to wherever we are all going.

Was born in 88 so unfortunately not. Went to a few games as a kid at the Manor in the late 90s but then started really going frequently when we moved to the kassam in 2001. You could say I've never known the club in as such a good position on and off the field as we are now.
Same for me wasn’t born until
91 so the first memory I have of watching us at Wembley was 2010 I started that day hung over from night before on the way to the priory I was still drunk so I said to my old man I will have Coke but as we got closer to the pub the atmosphere took over and the rest they say is history 😁 great day tho hopefully we can have a new memory from this year

Back
Top Bottom