Home Match Day Thread 09/04/2022 L1: OUFC v Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunderland forum is frankly bat s**t crazy on match days, meltdowns abounding. I don't look at it any more on match days, as it is not representative of usbmatch goers. Its great on non match days, mind. Some brilliant posters, lots from other teams and some complete bell ends to keep the balance.

They tolerate me, except the Old Duke, he doesn`t since I rumbled him. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Just done what a lot of other people have done, a check against the results of the top ten sides as currently constituted.

Not good news as it says we got just 18 points after 18 games. This is relegation form on its own. Just lucky we did so well against the bottom half of the table (51 points from 24 games). This would suggest the squad is no where as good as was first believed. Yes there have been problems with loss of form, illness, and covid. But the poor window in January didn't help.

I was hoping we would have a boost with the Scummers coming up to join us. But that look a bit iffy right now.

As has been said many many times before, flat track bullies. Any side that lets us play , we normally have a field day and look amazing, any side with a bit of quality,strength , or sides that dont let us play and close the space down we are a totally different proposition. The soft underbelly quote has been mentioned for most of Robinsons tenure .

Just done what a lot of other people have done, a check against the results of the top ten sides as currently constituted.

Not good news as it says we got just 18 points after 18 games. This is relegation form on its own. Just lucky we did so well against the bottom half of the table (51 points from 24 games). This would suggest the squad is no where as good as was first believed. Yes there have been problems with loss of form, illness, and covid. But the poor window in January didn't help.

I was hoping we would have a boost with the Scummers coming up to join us. But that look a bit iffy right now.
And I’m sure most if not all clubs have had issues in these areas.

Don't know how many times it needs to be said, it's only about amassing enough points to each top 6 however that is achieved.

All this hype about beating sides above is just nonsense, we've beaten Wednesday twice Mk, drawn with Rotherham and Wigan and lost to Morecombe Accrington Lincoln among others.

if you believe we're not capable or never beat bigger clubs why keep saying you want to reach the play offs each season if we're just wasting our time.

The League is so good and exciting this season with teams capable of beating one another on a given day

I wonder if Rotherham or Wednesday fans are saying well if we can't beat the likes of Oxford we don't deserve to go up and should get rid of our manager.

If that's aimed at me, Firstly tell me where i said Robinson should be sacked ? More than happy for him to stay but he does have glaring deficiencies that have been here since his arrival. Were these to be addressed , it would massively improve us as a team . And again, who mentioned play offs? But as you did, were we to face a wycombe / Blackpool style team im still not convincing the outcome would be any different again.

Don't know how many times it needs to be said, it's only about amassing enough points to each top 6 however that is achieved.

All this hype about beating sides above is just nonsense, we've beaten Wednesday twice Mk, drawn with Rotherham and Wigan and lost to Morecombe Accrington Lincoln among others.

if you believe we're not capable or never beat bigger clubs why keep saying you want to reach the play offs each season if we're just wasting our time.

The League is so good and exciting this season with teams capable of beating one another on a given day

I wonder if Rotherham or Wednesday fans are saying well if we can't beat the likes of Oxford we don't deserve to go up and should get rid of our manager.

Don't know about Rotherham, but yes - that is pretty much what Wednesday fans were saying in January!

This is the point I've raised before. Every game is important and all worth the same number of points.

In September alone we lost to Wimbledon, Cheltenham and drew against Gillingham. Win all three and we're comfortably sat in 5th. Add in beating Cheltenham at home on NYD and a win away at Morecombe and we're right up there with MK Dons.

This is the point I've raised before. Every game is important and all worth the same number of points.

In September alone we lost to Wimbledon, Cheltenham and drew against Gillingham. Win all three and we're comfortably sat in 5th. Add in beating Cheltenham at home on NYD and a win away at Morecombe and we're right up there with MK Dons.
Isn't the point that we need to do better against the top sides in order to be successful in the play-offs (against them)?

Isn't the point that we need to do better against the top sides in order to be successful in the play-offs (against them)?

Yes, but that is three games. If we faced Sheffield Wednesday and MK Dons in the playoffs then (in theory) it'll be a walk in the park as we have 3 wins from 3.

I know that I'm cherry picking but that's exactly the point. Any game taken in isolation can be used for either argument. However, at this stage it looks like we'll fall short whereas beating the teams I've mentioned would have virtually put ourselves in the automatic places.

Yes, but that is three games. If we faced Sheffield Wednesday and MK Dons in the playoffs then (in theory) it'll be a walk in the park as we have 3 wins from 3.

I know that I'm cherry picking but that's exactly the point. Any game taken in isolation can be used for either argument. However, at this stage it looks like we'll fall short whereas beating the teams I've mentioned would have virtually put ourselves in the automatic places.
But you don't need to cherry pick. I'm not taking our record against 2 or 3 of the Top 9 in isolation, but looking at them all. Our record against them is below par. That isn't to take anything away from our fantastic record against the bottom half (at home at least). Rather than pretend it isn't an issue, surely it is better to look at why?
We have had some decent results against the Top 9. Often these have come away from home and when we've been a little more pragmatic (Wigan away, Ipswich away, Sheff Wed away). Perhaps there is a lesson there in terms of how we set-up and how we play against the better sides?

The stats prove we are not a top side we are not strong enough against the best teams but we are a good team we definitely did not build strong enough this season.

Struggling to understand radox comments….

If we play like we have in the last 3 games, no reason we can’t win?

Disagree.

We need to improve and finish off chances, otherwise we will once again be losing a game we perhaps should have won..

COYY’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom