Home Match Day Thread +++ 09/02/2019 OUFC v Sunderland match day thread +++

1-0 Oxford
Get the ball down move it around and use the pace outwide.stop them playing and we can beat anyone.

Eastwood
Hanson Nelson Dickie Ruffels
Mousinho
Brannagan Henry
Browne Sinclair Graham

Goal from Mousinho

Set pieces will cause them issues tomorrow. One thing I think we may struggle with is the wings two CM against two CM, wingers going to have to work there arses of tomorrow.
A lot is being (correctly) made of the Sunderland wingers v CM matchup. So with that in mind I’d start Whyte. I think he does an impressive amount of defensive work for a winger. Browne would still be a great option to have off the bench.

Starting from now, I think we need to go on a winning run. Players are in, injury situation has improved and we have a relatively settled squad. 1-0 win (Whyte screamer) 2moro then I think 2 more wins on the bounce. COYY

I posted the below in the original Sunderland game thread, but Malc decided to close the thread 20 minutes later! So I've copied it below for those who may wish to read it or comment. Really not sure why the other thread had to be closed?!?!?!

"Well we've done it.

The club announced 10,108 sales about half an hour ago. I've just done a count up and make it as follows:

North - 2,322 (253 left) = 90.17% occupancy
East - 2,215 (664 left) = 76.94% occupancy
S Lower - 1,947 (355 left) = 84.58% occupancy
S Upper - 1,953 (221 left) = 89.83% occupancy
Away - 1,823
Total - 10,260 = 84.96% home areas occupancy

So a slight difference, (which may be to do with processing of sales?) but a good effort and possibly another few hundred to come. We've sold 162 since The Curragh posted five hours ago, (about 300 on the club's reckoning) so I'd think 10,500 is not impossible. It's interesting to see how the East Stand appears less popular than previously and I think this is due to the increased popularity of the North Stand.

Bloody good job we didn't give Sunderland that extra 1,000 tickets!!!"

Tickets still seem to be selling. Really is odd East Stand has lowest occupancy. Is there a pricing policy here to consider for next season?

Tickets still seem to be selling. Really is odd East Stand has lowest occupancy. Is there a pricing policy here to consider for next season?
Isn't it more expensive in the North Stand where some people seem to have chosen above the East Stand?

10,209 tickets sold as of 6.20pm (that it correlating it back into the club's announced figures) - 100 in the last four hours.

1392 left (188 SSU, 334 SSL, 211 NS, 649 ES)

Starting from now, I think we need to go on a winning run. Players are in, injury situation has improved and we have a relatively settled squad. 1-0 win (Whyte screamer) 2moro then I think 2 more wins on the bounce. COYY
I think every home match after tomorrow we should be expecting to win. The exception being Donny, but we should be comfortably safe by then.

A lot is being (correctly) made of the Sunderland wingers v CM matchup. So with that in mind I’d start Whyte. I think he does an impressive amount of defensive work for a winger. Browne would still be a great option to have off the bench.
The issue here is Browne tore them to pieces in reverse fixture so he has to start. The reason I would start Browne is Whyte looked very leggy against Burton so would give him 20-25 minutes at the end. Whatever wingers we start we will have a proper attacking threat off the bench for once.

The issue here is Browne tore them to pieces in reverse fixture so he has to start. The reason I would start Browne is Whyte looked very leggy against Burton so would give him 20-25 minutes at the end. Whatever wingers we start we will have a proper attacking threat off the bench for once.
That’s fair. I wasn’t at burton so didn’t see Whyte there, so don’t know how knackered he’s looking. Assuming he’s recovered after a week off though, I was just thinking more, use Whyte to help Hanson nullify (Mcgeady?) and then, when they’re leggy after 65+ mins, unleash Browne.

Really hoping Brown can recapture his pre- Southend form and attitude.
Here’s to him carving up the wing and onwards through the defence .

I wonder if we have picked up some race goers who will have cancelled their trip to Newbury tomorrow? Now that we have lost Charlie to the Mackams, I think we should install BBC Racing Correspondant Cornelius Lysaght (that really is how his spells him name) as our official number 1 posh fan. I did hear him once confess on Radio 5 that Oxford was his favourite team.

Last edited:
Hoping for a win tomorrow. We have to go at them I feel. Going 2-0 with Whyte and Mackie scoring. I have just been having a look on their als forum and a few of them reckon they have tickets in the South lower and East stands. The tool from Swindon rubbishes everything about us and our city. ( Oh the irony). A good number are also having a weekend down here and appear to be doing the tourist side of it also.
In the 80s and 90s I worked with a Sunderland fan who I believe is still a season ticket holder and went to a few games with him when we weren’t playing. I remember they needed a point the season Peter Reid took over to stay up which they obtained with a game to go by drawing at Burnley. 7000 or so Mackems were ecstatic and I was chuffed as well as that point sent Swindon down ?. Always found them decent and passionate.

Last edited:
I still remember that season when their fans were in the London Road and they threw pieces of broken-up corrugated whatever-it-was at us. That was mental, with many fans suffering nasty cuts.

I still remember that season when their fans were in the London Road and they threw pieces of broken-up corrugated whatever-it-was at us. That was mental, with many fans suffering nasty cuts.

Not sure if it was the same year (1991?) but I remember a small number of Sunderland fans congregating at the front of the right side London Road. A few chants were struck up, a pause while those nearby tried to work out if it was a wind up, before some left-sides migrated around to meet them for tea and biscuits.

Well the view from the east stand is pretty s**t and it’s a feeble sort of home end. It’s hardly the kop

Maybe this is stating the obvious but it all depends on which Oxford turn up today. If its the same team that turned up against Portsmouth and Barnsley then we will win. If its the other team we will get beaten. Fingers crossed its the first. I think it will be so therefore 2-1 to the mighty Yellows. My fiancée is coming today. She is not a football fan but she really wanted to see today's game for the atmosphere so let's hope she is not disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom