Home Match Day Thread +++ 11/8/18 OUFC v Fleetwood Town Official Match Thread ***

Although it was a very poor performance yesterday and a bit worrying it is early days.
Not worth being too pessimistic yet.

COYY

From our perspective up in the south stand it was depressing to see Hall completely lacking any pace or effectiveness, the full backs have no pace at all and were left for dead in sprints. Mackie, invisible (bar his missed header) midfield struggling but making an effort.
Holmes, the one real outstanding player, loads of effort, movement and good ball play, shame about his shooting. Smith, looked so much better today but lacked supply. Shearer in goal is just not going to work. No idea why he is on the bench or plays ahead of Stevens. His slow movement, poor distribution and lack of command of his area should see him pensioned off. Sorry but that's my opinion.

What was really galling were the cheating tactics of Fleetwood and the complete lack of control by the officials. If you see it happening, are told it's happening and it continues, then it is surely duty to call them to order. The attempt to get Garbutt sent off was disgraceful.

Evans showed what he is good at, using any means to get an advantage. And, he got away with it.

You have to play what is in front of you though so KR should have set the team up differently in the second half. That's when the subs should have used.

From our perspective up in the south stand it was depressing to see Hall completely lacking any pace or effectiveness, the full backs have no pace at all and were left for dead in sprints. Mackie, invisible (bar his missed header) midfield struggling but making an effort.
Holmes, the one real outstanding player, loads of effort, movement and good ball play, shame about his shooting. Smith, looked so much better today but lacked supply. Shearer in goal is just not going to work. No idea why he is on the bench or plays ahead of Stevens. His slow movement, poor distribution and lack of command of his area should see him pensioned off. Sorry but that's my opinion.

What was really galling were the cheating tactics of Fleetwood and the complete lack of control by the officials. If you see it happening, are told it's happening and it continues, then it is surely duty to call them to order. The attempt to get Garbutt sent off was disgraceful.

Evans showed what he is good at, using any means to get an advantage. And, he got away with it.

You have to play what is in front of you though so KR should have set the team up differently in the second half. That's when the subs should have used.

Totally agree.
How Mackie was on the pitch beyond 30 minutes amazing. We were playing with 10 men whilst he was on.

We have absolutely no depth to the squad beyond the first say 13 or 14 players. Nobody who can come it and change it.

On the positive side. A team with Holmes, Curruthers and a fit Hall. With if he’s as good as they say Hanson and Brannigan sounds very promising.

My thoughts from yesterday.
1.Shearer looked slow, not only off his line but getting down to make a save. Stevens has to start ahead of him if Eastwood is out.
2. The full backs lacked any attacking ability, particularly McMahon
3. We were over run in cm. We lacked a leader in there. Hopefully the new guy from Derby will fulfil that role
4. The chap from Reading looked decent but should have scored.
5. Holmes looks decent but goes down easily
6. Mackie will be a good player for us
7. Fleetwoods number 22 was a knob
8. We deserved nothing from the game
9. Not an enjoyable afternoon.

My thoughts from yesterday.
1.Shearer looked slow, not only off his line but getting down to make a save. Stevens has to start ahead of him if Eastwood is out.
2. The full backs lacked any attacking ability, particularly McMahon
3. We were over run in cm. We lacked a leader in there. Hopefully the new guy from Derby will fulfil that role
4. The chap from Reading looked decent but should have scored.
5. Holmes looks decent but goes down easily
6. Mackie will be a good player for us
7. Fleetwoods number 22 was a knob
8. We deserved nothing from the game
9. Not an enjoyable afternoon.

I hope you are right about 6 but there is little evidence from the first two games. Re 7, what does that make their number 11 then?

Ched Evans clearly fouled McMahon to run into the box unmarked. It should never have been given.
If we had a half decent goalkeeper, the second goal would never have happened.
If Mackie had scored his sitter we might have got something from the game.
We are only 3 points off 10th place.

Still rubbish though.

Ched Evans clearly fouled McMahon to run into the box unmarked. It should never have been given.

Still rubbish though.

Yep, definitely a foul on McMahon for their first. Certainly a game of what ifs

Still rubbish though.
How did the ref miss it? And how come 0 players contested it?

