Home Match Day Thread 11/9/2021 L1: OUFC V Wycombe Wanderers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't watch our whole season last year. I know every fan has a cognitive bias towards emphasising/highlighting decisions against their own team, but last year it happened again and again and again, particularly at the start of the season. The Oxford United fan pundit on Quest - George Elek - even acknowledged it multiple times throughout the season. Never seen anything like it. We actually did far better overall than most fans expected

I'm sure you'll say that's Karma for our PPG promotion though

Continuing to ignore the point that you 'couldn't afford' to finish the season but were happy to take your place in the play-offs? Couple that with the Ainsworth style shithousery on the pitch it is all so very 'Wycombe esq'.

I for one, am glad we don't conduct ourselves in the same manner. For all of KR's faults, he works in a way that represents our Football Club in a very positive light.

No one likes them, or him, and I wouldn't be surprised
We were talking about this on Saturday - I think he's been linked with a few jobs but seems to know his limitations. For all our complaints about Robinson's inflexibility, Ainsworth has Plan A and if that doesn't work, it's Plan A on steroids. Sure, he's increased his budget and there are better players in place but at Wycombe he's built a club in his image and would anyone else really give him time to do that? I don't go with the 'anti-football' criticism, it's an alternative way of playing and as long as you enjoy some sort of relative success, most fans will support you. That's not to say it's particularly entertaining to the neutral or opposing fans.

We were talking about this on Saturday - I think he's been linked with a few jobs but seems to know his limitations. For all our complaints about Robinson's inflexibility, Ainsworth has Plan A and if that doesn't work, it's Plan A on steroids. Sure, he's increased his budget and there are better players in place but at Wycombe he's built a club in his image and would anyone else really give him time to do that? I don't go with the 'anti-football' criticism, it's an alternative way of playing and as long as you enjoy some sort of relative success, most fans will support you. That's not to say it's particularly entertaining to the neutral or opposing fans.
We were talking about that too, he's like Graham Westley - only successful with one club. He seems a more decent bloke but I really object to Wycombe's style, not so much the long balls as the sneaky violence, play acting, and time wasting.

Ainsworth has demonstrated he's a very good manager. He has had, up until the Championship riches, a pathetic budget which mirrors the true level of Wycombe as a football club. With that in mind, he has done a remarkable job. He has been linked to QPR as well as Millwall and clubs are looking at him. He'll be afforded a very different budget and remit when he moves on.

He has set his side out, to get points. He has done that consistently. As for our fans not accepting that kind of football, well they wouldn't, a) because our budget would be very different or has been to that of WWFC and b) the majority would if we were winning.............that Atkins analogy on the previous page demonstrates that.

I'd have Karl Robinson every second of every day over Ainsworth though. He's just a cuter version and more polite version of Steve Evans.

Ainsworth has demonstrated he's a very good manager. He has had, up until the Championship riches, a pathetic budget which mirrors the true level of Wycombe as a football club. With that in mind, he has done a remarkable job. He has been linked to QPR as well as Millwall and clubs are looking at him. He'll be afforded a very different budget and remit when he moves on.

He has set his side out, to get points. He has done that consistently. As for our fans not accepting that kind of football, well they wouldn't, a) because our budget would be very different or has been to that of WWFC and b) the majority would if we were winning.............that Atkins analogy on the previous page demonstrates that.

I'd have Karl Robinson every second of every day over Ainsworth though. He's just a cuter version and more polite version of Steve Evans.

I'm not sure his budget pre Championship was as bad as he pleaded in it seemed every interview he did. The best I remember being him complaining they had to buy 2nd hand GPS units for the players whereas the opponent had new ones which were slightly smaller. A pathetic budget would have meant not being able to afford the GPS units. I certainly don't remember John Coleman at Accrington blaming a smaller budget on a regular basis.

No doubt Ainsworth is a good manager at this level though but likewise his football is horrible to watch.

I'm not sure his budget pre Championship was as bad as he pleaded in it seemed every interview he did. The best I remember being him complaining they had to buy 2nd hand GPS units for the players whereas the opponent had new ones which were slightly smaller. A pathetic budget would have meant not being able to afford the GPS units. I certainly don't remember John Coleman at Accrington blaming a smaller budget on a regular basis.

No doubt Ainsworth is a good manager at this level though but likewise his football is horrible to watch.
Im sure they beat us to that full back Jack Grimmer who had Browne in his pocket in the playoff final. I don't really believe all the poverty stuff, certainly not compared to Accrington

There budget can’t be that bad with all those championship quality players lol

You didn't watch our whole season last year. I know every fan has a cognitive bias towards emphasising/highlighting decisions against their own team, but last year it happened again and again and again, particularly at the start of the season. The Oxford United fan pundit on Quest - George Elek - even acknowledged it multiple times throughout the season. Never seen anything like it. We actually did far better overall than most fans expected

Nothing worse than stonewall decisions going against you is there, like the penalty the other day for example, could have cost us the three points.

There budget can’t be that bad with all those championship quality players lol
Well they did earn I think 8 million for being in the championship m, not sure what parachute payment(s) they have though, but I think they would struggle financially bid they didn’t go back up this season.

Say right next to the segregation and despite a lot of weirdos thought Wycombe made a bit of noise at least, heard absolutely nothing from the East stand, not sure what we can do to get back to the atmosphere we had in the Appleton promotion season as since then it’s nosedived imo
Like our attendance has fluctuated over the years, I wonder if it is also the case with the atmosphere? Of course the manor had a better atmosphere than the Kassam, but has the atmosphere fluctuated between better and worse in the last 20 years?

You would have only had a chance to stay up if two rather than one club had points deducted . Football wise you deserved to be relegated comfortably.

The thing about Wycombe supporters is that if they go to games that is what they see every week - they get used to it and think it is the norm. So when they get a couple of players who *can* play it about, it must look to them like they have radically changed and become less 'wycombe-y'. To everyone else (who doesn't watch that every week) it's very much the same old same old, because we've seen other teams play us in the meantime!

So would all of us but at the minute it ain't happening for what ever reason. That's KR's job to find the solution.
Yes and no. Don’t think anyone can accused the team of creating no chances so there is an argument to say the horse is here at the water… what next? We’ve looked exceptional going forward at times and other days less so but we will always attack, which I love.

The players have to take some responsibility and all our recognised strikers have, in my opinion, been way off the pace we would expect. The ball comes forward with quality on a regular basis and we have players all over the park who can see a run. So are they making the runs? Is it lack of sharpness? Confidence? Laziness? KR could maybe diagnose that but one of our strikers has got to puff their chest out and take responsibility for giving their everything to get on the end of things. There’s 20/25 goals for a striker in this team with the right attitude.

I think the ‘Wycombe don’t have any money’ stopped being true when the American owner came on board. They then became comparatively quite a well off club but use the ‘woe is me’ attitude as it helps them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom