Home Match Day Thread +++ 10/08/2019 L1: OUFC v Peterborough FC +++

Great game but have to say crap attendance come on boys ,lets get behind the lads.COYYS.

Hugely impressive performance from the whole team today.
If that is the kind of football that the team is going to serve up this season, then Count me in.
The first half was a lesson in aggressive, attacking football and superb movement and possession.
As a fan, that was just about as good a first half I have seen from us in a very long time. Peterborough are no mugs, they will be right bang up there at the end of the season but on that performance today, we could be on to something too.
Normally, I would pick one or two players for special mention, but today, that would only detract from the efforts of a team.
A team doing the business collectively.
Well done everyone.

A deserved win that, 2nd half performance didn't quite match the first, but you can see we'll be a hard team to play against. You can see the talent Woodburn has, but where he lacks the game time nous - that will come. It was quite a miss from him too. Dickie looked immense today, dealt a sly cheat well and worked really hard. Mous did well too, all of the back 4 dealt with some rather eccentric dives and refereeing well.

What does Ivan Toney do other than jump into players, roll around the floor looking for free kicks and wave/gob off at the ref? The one he left on Dickie at a corner deserved a booking - it's not ok for annoyed strikers to do that. He must be a fan of the Fall, because he does that a lot too. Cheating little sod. Glad we got them early but ironically, for a team who did their business early in the large part, they looked disjointed and under prepared.

As for the Ref, a good start, but he and the linos got progressively worse. He would have sent Brannagan off in that game, but let off other players for the same. He's not got any better.

Thought Gorrin was superb. Him and Dickie were the two best players on the pitch. Can’t see Dickie being here beyond January, I think Cardiff took the wrong centre back.

A game of two halves. Played Posh off the park in the first half.

Second half. Showed real grit and determination. Managed the game brilliantly. Something we've lack so far in this League.

Can't pick a MOTM. All played their part but to me difficult to separate Mackie, Dickie, Brannagan and Cadden.

Shame Woodburn didn't get his goal. Still finding his feet but will be a big player for us IMO. Good on the ball, showed a fair amount of grit also.

That was a very enjoyable game I think we have a very good team at the moment once we get a goal scorer we will be definitely be in with a shout for promotion

A more mobile focal point in the attack and a bit of pace breaking forward from the supporting three and that’s now looking like a really decently balanced side. Hopefully Agyei provides one of those things. With a bit more pace against their defence I think we would’ve won comfortably.

Gorrin was excellent today. The way he drops in and lets the centre backs carry the ball out with confidence is really important. Fosu is so far looking like being one of the best players in the league in first halves, and one of the most ineffective in the seconds. But that first half from him today much like at Sunderland was really excellent. Dickie looks much more comfortable on the right, Cadden offers a lot of energy down the right, Brannagan seems to be able to push forward an extra five or ten yards with Gorrin sitting in... just get that pace going forward injected and there’s a decent side there. And a proper bench filled with actual competitive first team players! Haven’t seen that for a flipping long time.

Four points out of these two opening fixtures, when IMO we were robbed of all three at Sunderland, is excellent. With one or two more players to come in and still plenty of room for growth, at the very least it’s looking a hell of a lot better than last season’s eternal relegation battle. I didn’t see anything from either P’boro or Sunderland this past week - two of the promotion favourites, apparently - to make me think they’re remotely special.

See you at the seaside.

Excellent first half, shame we took our foot off the pedal second half as this allowed them back on to the game.

Thought it was a shame Brannagan was taken off as we seemed to lose our midfield a bit. Gorrin played okay, but does give the ball away a bit in odd positions. Personally I don’t think he’s at Kashi’s level, but I do like him. Cadden needs to work on that final ball, but again I like him. Really want Woodburn to come good and think he will, but again he makes poor decisions at time e.g. turning into a player, but you can see he’s technically good and will improve when he’s up to match fitness.

Also, shame Fosu isn’t capable of giving more than 45mins, but I guess he’s given another 15mins this week. Also, holds on to the ball too long at times.

Still think Ruffels is a weak link, but he does what it says on the tin I guess! Another player who was good in places, but poor in others was Henry, but at least he showed determination in getting back, competition for places I guess.

Dickie was man of the match again, followed closely by Brannagan (if he’d stayed on the pitch)

EBnr1vhXoAEflgh

Very good performance, first half great one touch football and very good pressing of the ball. Second half very resiliant. When did Dickie turn into Virgil van Dyke? To be fair lots of very good performances. 25/1 to win the league doesn't look too bad now. COYY

Back
Top Bottom