Thought Sherlock should have had a penalty but when he didn’t get it ,seem to go to ground too easily. Ref was poor yet again and Fleetwood typical grind out a result team, both of which we never cope with, we never appear street wise when it comes to playing ugly and just get something from the game.

The foul on McMahon summed up the officials performance. They missed so much of the little things that both sides were doing, but the worst offenders were Fleetwood because they rightly worked out that the Ref was struggling. I can't blame them for pushing the boundaries, something we do far too little of.

For the short term, we have to play Mackie or Hall, not both. Neither are fit and it's costing the team in terms of shape and style of play. I hope for the next few games we are more defensively organised and not so persistently open on the counter attack. We're not hard enough to play against at the moment.

Still fuming after watching that load of s**t. Like most of the crowd i was bored, could easily have left with 20 minutes to go and regretted that I didn’t sitting in that traffic afterwards.

McMahon looked slow and Garbutts body language suggested he didn’t give a toss. How many times did he let a cross come into our box by not getting tight and closing down, its basic stuff. Mackie can NOT play in that position, I’d much prefer to see him at front and make a nuisance of himself. What also struck me is how few CM we have. If Ruffels gets put at left back we only really have Hanson, Branagan & possibly Mous if his legs can take it. Noticed that Browne dropped in there so maybe he’s the answer.

Really felt for Holmes, the ref gave him absolutely nothing and he must be wondering what he’s let himself in for. There’s no doubt that we’ve got the best players we’ve had at the club for years but they are playing as individuals rather than as a team. That’s KR’s job to sort which I’m sure he will but in the mean time it’s all a bit painful and frustrating to watch.

Still fuming after watching that load of s**t. Like most of the crowd i was bored, could easily have left with 20 minutes to go and regretted that I didn’t sitting in that traffic afterwards.

McMahon looked slow and Garbutts body language suggested he didn’t give a toss. How many times did he let a cross come into our box by not getting tight and closing down, its basic stuff. Mackie can NOT play in that position, I’d much prefer to see him at front and make a nuisance of himself. What also struck me is how few CM we have. If Ruffels gets put at left back we only really have Hanson, Branagan & possibly Mous if his legs can take it. Noticed that Browne dropped in there so maybe he’s the answer.

Really felt for Holmes, the ref gave him absolutely nothing and he must be wondering what he’s let himself in for. There’s no doubt that we’ve got the best players we’ve had at the club for years but they are playing as individuals rather than as a team. That’s KR’s job to sort which I’m sure he will but in the mean time it’s all a bit painful and frustrating to watch.
I agree that we’re light in midfield but perhaps Henry can play in that role. He’s certainly got the skill and control just needs to add a bit of nastiness in winning the ball back but I think he would have done better than either Ruffels or Brannagan

The over reaction on here is staggering. Yes it’s clear there are plenty of problems with the team, but we are only a couple of games in to the season.

12 months ago I was amongst the most vocal about how dire the team and manager were even before the season kicked off. We had an owner who was only interested in getting out, a manager who clearly didn’t have a clue and a squad consisting of mediocre to totally aged shite. We now have an owner who clearly wants in, a Manager who frankly saved us from relegation last season and a squad which is mainly full of potential.

Being realistic not every new player will turn out to be what we expected. Garbutt & Mackie are clearly off the pace. Very few, if any, teams will hit the ground running when they’ve been forced to change the majority of their squad. Almost everything about our club has changed in the last 12 months, I can’t think of too many other clubs where that applies.

Fleetwood were no better than us yesterday. It was a clear foul by Evans for their first goal and we were unlucky to be forced in to a keeper change which led to the second goal.

The biggest frustration at the moment is the lack of effort on the pitch by everyone except Holmes. That is much harder to explain.

Come on people though, be realistic. We were unlikely to be much further ahead when everything’s taken into consideration. There is plenty of work to do and probably more painful performances ahead before things get better, but it will get better.

Agree with all of that. I don’t expect anything from Pompey. I think they with Barnsley will be top two this season. I do however expect something from the Accrington and Burton games.

Hanson hopefully will be the piece of the jigsaw when put in, will make the team become one........................... looks like he's gonna have to be captain if all ive heard is true.

Back
Top Bottom