Home Match Day Thread +++ 11/1/2020 OUFC V Rotherham United L1 +++

Played for both the U’s and the Millers includes Johnny Mullins, Joe Skarz, Paul McLaren, Brian Wilsterman, Wes Thomas,
Danny Hylton, Chris Maguire, Phil Gilchrist, Nigel Jemson and Will Hoskins:

D6wl5M2W0AEZyKt

This game really does matter , they are a very good footballing side , to get a win would be massive but a draw is no shame and move on to the next big game. So 1-1 for me , is a result.

What with the clubs revolving door still spinning, it will be interesting to see who Karl decides to select for tomorrow’s crunch game.
We have looked a little leggy just recently, but the players have had a full week to rest and recover from a very successful Christmas period, and with that, I think that the side will be largely unchanged barring injuries so Pretty much ‘as you were’ with some new faces on the bench.

Cam Brans knee injury is a worry, he is the catalyst to our midfield dominance and ultimately winning games, so how we manage his ongoing workload and who covers him in his potential absence will be pivotal going forward.
Again, we face a Rotherham side who will not just roll over. They have some decent players. However, man for man, we are a yard sharper and a shade better than them. Add to that the way we move the ball and I see only a positive result tomorrow. 2-1 yellows. Taylor & Fosu.

Been taking a look at the information on WhoScored and watched a tiny bit of footage to try and work out what sort of game we can expect.

Form
Rotherham have won their last three L1 games, and have 11 points from their last 6 games. That equals Coventry, and is 1 more than Oxford.
They have 23 points from 12 away games. Only Ipswich (23) have more.
They played Hull City in the FA Cup on Saturday, losing 3-2. They played over an hour with 10 men.

Style of play
They are the second highest scorers in L1 with 42 (Oxford 41). No side has scored more goals away from home.
They have the ninth best defensive record in L1, conceding 25 (Oxford 22).
They are formidable from set pieces, scoring 18. The next highest is Wycombe, on 11. They've also benefitted from more own goals than anyone else.
They cross more than any team in the division. They do not make many short passes (we do). We run with the ball more.
They favour shots in the box more than any other team in the division. They slightly favour attacks down the wings, relative to other teams, but not really significant.
We are similar in getting to play the bulk of a game away from our own defensive third. Neither concede many shots, both take plenty.

Highlights
I watched the YouTube short highlights from three recent games.

Blackpool (h) - won 2-1:
Scored from a corner and direct from a free kick. Conceded from a corner taken short. Gave up a good chance on the counter.

Peterborough (h) - won 4-0:
Scored three from corners (one own goal and one from a second delivery on the opposite flank), one from a direct pass-and-run in open play. Both teams had a man sent off - Posh man was defending a counter attack.

Shrewsbury (a) - won 2 -1:
Scored two from corners, conceded when Shrewsbury played a long free kick out wide and crossed into the box. Gave up another near miss on the counter. Nearly scored from a throw in/low cross.

Summary
Wow do they score from corners. Six in three games. A fun fact is that OUFC themselves have only scored five goals from corners since 1955.
What's interesting is that many of them aren't 'direct' (ie a cross and a header). They are good at winning a second ball or creating chaos in the box following initial contact. I'm not much of a tactician but I'd suggest we try and do what we do best - keep the ball, play short passes that they can't match, limit their opportunities because the set pieces absolutely will cause us problems.
I would love to see Browne/Fosu left up when defending corners to exploit opportunities on the counter. Play long passes to them to avoid Rotherham winning the second ball near our goal.
I'd consider playing Moore.

Been taking a look at the information on WhoScored and watched a tiny bit of footage to try and work out what sort of game we can expect.

Form
Rotherham have won their last three L1 games, and have 11 points from their last 6 games. That equals Coventry, and is 1 more than Oxford.
They played Hull City in the FA Cup on Saturday, losing 3-2. They played over an hour with 10 men.

Style of play
They are the second highest scorers in L1 with 42 (Oxford 41). No side has scored more goals away from home.
They are formidable from set pieces, scoring 18. The next highest is Wycombe, on 11. They've also benefitted from more own goals than anyone else.
They cross more than any team in the division. They do not make many short passes (we do). We run with the ball more.
They favour shots in the box more than any other team in the division. They slightly favour attacks down the wings, relative to other teams, but not really significant.
We are similar in getting to play the bulk of a game away from our own defensive third. Neither concede many shots, both take plenty.

Highlights

Blackpool (h) - won 2-1:
Scored from a corner and direct from a free kick. Conceded from a corner taken short. Gave up a good chance on the counter.

Scored three from corners (one own goal and one from a second delivery on the opposite flank), one from a direct pass-and-run in open play. Both teams had a man sent off - Posh man was defending a counter attack.

Scored two from corners, conceded when Shrewsbury played a long free kick out wide and crossed into the box. Gave up another near miss on the counter. Nearly scored from a throw in/low cross.

Summary
Wow do they score from corners. Six in three games. A fun fact is that OUFC themselves have only scored five goals from corners since 1955.
What's interesting is that many of them aren't 'direct' (ie a cross and a header). They are good at winning a second ball or creating chaos in the box following initial contact. I'm not much of a tactician but I'd suggest we try and do what we do best - keep the ball, play short passes that they can't match, limit their opportunities because the set pieces absolutely will cause us problems.
I would love to see Browne/Fosu left up when defending corners to exploit opportunities on the counter. Play long passes to them to avoid Rotherham winning the second ball near our goal.
Great work , l would hope KR as this covered.... OR if not reads this....??Lol

A fun fact is that OUFC themselves have only scored five goals from corners since 1955.

Surely that is nonsense? Under Jim Smith we scored loads from corners (Brock , flick on from Biggins and lots of scorers)
Matt Elliott scored loads from corners.
Or am I being whooshed?

• React
Reactions: UTM
nice summary there @RgYellows.
hope Eastwood is up for this after his absence, sounds like he's going to be tested.
our home record has been brilliant and we're due some goals so reckon a tough game with us just edging it - 3-2 with goals from Taylor, Long (proving he deserves his place) and a late winner from substitute Browne on his homecoming

My streak came to an end when we drew. Think v shrewsbury. Lets see if we can get the run going again so ill predict a 1-0 defeat [emoji6]

I can see Fosu getting a goal to try to cement a place with the stiff competition coming his way. Also, Taylor, despite his penalty, has quite been on it so think he's due one too. And finally, why not one from Browne or Holland if either get a run out? Think we might concede to break the incredible run of clean sheets but we'll still win 3-1.

I think Mr Rg Yellows , as got that bit from the grey side of life about 1955... But otherwise great report....

Form

Style of play

Highlights

Blackpool (h) - won 2-1:

Summary
More of this kind of post on the forum, great stuff. Should be an intriguing matchup.

Rotherham’s team last week v Hull in the FA Cup.

Adam Thompson is suspended today and Carlton Morris was recalled by Norwich.

Injuries keep Joe Mattock, Billy Jones and Clark Robertson on the sidelines. New signing Hakeeb Adelakun
should be in the squad but has rarely played this season.

Back
Top Bottom