Home Match Day Thread +++ 09/02/2019 OUFC v Sunderland match day thread +++

Looking back at the Sunderland goal, Max Power grabs hold of Ruffles with both hands and drags him into the path of Eastwood, preventing him getting anywhere near the cross. I though this was a foul watching live from the East Stand but the replay makes it even clearer.

After seeing our goal from a video filmed from the away section it is quite easy to assume it is a foul. But other videos I think shows it not being a foul.

Mackie got a good connection and got it on target away from the goalkeeper, but I just felt he had to generate the pace on the ball rather than just having to connect with it. You could argue that he might have been able to head the ball lower as it was at a good height for the keeper to save.

The miss of the first half was Graham. Had the whole of the goal to hit and missed the target completely.

I think it’s quite shocking that everyone has not taken into account the effect of the bandage. It obviously absorbed some of the power generated while also making it harder to get direction [emoji6]

Mackie got a good connection and got it on target away from the goalkeeper, but I just felt he had to generate the pace on the ball rather than just having to connect with it. You could argue that he might have been able to head the ball lower as it was at a good height for the keeper to save.

The miss of the first half was Graham. Had the whole of the goal to hit and missed the target completely.

That’s basically what I said.

I think it’s quite shocking that everyone has not taken into account the effect of the bandage. It obviously absorbed some of the power generated while also making it harder to get direction [emoji6]

Here they come.

Just think if that had been a Sunderland forward and not Mackie, and Eastie making the save. We've had praised him for being the best goalie in League 1 (which he clearly is, regardless). The ball seemed to be heading just inside the post, and (without scoring) I don't see how Mackie could have done much better. Ruffels, of course, being "one of our own", doesn't get critiqued for putting his header too close to the goalie.

Can’t understand the number of posts criticising Mackies header.
Watch the replays, he attacked it with force,heading it to the left of the goalie,who stretched to make a great save.
Probably wouldn’t have been mentioned if he hadn’t got to it.
And that was a great cross from our right back ( Hanson ??)

Has there ever been a more one sided loss?

I logged out after this post and spent the whole evening gloomingly resisting the urge to read all the the negatives on the forum again!
And then at 10 having a quiet pint in the local my phone became a bundle of joy! Same thing happened with the donny game.
Having watched the highlights I can see what the poster meant.
If we could keep Graham and Browne for next season with Baptiste coming back and staying up with a couple of additions we could have some team! We can hope............

Sadly it's the gamble you take with loans, players like Graham will be snapped up by a club in a higher league..

always said if you're happy with this model, then just enjoy whilst you can as it wont be long before the summer and trying to find them again.

I logged out after this post and spent the whole evening gloomingly resisting the urge to read all the the negatives on the forum again!
And then at 10 having a quiet pint in the local my phone became a bundle of joy! Same thing happened with the donny game.
Having watched the highlights I can see what the poster meant.
If we could keep Graham and Browne for next season with Baptiste coming back and staying up with a couple of additions we could have some team! We can hope............
If Graham continues in this form then I don't think there is any way he will be playing for us, or a League 1 team next season. Same for Browne.

If Graham continues in this form then I don't think there is any way he will be playing for us, or a League 1 team next season. Same for Browne.

The one thing in our favour is he clearly has some sort of affinity to Oxford. It’s the only place he has received decent match time and been appreciated.

Another move to the championship to sit on the bench? If, asKR alluded to there could be money on the horizon, I don’t see why keeping Graham would not be possible.

Browne is another matter. I suspect he will get loaned higher up next season but his agents must be sensible folk to encourage him to remain for the rest of the season.

The one thing in our favour is he clearly has some sort of affinity to Oxford. It’s the only place he has received decent match time and been appreciated.

Another move to the championship to sit on the bench? If, asKR alluded to there could be money on the horizon, I don’t see why keeping Graham would not be possible.

Browne is another matter. I suspect he will get loaned higher up next season but his agents must be sensible folk to encourage him to remain for the rest of the season.
Poor Marcus..should think he might want to be more part of WH 1st team squad at this rate!

As always, the best judge of these things:

Essentially everything that has happened for them this season. Keeper keeps them in it, create very little but somehow score.

They were lucky to get out of it with a point
Bit confused by these stats. Agree we were the better team but I don't think that shows it properly. I can't see how our expected goals were as low as that with some of the chances we had. Was there really only a 1 in 5 chance of Browne scoring from his shot??

Bit confused by these stats. Agree we were the better team but I don't think that shows it properly. I can't see how our expected goals were as low as that with some of the chances we had. Was there really only a 1 in 5 chance of Browne scoring from his shot??

From what I have read, Experimental361 takes these from the BBC live feed, so not entirely nailed on. Looking at Wyscout, they have the Browne chance at 0.48. Im not familiar with the Wyscout model, however I would have anticipated the Browne chance to be larger than that highlighted by Experimental361.

Henry's chance on 59mins and Nelson chance in the second half were our best chances aside from browne's goal. Mackie, Ruffels and Henry all had good chances, however rated low on xG due to being headers (Mackie's chance of 0.15 for example...despite everyone saying 'he should score!').

Back
Top Bottom