Away Match Day Thread +++ 09/01/2018 Charlton Athletic v OUFC EFL Trophy +++

I went to a couple of cup games at the Valley a few years ago when we drew Charlton in both the League and FA Cup and the attendances both times were sub-6000. That felt very empty back then.

I live 30 minutes away.
Wouldn’t cross the road to watch this game.
Ridiculous ‘competiton’.
The sooner we are out of it the better.
I agree but OUFC do get "income" from EPL/EFL clubs, so from a cash flow view point it makes sense to be involved. AKA "sweating" the asset (large playing squad). Run to last years final brought in significant income.

I went to a couple of cup games at the Valley a few years ago when we drew Charlton in both the League and FA Cup and the attendances both times were sub-6000. That felt very empty back then.
In the 80's they closed the massive and crumbling (70,000+) terrace to the right of the away end for safety reasons. That looked VERY empty then.

Although I don’t really care about this competition I hope we win.
Winning matches can only be good for confidence going forward.
COYY

Is this being streamed live on iplayer?

Good question. The Gillingham game was well done with commentary and multiple cameras. Would be nice to try again tonight.
But looking at the match day page on the OWS looks like there is only commentary tonight. Boo. Shame.

According to the club link (Tweets) on this page it’s being streamed live in the UK.

One of the reasons I wouldn't go is because the EFL used the large crowd at last year's final as justification for the u23 team nonsense. There is a long game here and it will be the death of lower league football. In a few years the Prem will offer L1/L2 clubs very large sums of money to let their B teams in. This poxy Cup will be used as 'proof' that supporters would like it. They will also cite Germany where B teams are allowed below Bundesliga 2. Most clubs will need the cash and will take up the offer. And then you will see positions 1-6 in L1 taken up by B teams who are not allowed to get promoted. The Checkatrade Trophy is a Trojan Horse to extend Prem domination of the EFL! You heard it here first.....

One of the reasons I wouldn't go is because the EFL used the large crowd at last year's final as justification for the u23 team nonsense. There is a long game here and it will be the death of lower league football. In a few years the Prem will offer L1/L2 clubs very large sums of money to let their B teams in. This poxy Cup will be used as 'proof' that supporters would like it. They will also cite Germany where B teams are allowed below Bundesliga 2. Most clubs will need the cash and will take up the offer. And then you will see positions 1-6 in L1 taken up by B teams who are not allowed to get promoted. The Checkatrade Trophy is a Trojan Horse to extend Prem domination of the EFL! You heard it here first.....

It's been mentioned many times before.

Have I used up all my luck starting matchday threads?

Should I be starting a matchday thread in the EFL Trophy?

What will the matchday thread Gods make of it?

We’ll find out soon enough. On to the game, well to honest I’m too confident about this one, however I can see us sneaking a fortuitous draw, probably a score draw.

Pep surprises everyone by reverting back to a lone striker.

Van Kessel is forgiven for not passing on Saturday, Thomas isn’t and drops to the bench.

2-2 Obika & Van Kessel, with Holmes scoring for Charlton. We win 5-4 on penalties.

Eastwood
Carroll, Martin, Williamson, Ricardinho,
Ledson, Mowatt,
Henry, Payne, Van Kessel,
Obika.

Subs, Shearer, Tiendalli, Ruffels, Xemi, Thomas, Napa, Mehmeti.

Eastwood is "injured"

I agree. Liga 3 has a number of second teams which cant be promoted into Bundesliga 2. Below Liga 3 the leagues are organised regional basis, which, I think makes sense. The Bundesliga was formed in 1963. Before, German football was organised on a regional basis. In 55yrs Germany have won 3 world cups. I say copy the Germans.

Back
Top Bottom