Away Match Day Thread +++ 09/01/2018 Charlton Athletic v OUFC EFL Trophy +++

It might be a tin pot trophy but the club receive 40k for tonight’s win.

Also valuable league 1 opposition experience for Napa & Mehmeti.

Last edited:
I thought it was interesting how downbeat Pep was tonight and he was quite realistic about recent performances not being good enough. When he was congratulated about the win he said something along the lines of it just being a draw. He really had to be encouraged to accept it as a win before finally lightening up and agreeing that it was indeed a win. I can’t help but like the guy, and even though this is a s#!tty competition it would be nice if he finally got us a win in it at Wembley. Then we can finally let somebody else have a go at it ?

my first prolonged view of the team well only the second half. At times we played some very good football just a bit shot shy. Jack Payne a class ahead we must keep him for the rest of the season and Lego. Napa looked a bit raw but will come good with gametime. I thought Tiendalli looked alright and I would like to see more of Mehmeti took his pen well. Great energy on the pitch which is a credit to pep. All in all thought we looked ok dominated the second half

A lot better in the second half. I’m pleased we’re having a bit of a cup success. Tiendalli did well.

Hats off to those that travelled.

Cannice getting stuck in over the top again, Yellow card he has to calm down
C'mon Nappa you doing really well now for a goal
Napa all over the pitch.
Canice isn't playing well, that was a crap. Lost the ball then out his hand on the defender to give away a free kick.
Thinking about Pep's interview regarding young players these posts lend some credibility to his remarks. Do we want young hungry players playing with passion? I do! Of course they'll make mistakes but we need to encourage and support them and let the management iron out the ripples! People were crying out for Cannice to play over the old has beens so when he plays he gets knocked for mistakes. People wanted Napa to play and he looked good and got rightly praised. If he makes a mistake at Walsall will the fans be hammering him too? You can't have your cake and eat it!

Apparently Clotet just laughed when asked about Milwall and Ruffels. Clammed up about the rest.

Thinking about Pep's interview regarding young players these posts lend some credibility to his remarks. Do we want young hungry players playing with passion? I do! Of course they'll make mistakes but we need to encourage and support them and let the management iron out the ripples! People were crying out for Cannice to play over the old has beens so when he plays he gets knocked for mistakes. People wanted Napa to play and he looked good and got rightly praised. If he makes a mistake at Walsall will the fans be hammering him too? You can't have your cake and eat it!
No I like Cannice but he has to conduct himself a bit better, off course he’s a youngster whom is playing regular 1st team football against pro’s of experience who will do what they can to rule him. I would love Cannice to walk away if they try to batter him into making a mistake.
I would of loved Cannice to have rolled around after Charley Wykes 2 footed challenge at Bradford Maybe then Wyke wouldn’t have had his red card overturned and that would of pissed of Bradford, but that’s honesty from the youngster he just gave him lip and walked away, 2/3!yea down the line he may rollbaround and make sure the illegal challenge against him doesn’t go unpunished.

No I like Cannice but he has to conduct himself a bit better, off course he’s a youngster whom is playing regular 1st team football against pro’s of experience who will do what they can to rule him. I would love Cannice to walk away if they try to batter him into making a mistake.
I would of loved Cannice to have rolled around after Charley Wykes 2 footed challenge at Bradford Maybe then Wyke wouldn’t have had his red card overturned and that would of pissed of Bradford, but that’s honesty from the youngster he just gave him lip and walked away, 2/3!yea down the line he may rollbaround and make sure the illegal challenge against him doesn’t go unpunished.
Agree with a lot of your comments but it's for the coaching team to develop his awareness and decision making NOT the fans at the game or on social media. Moan at an old pro but not a young lad LEARNING his trade is the point I'm trying to make.

So that was a fun evening out,,,,

First half we were very poor. Ricardinho looked like he had forgotten how to play and was way off the pace. His horrible misplaced cross field pass cost us the goal but Carroll was slow to react. Carroll over complicated it at times too and gave their very good left wing back far too much space. Maybe he’s not quite quick enough. Interestingly there was a break in play when their goal scorer was injured (before then going off) and Pep obviously said something to Thomas as from that point on he put a real shift in. Worked hard up and down the pitch.

Second half played much further up the pitch. Noticeably Pep much more vocal and bollocking a few for not concentrating or marking up. (One of the benefits of an empty stadium is you can here the manager). Good to see. Tiendalli came on and played higher up too. Closed their right wing back down before he could get going. Lego and Mowatt gained a bit of control. Good goal from Thomas - real desire to get his shot away. Couple of ropey moments but lots of long shots that didn’t trouble Shearer. Williamson safe but always a bit prone to being caught for pace. Martin looked good. Couple of very classy contributions. Deserved the draw and the penalties were classy and Shearer was fantastic - with the exception of his “Dad dance” celebration.

Well done to the other 121 there to see it. I don’t particularly like the competition but it’s my team in action and I want to support them!

Evening at Stamford Bridge next please......

Agree with a lot of your comments but it's for the coaching team to develop his awareness and decision making NOT the fans at the game or on social media. Moan at an old pro but not a young lad LEARNING his trade is the point I'm trying to make.
But fans who may moan a bad To are only wanting the best for him. I was only saying for him to be a bit
More aware as I want to see him nail the RB slot unless he is moved into midfield

But fans who may moan a bad To are only wanting the best for him. I was only saying for him to be a bit
More aware as I want to see him nail the RB slot unless he is moved into midfield
Bazzer, your posts after we conceded didn't criticise the Brazilian legend Riccy even though he cost us a goal. You chose to moan about a youngster whose conduct didn't lead to a game changing incident of any sort! Perspective is needed by fans when wanting to see our own youngsters in the team.

Is the quarter final televised or is that just the semi?

The draw is tomorrow night, on the EFL matters programme on Sky.

I think Yeovil missed a trick last night.
Tickets stubs guarantee a ticket for the Man Utd FA cup tie ?

Back
Top Bottom