Matches 10/10/2021 Mickey Lewis memorial game

Not only was Mickey a top pro footballer he was also very much involved in grassroots football.
It was nice to see his Stonesfield youth team represented today and also Oxford University where he did lots of coaching.
I refereed lots of Mickey's midweek afternoon college games at Oxford City as well as watching him play at OUFC in the 90s.
He was the same age as me and his sudden passing made me reflect on life quite a bit this year.
I have to confess to having cried throughout the afternoon, especially when his young son came on to score a goal at the end.
Well played Mickey Lewis.

It was nice to see his Stonesfield youth team represented today and also Oxford University where he did lots of coaching.
Yep! I thought that was a lovely touch. The younger Stonesfield teams were next to my father and I in the east stand, and they were chatting about him. The Lewis family must be so proud that his legacy, has spanned, many a generation.

I wasn't able to get a programme, but as we sponsored a certain Mr "Oooh Johnny Lager" I'd be grateful if some kind person could post an image of that page?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Wilder summed it up perfectly. It was a bitter sweet afternoon.

A fantastic turn out of fans and former players. Wonderful weather and an emotional but lovely day. Absolute respect to young Zach for showing the bravery to go out there and play. My lad was there was all his Stonesfield team mates and said Zach got a little upset before he went on as he was nervous. So he showed real guts to go out there and play. He also looks like a good little player. All the Stonesfield players were meant to take a penalty at half time but I think the groundsman took one look at how many of them there were and said no chance! :LOL:

As for the players, Alfie and Sam Deering both looked half decent. Chapman shows some nice touches and Les Robbo looked as committed as ever. The man only knows one way to play when he's on a football pitch! :)

It was a special day. Well done to all those involved in organising it.

Thanks @Scotchegg and @bazzer9461 :)

Bang goes my anonymity, feel free to drop in any time!
I was late in posting it, I had read your request and though ah ha I can do that. But there was I lounging on my recliner wearing my lounge pants trying to get the best picture I could but the light kept on shining on it at the wrong angle, eventually I got it but as per the dice was to big to post and had to keep resizing it and trying it to post it. Whoopee I managed it post it and damn that @Scotchegg beat me to it, that dastardly chap.

As for the players, Alfie and Sam Deering both looked half decent. Chapman shows some nice touches and Les Robbo looked as committed as ever. The man only knows one way to play when he's on a football pitch! :)
you could definitely tell the players that are still playing (at whatever level)

you could definitely tell the players that are still playing (at whatever level)
Absolutely. Not sure what Jake Wright's up to these days but he looks as fit as a butchers dog.

I enjoyed yesterday afternoon. Really good to be relaxed about a football match at the kassam!!
Nice to see some old faces. Amazing to see the contrast in fitness levels and condition of guys who are roughly the same age. Bash looked very fit for a nearly 44 year old.
It was a nice gesture to get young Zak involved. And when he got that first goal every one of the University boys raced over to congratulate him, even the keeper who ran the whole length of the pitch to do so. Zak certainly strikes a ball really well for a lad his age.

• React
Reactions: GRB
I spoke to one of the organisers of the game last night. Apparently FK let the ground be used completely free of charge and was very accommodating towards the event. Even for a charity game that slightly surprised me.

Maybe he is softening.............. stranger things have happened.

Back
Top Bottom