Home Match Day Thread +++ 09/02/2019 OUFC v Sunderland match day thread +++

Tomorrow is pretty massive TBH, not just our game but others too - a lot of the teams around us in the table have on paper fairly winnable games. We could, worst case, find ourselves 3 points from safety come 5pm tomorrow.
But I'm on the positive, so will go for a resounding 2-0 victory, Mackie and Browne, in front of a partizan 10,377 crowd. COYY.
We almost certainly need 50 to 52 points t9 stay up.
A draw would be a decent result and win would be huge regardless of how the others do.

Dunno why , Im overflowing with confidence for tomorrows match, weve not given anyone a real tonking this season (yet) .... weve not yet won away, and only got our first home league draw of the season v Barnsley... I feel them Mackams are in for a proper thrashing Oufc 4 mackems 0 .... Sinclair with a brace plus Ruffles & Browne with 1 apiece UTM

I posted the below in the original Sunderland game thread, but Malc decided to close the thread 20 minutes later! So I've copied it below for those who may wish to read it or comment. Really not sure why the other thread had to be closed?!?!?!

"Well we've done it.

The club announced 10,108 sales about half an hour ago. I've just done a count up and make it as follows:

North - 2,322 (253 left) = 90.17% occupancy
East - 2,215 (664 left) = 76.94% occupancy
S Lower - 1,947 (355 left) = 84.58% occupancy
S Upper - 1,953 (221 left) = 89.83% occupancy
Away - 1,823
Total - 10,260 = 84.96% home areas occupancy

So a slight difference, (which may be to do with processing of sales?) but a good effort and possibly another few hundred to come. We've sold 162 since The Curragh posted five hours ago, (about 300 on the club's reckoning) so I'd think 10,500 is not impossible. It's interesting to see how the East Stand appears less popular than previously and I think this is due to the increased popularity of the North Stand.

Bloody good job we didn't give Sunderland that extra 1,000 tickets!!!"

2-2 is predicted. I thought that was quite fair to be honest. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go, James. I saved it so when the moderators delete your account the link stays and you get your free bag of mini-bagels from 'master'.
Hey PC. Shouldn't there be an L in the last word of your signature?

McGeady v Hanson is a worry for me. No way he’s a full back. Hope I’m wrong though

Matt Everett has said on twitter that maximum ticket sales for tomorrow would be 11,586 when taking out segregation and restricted view seats from total capacity.

I've missed a lot of home games this season, for various reasons but I'll be there tomorrow and looking forward to it. Haven't been to a game since Bristol Rovers at home, so will need to dust the season ticket off!

On form we have no chance. But oddly I have more hope for this match than many others. Mainly because Sunderland will come here to attack. Our only real attacking outlet is the two wingers and we rely on fast breakaways to score. Lesser teams just defend and we don't have any real quality in midfield to break defences down.
Let's hope.

Right. I've had a bit of a mixed reaction on here this week with a couple of my threads.

My prediction for the Sunderland game is Oxford United 1 (That new bloke) Sunderland 1 (its obvious) Att: 10001 with 1802 Sunderland fans.
This is going to be a rather boring game. But the events not related to the match are interesting me. The game will start 30 minutes late, because Nissan, who supply the coach, will change their mind about lending it to Sunderland, due to Brexit. The team will all have to thumb a lift to get here. There will be a change of ref before the match starts, because he went on telly the night before and debunked the moon landing of 1969. It was decided he is a t**t and was too embarrased to turn up. Sykes and Whyte will get into a fight, arguing about who is a true Celt. Erick Thohir will warn them he has a Viking background, so watch it.
Oxford will win the toss, and 200 of their (Sunderland) fans will leave the ground in disgust.
Oxford will be shooting towards the car park end and most of their shots will land in the car park....................near the club shop.
Maguire will score the luckiest goal ever seen at the Curse-Him Stadium. We will score the shittiest goal ever seen in a football match, but who cares?
One of the goal posts will break. A pigeon will drop dead, mid-flight and land on Eastwood's finger - breaking it. It gets worse.
Nelson will injure his coccyx after jumping the wall at the East end. No-one will know why he did it.
Their centre-half will fracture his clavicle, whist raising Maguire up, after scoring.
The score-board will explode, as will the director's box. Robinson will be strangely quiet during the game.
The ref will book 5 players from us and 6 from them. Turns out, he has an attention-seeking disorder.
Charlie Farley will be seen wearing a scarf with 'Sunderford' printed on it. He hasn't chosen us or them, yet.
A dog will run onto the pitch. The fans will sing my name when it does.
One of the hot-dog stands will run out of cooking gas, so will have to shut early.
An ambulance will drive onto the pitch, after a hoax phone call.
That just about does it for me. COYY

Last edited:
I posted the below in the original Sunderland game thread, but Malc decided to close the thread 20 minutes later! So I've copied it below for those who may wish to read it or comment. Really not sure why the other thread had to be closed?!?!?!

"Well we've done it.

The club announced 10,108 sales about half an hour ago. I've just done a count up and make it as follows:

North - 2,322 (253 left) = 90.17% occupancy
East - 2,215 (664 left) = 76.94% occupancy
S Lower - 1,947 (355 left) = 84.58% occupancy
S Upper - 1,953 (221 left) = 89.83% occupancy
Away - 1,823
Total - 10,260 = 84.96% home areas occupancy

So a slight difference, (which may be to do with processing of sales?) but a good effort and possibly another few hundred to come. We've sold 162 since The Curragh posted five hours ago, (about 300 on the club's reckoning) so I'd think 10,500 is not impossible. It's interesting to see how the East Stand appears less popular than previously and I think this is due to the increased popularity of the North Stand.

Bloody good job we didn't give Sunderland that extra 1,000 tickets!!!"
I liked the old thread as well ...

Looking forward to tomorrow, I see this as an opportunity for us to have a proper go at them. I doubt that they will come to defend too heavily and that gives us the chance to hit them hard on the flanks.
If our new striker can find a little space inside then we really do have every chance of turning them over. COYY

1-0 Oxford
Get the ball down move it around and use the pace outwide.stop them playing and we can beat anyone.

Eastwood
Hanson Nelson Dickie Ruffels
Mousinho
Brannagan Henry
Browne Sinclair Graham

Goal from Mousinho

Set pieces will cause them issues tomorrow. One thing I think we may struggle with is the wings two CM against two CM, wingers going to have to work there arses of tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom