Away Match Day Thread +++ 11/02/20 Burton Albion v OUFC +++

What have we learnt?

We’re not an awful team, and when we play our game and have energy and movement, we are very good indeed at this level.

Long and Holland not quite good enough at the moment.

There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for Dan Agyei not being brought on in games. And it’s criminal, from a purely footballing perspective, if Mackie starts ahead of him.
True that. I would add Eastwood to the list of liabilities

oh dear......never take a player off when theres a corner :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ........we were lucky to get a point tbh

What have we learnt?

We’re not an awful team, and when we play our game and have energy and movement, we are very good indeed at this level.

Long and Holland not quite good enough at the moment.

There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for Dan Agyei not being brought on in games. And it’s criminal, from a purely footballing perspective, if Mackie starts ahead of him.
apart from the board ripping the heart of the first team with no players bought in as replacements, and the board showing no ambition?
Just think. Brannagan could have had a longer recovery or we could have given Kelly more time, rested Gorrin with Baptiste still around.

Holland could be a 20 minute end of the match player coming on for Fosu...

We're left dealing with what we've got.

Weird game but one we should of won. Their second goal whilst a good finish was easily preventable and all they offered second half. But for all our huff and puff we create hardly b*gger all these days. So frustrating but I dont think we will make top 6. Hope I'm wrong.

Watched it on I-follow, a much better second half performance brought us a decent point. Personally, I have really enjoyed the season, but I think the great cup performances have overshadowed our inconsistency in the league. First 7 games 5 points, next 15 produce 34 points, last 7 another 6 points. Certainly not automatic promotion form, probably still a chance to get into the play offs. 15 games to go, 9 at home, who knows what might happen.

Man of the match: The fans who made the trip to Burton

Credit where it’s due - we showed some bottle in that second half. At times there was genuine quality - unfortunately for long periods we were still slack and careless.

BUT - digging deep to fight back and grab an equaliser against an organised team who don’t ship many goals on two occasions took a lot of heart and courage. Thought Brannagan, Mousinho, Henry, Dickie and evening Taylor (who had a bad night but never stopped running or trying - and was rewarded at the death) carried some of our under performers through that. Long, Holland, Sykes, Kelly, Eastwood did not have great nights...

I’d have taken a point at the start of the evening. Losing after that abysmal first half (and P’boro game) could’ve been a season-killer. As is we live to fight another day. Does Sunderland become ‘must win’ if we have any genuine play-off promotion ambition?

Meh.

On the one hand - some good passages of play second half, and good resilience to come back from a goal down twice.
Brannagan was the best he's been since his injury in the last hour, Dickie and Gorrin were excellent as usual, Taylor was lively at times, some signs of life from Henry.

On the other hand - Burton were absolute bobbins, and the only good thing you could say about them is that they work hard and are well organised.
Both of the goals we conceded were horrendous. What the hell Eastwood though he was doing with his goal kick for the first, I don't know. Long should have done much, much better covering what was a fairly straightforward long ball for the second.

The positive spin is that, after Saturday, we've got some very winnable matches coming up. So if the likes of Brannagan, Taylor and Henry continue to get back into form and fitness, then we've still got a chance of the playoffs. But we have to start playing better regularly, otherwise this season is just going to peter out.

If Mackie had come on and done that, how many fans would have said it wasn't good enough? Kinniburgh's point was salient but from what it seems, too nuanced for some.

Tonight showed why we realistically aren't a top six side. Not enough depth, too many players injured or unfit within what is available... we chose to set fire to our momentum and decided we had enough in the bank to stick, finish nice and comfortably mid table and not have to worry until the summer. Burton are no great shakes - real promotion contenders win that match tonight. Simple as that.

Good to see Karl ducking out of praising Agyei again just now. Nathan mentioning Agyei and Taylor getting the goals being a nice bonus and Robinson choosing to focus solely on Taylor's goal and then moving on. Well done again, Karl, you sulky little child.

Watched it on I-follow, a much better second half performance brought us a decent point. Personally, I have really enjoyed the season, but I think the great cup performances have overshadowed our inconsistency in the league. First 7 games 5 points, next 15 produce 34 points, last 7 another 6 points. Certainly not automatic promotion form, probably still a chance to get into the play offs. 15 games to go, 9 at home, who knows what might happen.

Man of the match: The fans who made the trip to Burton
9 wins from 15 games, plus a couple of draws will get us to 74 pts which should be enough. Doesnt sound too difficult, does it..? ??

Burton were awful. Decent 2nd half from us, good to see brannagan getting back to his old self. We gifted them both goals with two schoolboy errors. It is ridiculous how many goals we gift the opposition. We look like a mid table team and that is where we will probably finish.

If Mackie had come on and done that, how many fans would have said it wasn't good enough? Kinniburgh's point was salient but from what it seems, too nuanced for some.
It is refreshing listening to Kinninburgh. Some sensible comments

Tonight showed why we realistically aren't a top six side. Not enough depth, too many players injured or unfit within what is available... we chose to set fire to our momentum and decided we had enough in the bank to stick, finish nice and comfortably mid table and not have to worry until the summer. Burton are no great shakes - real promotion contenders win that match tonight. Simple as that.

Good to see Karl ducking out of praising Agyei again just now. Nathan mentioning Agyei and Taylor getting the goals being a nice bonus and Robinson choosing to focus solely on Taylor's goal and then moving on. Well done again, Karl, you sulky little child.

What has the lad done.

Great point, fought back well in difficult conditions.

Any news on Kelly and Browns injury?

But he didn't, did he, and he never does. You might as well go "Yeah, but if I won the lottery then I'd be a lottery winner, wouldn't I?"

Agyei has scored the same number of goals in under 100 L1 minutes that Mackie has scored in nearly 1500. I don't want to hear it.

But he didn't, did he, and he never does. You might as well go "Yeah, but if I won the lottery then I'd be a lottery winner, wouldn't I?"

Agyei has scored the same number of goals in under 100 L1 minutes that Mackie has scored in nearly 1500. I don't want to hear it.
Thanks for proving the point ?

Back
Top Bottom