Home Match Day Thread +++ 09/09/2018 OUFC v Coventry City match day thread +++

The result today makes me question Robinson's decision to play the likes off Holmes on Tuesday looked knackered after 65 minutes, Its a risk that didn't pay off and he's a game changer who needs to be nurtured.

Well Home from game and skimmed tho the game on tv, too many players had bad games
We don’t battle, Baptiste aside that is, we were so slow going forward, they closed us down very quickly, often putting 2 or 3 on Holmes and Browne at times. We weren’t close enough to them which game them space something we didn’t get, awful performance really, but misses change game and how Nelson failed to connect with that header is beyond me, we didn’t work their goalie enough, well at all ....... you can’t score unless you shoot on target.....
I know Whyte is away, Hall and Sami ate injured and Hanson banned but the bench looks week, yes Okiba scored and it’s a pity he wasn’t on the end of that Nelson chance,
He’s not great in the air and was regularly beaten in the air when long balls came at us
And why oh why did so many of our players seem to slip over the Coventry lads didn’t
A very very poor display with a distinct lack of fight

Can’t disagree with much of that. I too skimmed through the game when I got home.

You make a great point about Oxford players slipping on the pitch.

It must have happened on at least six occasions. It was embarrassing.

It was a worrying performance - Baptiste excepted - and Robinson will need to earn his corn
this week as he gets the players prepared for a big game at Wycombe Wanderers.

Actually, I didn’t think Coventry were too bad. They were well organised, competed, had pace in midfield, and each player knew their jobs, and did them well. As usual we were outthought and a little naive. I know he scored, but my heart sank when, chasing the game, we brought on Obika. What has Smith done wrong? And how about playing Browne up front? I understand he can and would play centrally, he has pace of course, he can score, and any time he was fouled it would be in a more dangerous position. Two shots on goal for the entire team is a disgrace.

Is it my imagination or our players falling over (diving) much more lately than before. Our right back in the second half today was going over before anybody was near him, when it was obvious that he could have got to the beeline. Holmes and Brown are just the same. I know that they’re looking for an advantage, but it really annoys me.

I do not want that but the result next Saturday now takes on an interesting slant. A Wycombe supporting mate tells me he reckons they are crap & a Coventry fan told us before kick-off today that they were! So, no points against supposedly weaker teams might twist Tiger's hand.

I do not want that but the result next Saturday now takes on an interesting slant. A Wycombe supporting mate tells me he reckons they are crap & a Coventry fan told us before kick-off today that they were! So, no points against supposedly weaker teams might twist Tiger's hand.

Robinson wont be getting sacked after 7 or 8 games or 1 defeat in 5 games/2 defeats in 6 games. Just like he wasn't sacked after 4 straight defeats (2 of them heavy defeats).

The problem is simple, second balls in midfield. Didn't get to them enough. Again we lose to a team who play 442, the last two teams Burton and Sunderland played 1 up top and we matched them. Coventry played us at our own game. Did to us what we did to Burton and Sunderland. Robinson needs to go back to 2 upfront because we competed as soon as he did that. Drop one of the 3 behind and use them as a option off the bench as we have nothing on there.

Not sure that's right. I thought their #18 was playing as the lone striker, with #10 in behind? Might be mistaken.

Either way point taken. Nothing stuck at all up top today.

Not sure that's right. I thought their #18 was playing as the lone striker, with #10 in behind? Might be mistaken.

Either way point taken. Nothing stuck at all up top today.
THeir 18 was certainly a big strong guy, had some duels with Nelson and was much effective than any of our strikers. Best player on the pitch though was Junior Brown, no one could get past him

THeir 18 was certainly a big strong guy, had some duels with Nelson and was much effective than any of our strikers. Best player on the pitch though was Junior Brown, no one could get past him

Not sure about that, Brown was caught out several times and gave it away a fair bit as well. Numbers 18 and 10 both the best players out there for me.

I listened to RadOx and I am now in the Robinson out camp. I have never been a fan, but today's interview has swung it for me. When asked about Mitchell, we had a pause of several seconds followed by a non-commital reply. Robinson you brought him in, you have instructed him to kick into touch, he is your player. Don't blame the lad for your failures.
I got the impression that he wanted to blame HIS players, not his tactics or his selections. He moaned about where the ball was being played...you are the manager! He constantly complains about Hall and Carruthers not being available, get over it. Excuse after excuse.

Last edited:
At least the referee was marginally less awful than normal.

And Baptists was good.

Apart from that. Deeply worrying. Robinson sounded like he was going to cry post match and I don't blame him, I felt the same and it's not my job and reputation on the line.

He'll get on well with those that like to leave early then.

I listened to RadOx and I am now in the Robinson out camp. I have never been a fan, but today's interview has swung it for me. When asked about Mitchell, we had a pause of several seconds followed by a non-commital reply. Robinson you brought him in, you have instructed him to kick into touch, he is your player. Don't blame the lad for your failures.
I got the impression that he wanted to blame HIS players, not his tactics or his selections. He moaned about where the ball was being played...you are the manager! He constantly complains about Hall and Carruthers not being available, get over it. Excuse after excuse.

He said he had no problem with their commitment but they weren't playing to what they had been instructed and coached.

Word has it Tiger stormed out after Coventry’s 2nd goal

That is deeply worrying if so. Our future might depend on a decent first 6 months, look at the Chinese investment at Birmingham reckon were in a similar boat personally. No Donalds to ride in like white knights if it goes tits up now.

Back
Top Bottom