Home Match Day Thread +++ 09/02/2019 OUFC v Sunderland match day thread +++

- I needed to give their keeper more credit for the save from Ruffels.

- Jordan Graham will be kicking himself for that miss.

- What a cross by Hanson for Mackie's header. Which he needed to put it a further foot or so to the back post and he'd have scored.

- Nelse was totally caught on the wrong side for their goal.

- Definitely not a foul for our goal. The more I've seen it, the more impressive the composure and play by Jerome Sinclair is. Also great positioning by Marcus Browne with Gavin Whyte clearly busting a gut to get there as he was behind MB.

How didn't at least one of their players get booked for dissent after our equaliser with the crowding around the lino and the Ref (who had already told them to go away)?

I just think that by the time the cross reached Mackie the ball had no pace on it meaning Mackie had to generate all the pace which was a shame.

Keeper's had a good game there really, credit where it's due.
Well worked corner routine. Attack the six yard box while one player blocks the defender and keeper. Nelson needs to be stronger there, or the defender on the line/keeper has to shove him to the ground before play is restarted and hope the ref isn't looking too hard.
Seems to be a foul for our goal, but hey he went down like a tart so shouldn't be too surprised.
Should've, could've won that!

Do think if people are going to slate Dickie for mistakes they have to slate Nelson for his aswell. He made 2 yesterday and i've seen 1 of them not even be mentioned. Gave the ball away on left flank and they got a chance from it. If that was Dickie he would be slated for it heavily

In terms of us not playing football, I think what Sunderland didn't appreciate is that we've tried to not overplay it at the back in recent weeks, so while we will play it out of the back, there are occasions we'll launch it forward and ask the opposition to build from the back.

I have a work associate who is a Derby season ticket holder of more than ten years and he disagrees with you. Says he never came through as a full back but they attempted to turn him into one repeatedly, because he loved to tackle and they knew he would never hold down a centre midfield role there, but that it was a disaster and he never got the hang of it. His exact words when we signed him were “if you try to play him at full back you’ve wasted your money.”

I’m not passing any comment on Hanson or how he’s performed, I’m simply saying that your constant insistence that he “IS a full back” isn’t true. I’ll take the Derby season ticket holder at his word on that.
It's not difficult to find many articles suggesting that Hanson started as a right back.
He even was quoted in the OM 23 November as suggestimg that 'I'd probably say that Ive played more as a right back than in midfield so it was nothing new

In terms of us not playing football, I think what Sunderland didn't appreciate is that we've tried to not overplay it at the back in recent weeks, so while we will play it out of the back, there are occasions we'll launch it forward and ask the opposition to build from the back.

I mean, we did score vs Barnsley doing this along with Burton having a man set off following long balls behind the defence.

The notion of a 'natural position' is pretty dinosaurish, goalkeeper aside.

'He wants us to win.
He wants us to win.
That Stewart Donald.
He wants us to win'

Or something like that.
Glad our fans sang this rather than the song about Gavin Whyte which has been sung several times at home games - now that really is cringey :mad::mad:

We'll have to agree to disagree as that cross was pinpoint imo and Mackie should have done far better.

Lack of pace on the ball was key, it nearly didn’t reach him it was so flighty ?
But I get your point but he is playing in L1 for a reason.

Another really promising performance and yet again we can rightfully feel disappointed that we didn't pick up three points. It's quite incredible to think that we've been the better side against Portsmouth, Barnsley and Sunderland and yet still sit perilously close to the drop zone.

Sunderland created absolutely zilch and actually looked quite a poor team from where I was sitting. How anyone can claim they deserved their halftime lead is beyond me - we had 3 really good goal scoring opportunities (Graham, Ruffels Mackie) and generally played the better football. Second half was also all Oxford. Had we not got a goal it would've been an absolute steal for Sunderland (which, based on statistics over the course of the season, they've had plenty of).

It's also quite hilarious rewatching their players having a go at the lino and ref for not blowing up against Sinclair in the build up to the goal. I don't see how they (or their fans) can have any complaints now they've had the chance to rewatch it.

A quick word on the ref - he's up there with Kettle as being the worst football league referee I've seen. He booked Mackie and Mousinho for innocuous fouls (not sure Mackie's was even a foul, he took an elbow to the head) but didn't book their man for cleaning out Whyte after he'd been done for pace. He bought every single one of their dives (probably why they were so indignant at not being awarded a free kick before our goal), played advantage when there wasn't one and stopped play when there was. I don't want to be too harsh on the guy, but he should t be reffing any more league games for a long time.

All that said, we're still struggling to get wins and we're still uncomfortably close to the relegation zone. We must start making our good play count. Draws are not good enough right now.

Had a gander at the Mackem's forum and that match thread is good for a laugh. Their crying about our shithousery is a right chortle considering what they got away with and the help of the Ref they had for most of the game. Nice to see plenty recognising it wasn't a foul by Sinclair for our goal though and particularly liked this description of their defender (Jimmy Dunne) for it: "He looks like a man in the throws of being electrocuted rather than being tripped".

I also found it amusing those Mackems who thought they should be hammering little old Oxford as we are very near the bottom. I do agree with those though who suggest the tactics being employed by Jack Ross with the players he has at his disposable being negative and a bit bizarre.

Lack of pace on the ball was key, it nearly didn’t reach him it was so flighty ?
But I get your point but he is playing in L1 for a reason.

Mackie got a good connection and got it on target away from the goalkeeper, but I just felt he had to generate the pace on the ball rather than just having to connect with it. You could argue that he might have been able to head the ball lower as it was at a good height for the keeper to save.

The miss of the first half was Graham. Had the whole of the goal to hit and missed the target completely.

Back
Top Bottom